main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GAVs Junkie Base- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Armored Cavalry thread)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LelalMekha, Oct 31, 2017.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Someone noted, a little while back, that walkers and other armored cavalry vehicles could not really be discussed in the Fleet Junkie thread. And although I wouldn't call myself a GAV junkie, I still thought it was a shame. So I decided to start one right away.

Since I didn't really know how to start it properly, I'd like to talk of Star Wars: Rogue One: AT-ACT Deluxe Book and 3D Wood Model. Like all woodshop activity sets in this collection, it comes with a thirty-two page hardcover book, this one written by Michael Kogge. Although 32 pages is rather short, this little book is very well done. Most of the lore it contains is lifted from Legends and earlier canon sources, but some of it is actually brand new. For example, this book was the first to name the First Order All Terrain Patrol Droid (yes, even before On the Front Lines) and the All Terrain Mobile Artillery. The book also includes new names of arms manufacturers and blaster cannon models.​

[​IMG]

I'll give you a sample of the book's introduction:
    And here's a complete breakdown of the book:
    1. Introduction
    2. AT-ACT (2 pages)
    3. AT-AT (2 pages)
    4. AT-AT vehicle command crew (2 pages)
    5. AT-ST (2 pages)
    6. AT-TE (2 pages)
    7. AT-ST (2 pages)
    8. AT-RT (2 pages)
    9. Walkers of war (2 pages; a general history of walkers, from AOTC to TFA)
    10. Behind the scenes (6 pages)
    11. Interview with Doug Chiang (2 pages)
    So far, this 32-page gem is the most complete canonsource on walkers we have.

Now of course, this thread is not just for discussing walkers, but all GAVs (ground assault vehicles) and other armored cavalry vehicles: tanks, hovertanks, juggernauts, groundcars... you name it.

So... there you are.

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Weird that that book doesn't discuss the AT-DP given how prominently it has been featured in the new canon. And yay, a place where I can geek out about how cool it is that the MLC-3 is canon!

[​IMG]

I'd flip (in a good way) if the MTV-7 or CAP-2 ever made it in. Come on, Lucasfilm, you know you want to...

3. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    The MTV-7 did make it. It appears in both Star Wars: Commander and Star Wars: Force Arena. ;) Of course, it still has to appear in a real story.

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Ground combat never gets the same attention as space combat.

5. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Which is why the release of On the Front Lines was good news (even though it did contain space battles). But if they were to release the manual for Colonel Julyan's Strategy and Tactics class at the Arkanis Academy, I'd buy it.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    One of the things that has really bugged me is how the 112th Repulsorlift Armor Regiment or Hell's Hammers has been handled, the Imperial Handbook apparently named them as the Imperial Hammers Elite Armor Unit, which was enough for the Wookieepedia article to be renamed as such and remove almost all traces of the old name.

Landb and Yoda_Jammies like this.
  7. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Does that book have anything about the AT-AP? I've always found their design interesting but they haven't appeared much in anything, even in the later episodes of TCW surprisingly.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  8. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Yay, finally a place to discuss land vehicles/airspeeders! :cool:

The AT-AP was sorely overlooked in most sources. It's a beautiful design and a good way to showcase a diverse land force throughout different theaters of operation. It always reminded me of a space-StuG. Even the design is reminiscent of the StuG's, using elements of the AT-TE tank for an artillery walker.

I've seen some data-mining of vehicles in BF2:
    There's a Rebel AT-RT and X-34 speeder, retrofit with a Mark II medium repeating blaster. Nice to see the cross-referencing of AT-RTs in Rebel service and a Rebel technical.

https://i.imgur.com/3io1ei7.png
    https://i.imgur.com/BiJH8fP.png
    This is also a good place for me to geek out about the laser ice-cutter. A cool Rebel speeder that is also fairly obscure. It's featured in several documentaries, promo stills and a cut-scene with Luke:

https://i.imgur.com/Fb2hLWn.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/ll4kLJ4.png
    https://i.imgur.com/e3ghZ4s.jpg

It's seen in the film ESB, in corners of the screen or in the background of the outdoor battle:

https://i.imgur.com/65b6usk.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/TaWUopV.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/TFDps4G.jpg

9. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Nope, not even a mention. :confused: The AT-OT, however, is briefly referenced in the AT-TE spread.

Obscure indeed! I had never heard about it.

DarthJaceus and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  10. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Wow this is actually the first time I have seen/heard of this vehicle. Does it have an in-universe name?

11. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Only laser ice-cutter, even the Lego set featuring it didn't elaborate more.

12. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  13. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Well done, about time. I love my capital ships above all else, but the ground forces are neglected far too often. The more walkers and repulsortanks the better.

NCISliar, JABoomer and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  14. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    So happy this thread is now a thing. I really hope we get more ground combat in future films. Hey maybe we will even have the final battle of 9 be a ground assault.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  15. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    Absolutely, but at least the walkers aren't that bad off. Whenever there's a planetary battle going on, it usually involves walkers. Repulsortanks are somewhat rare in comparison, but there's still a lot of media representing them, even including the episode Phantom Menace. There was even a game, that was mostly dedicated to controlling walkers and tanks: 2002's The Clone Wars. Now there's two even more neglected forces that also need some love:

1. Actual planes like the K-222 Aero-Interceptor, most air battles simply involve starfighters or snowspeeders

2. The in my opinion least represented kind of warfare by far is naval battles, over and under the sea are equally rare. Off course there are some memorable exceptions like the several battles of Mon Calamari and some missions in the Starfighter series of video games as well as Galactic Battlegrounds. But yeah, these are exceptions for a reason, unfortunately.

By the way, did you know that the old Battlefront 3 was going to feature a republic tank from RotS concept art?

16. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I agree that we need more sea battles. The Imperial arsenal isn't too shabby, though. We have...
    -AQ-5 Waveskimmer
    -Aquatic AT-AT
    -Acklay-class walker
    -Shark Fighter
    -and others.
    It'd be nice to see any of these beauts on the big screen.

17. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Grievousdude If you like AT-AP, you probably know they're included in the iOS game Star Wars: Force Arena.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grievousdude and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  18. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    I don't have a device that I can play it on so I didn't know about that. Nice to see they have finally appeared in something else though. Hopefully I'll be able to play Force Arena someday and see how effective they are in game

19. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I've only played with Rebellion-era units so far. My winning deck notably includes Leia, Evaan, Rebel Honor Guards and MLC-3 tanks. The latter are, of course totally relevant to this thread. I'm glad this Mini Rig was introduced in three iOS games and the Rebels comics. I wish it had appeared in the animated series, though.

20. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Have the AT-KT's been recanonized in any mobile games yet? I'm thinking of the walkers that fire missiles in the Force Unleashed games. AT-KT rings a bell but I don't know if it's the exact name or not.

21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    You mean the ones with the net guns, right? No, not that I know of.

In other news, the second book in the Join the Resistance series briefly mentions that the First Order also uses "spider walkers" (or at least, Commander Wanten's company on Vodran does). I like to think they're talking of MT-ATs from the Jedi Academy trilogy, although it's highly unlikely. It's probably a reference to OG-9 homing spider droids.

King of Alsakan and Grievousdude like this.
  22. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    I loved the MT-AT chapter in Champions of the force. Would be great if they came back.

23. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    While most versions of AT-STs are able to fire missiles at you (and of course they will), you're probably referring to the All Terrain Missile Platform. So yeah, the walker got it's first re-appearance quite soon.

Honestly I believe it refers to either the All Terrain Patrol Droid, which kind of looks like a FO OG-9, or the heavy scout walker, which even features eight legs.

Yeah, unfortunately every walker besides the AT-AT, AT-ST, AT-TE, maybe the AT-RT and even the AT-PT with some wishful thinking is underrepresented and seldomly (if at all) featured.

For example I wish they would have elaborated on the Mountain Terrain Scout Transport some more, especially giving it a nice imperial design.

Also am I the only one who would have wanted to see the All Terrain Defense Pod and All Terrain Advance Raider coexist? I really don't see any reasons not to feature both versions and focusing on the Defense Pod exclusively. Sure, they obviously have a lot in common, but there are also quite a few differences, like the Raiders larger fixed gun and therefore different tactical role.

24. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Speaking of walkers that were underused, I always wished we would have seen more of the AT-XT.

First appearing in the 2002 video game The Clone Wars it has been seen very little since then, which is a shame as I quite like the design. Though its absence in other clone wars material at the time was due, at least according to wookipedia, it being a experimental walker, hence its name and scarce appearances.

[​IMG]

25. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015

Seems more like a reference to the AT-PD (All Terrain Patrol Droid) to me. https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/TFA-Walker.png

Sure it's not exactly "spider like" since it only has 4 legs. But it does look vaguely crab like what with the "eyes" on top. It's the only First Order walker we know of that looks at all insectoid, so I'd say it's probably either the AT-PD or a new walker we haven't seen before. No way are the First Order, who are all about new technology, going to use a walker from the Clone Wars nearly 60 years out of date.