main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC IMDb for Hollywood/Celebrity/Famous sexual predators

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Oct 30, 2017.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I see Gossip Girl actor Ed Westwick has been accused of rape by a second woman. I knew things were bad around guys with a lot of fame and power but I hadn't dreamt it was as widespread as it obviously is, or that even famous people seem scared of rocking the boat. I imagine part of the problem in the entertainment industry is that there is just so much stuff actors don't want a light shined on - drug use, extramarital affairs etc that a culture of secrecy has grown up to surround and protect that lifestyle, and along with it the nastier stuff gets protected too.

2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    George Lucas thinks it would be fun to have Indiana Jones diddle a twelve year old. Steven likes it and wants to blame her as the aggressor.

Diggy likes this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    ...and Joe thinks that's okay? Alrighty then.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Remind me: who broke the John Edwards affair? :p

So, yeah, occasionally the Enquirer breaks things because they DNGAF about lawsuits that can come up, even if the stuff is true...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
  6. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Yep. He's cool with this. If I was the mods I would start an investigation into CuppaJoe start with his PMs. We may have a Sapient on our hands.

7. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    At this point, I'll just start a list of actors whom I hope were genuinely good people.

Jimmy Stewart
    Gregory Peck
    Christopher Reeve

8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Christopher Reeve was an animal abuser.

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    At the risk of making a bad joke, Harvey Weinstein has brought the entire industry to its knees. And not just Hollywood now either. This is starting to feel like the biggest gender/sexual political cultural earthquake in a decade. And about time too.

Rew likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Both the Louis CK and the Roy Moore stories are so impeccably sourced, it's like the respective newspapers knew they'd have both the white liberals and the white conservatives frothing at the mouth... boom goes the dynamite...

11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    where was this published ? is it in a book ?

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004

i'm not sure what you mean by that comment. why would anyone froth at the mouth about louis ck? i mean i admired almost all of his work but that doesn't mean i know him at all, certainly not well enough to defend him against allegations of sexual misconduct. i liked a lot of bill cosby's work and kevin spacey's too. that doesn't mean i had any inclination as to whether they are disgusting creeps or not. i just feel terrible for the victims and apparently for anyone trying to make it in the entertainment industry, where you seemingly can't trust any man with any modicum of influence or power.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Louis C.K.'s latest standup routine on Netflix is really dark. I don't know if that makes him a hero of the left, but I hate to see someone with such a dark sense of humor turn out to have an actual really well-developed dark side. It makes all of us with dark senses of humor look bad.

Re: Raiders - Seems like there's enough actual sexual harassment being reported that maybe we can give unrealized fictional statutory rape a pass for now.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

tom, I love you like a brother -- but you clearly haven't been online reading about these things for ages (on Gawker, Defamer, etc.)... folks who defended him, despite these allegations, for years... I mean, just the worst types of white-boy pride of "gold diggers," "attention seekers," "untrustworthy"...

15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    http://maddogmovies.com/almost/scripts/raidersstoryconference1978.pdf

gezvader28 likes this.
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, that's true. the allegations were new to me, but i saw in the stories that they had been circulating for quite some time. but, upon reflection, it's not too surprising that people would defend him and blame the victims. i have, after all, read a great deal of horrible internet comments. all of this is just so depressing, from every angle.

Rylo Ken and dp4m like this.
  17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Gawker blind item was vague and people deservedly did not trust a site that ended up drowning in its own sleaze. Obviously sexist remarks are indefensible, but uncorroborated rumors weren't exactly proof.

Now that there are publicly named accusers and a thorough story by a source with a modicum of integrity, the accusations are a lot more believable.

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

You're talking about centuries of workplace culture. The rise of sexual harassment litigation is extremely recent, but has been mostly quiet. Now it looks like there's a tipping point and real hope for a big cultural shift and a time when CEOs and media personalities and political leaders will no longer be able to buy silence or intimidate victims into silence.

The situation in large publicly owned companies is probably mostly better now than it was even a few decades ago. All companies have policies in place. It's the private company owners and the ad hoc business settings like a movie production and the wealthy celebrities and powerful politicians where accountability is going to be a big issue. These people are used to having no one to police their behavior. Weinstein had literally no one who felt able to police his behavior.

Diggy and Juliet316 like this.
  19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i do like that the abusers and harassers will hopefully end up the silent ones, with their careers in ruins. if that ends up being half of hollywood so be it. though it will will be a lot of work for christopher plummer.

20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    So one comic that had a ton of rumors about him down. Wonder when a certain ex-husband of a certain Handmaid's Tale actress will get outed for this type of harrassment.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    At this point, the term "male feminist" and "rapist" are interchangeable.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I've heard serial adulterer and philanderer, but I'm not sure I'd heard abuser/harasser... absolutely wouldn't surprise me though!

heels1785 likes this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Donald Trump ‘Dishonored’ with Plaque Marking the Spot Where He Boasted About Grabbing Women

24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Friend of a friend told us she was groped by him after a comedy show (she was into stand up for a while) and I have no reason to doubt her.

25. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I remember a conversation I had more than 30 years ago with a friend who had a summer job in her summer after high school with one of the top law firms in Chicago. She was barely 18, a beautiful young woman. She told me that 3 different partners, all in their late 30s and early 40s had propositioned her for sex in their offices at different times over a 2 month period. She came to believe that was the reason she'd been hired. Fun fact: she is now a lawyer in a big law firm.

It's really hard to imagine that kind of environment persisting today in law firms where half the new associate hires are women. But sheesh. Change has apparently been sllllooooooowww.