main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Rian Johnson to create a new Star Wars Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Kook, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Kook

Kook Jedi Knight

Sep 16, 2015
  2. BlueHenDave

BlueHenDave Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 21, 2013
    Old Republic

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Getting on at the ground floor. Most excited about the new trilogy being a blank slate. Rian Johnson can do whatever he wants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

4. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Old Republic would be perfect for what we have been wanting. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this was something completely different either, like a group of smugglers or wild space explorers

5. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Sweet! Hope it has so much stuff. Zeltrons for one, Quinlan Vos would be cool...

6. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    "Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."

Tbh that's the most exciting thing to me. A creative person with relative freedom and fresh lore. I think Star Wars needs to have a spiritual successor to the Old Republic rather than leaning on it.

7. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    A clean slate with no restrictions is an exciting idea. The best thing though about this news to me is by the time is comes out, my kids will be at a good age to see them in cinemas :D

DarthKreVass, Justrec, solo77 and 2 others like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Tagged this as Official Info!

9. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Sounds good to me, Rian seems to have a good head on his shoulders for Star Wars.

10. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    That's been explored in video games, comics etc. This trilogy will focus on "a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."

I think they'll tell a story set at the time where the ST finishes. This will truly give Johnson a fresh canvass & will avoid being a prequel in any way. So no forward continuity to worry about. I also think LFL will want to settle on a time-frame for their stories. Rather than jump back & forth too much. After they get their Han Solo & other prequel/spin-offs out of the way I think the movies will forge ahead in the post-ST timeline. For this trilogy perhaps a ST character will be spun off into this new corner of the galaxy.

jaqen and Ewan Tibbetts like this.
  11. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I have it on good authority what the plot of the new RJ Trilogy will be

Careful for Spoilers

All Porgs, All the Time!

12. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Way too fast for me. From a SW every year to a now confirmed new Trilogy.

Slow down[face_hypnotized]

Dandelo likes this.
  13. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I wonder what the time frame is. I suppose that it could be as soon as 2021, after Kenobi or whatever the third spinoff turns out to be, or maybe a bit farther down the road.

Anyway, this is kind of the most exciting thing that's happened in...almost forever just because of the possibilities. It wouldn't surprise me to find that this new trilogy is actually connected to existing films a little more than we may be thinking, but who knows.

Here's hoping that when it does happen, we all have a great time watching a new Star Wars film that isn't judged by how well it adapts something preexisting or how it handles characters we already know. Going in clean-slate would be awesome.

jaqen and Darth Downunder like this.
  14. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    This can only mean one thing:
    Rian Johnson directed the HECK out of The Last Jedi.

That being said, I like the idea of getting new places and new bits of lore in my Star Wars universe. Bring on the new trilogy! Better yet, why not make four movies and surprise us?

Dak Oolron, jaqen, Revyl Ren and 3 others like this.
  15. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I must say the this is the most exciting news for me since Disney has acquired SW. There is so much potential with GL's universe and we will finally see some of this on the big screen!

16. darthgator1217

Apr 25, 2005
    I would agree. Set the new trilogy after the events of the ST. This will give them more freedom to explore the universe.

17. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    this is very interesting its one of two things either last jedi is absolutely amazing and that great a director that disney and lucasfilm want too lock him down and in a big way. or he is willing too put up with and do everything kathleen kennedy asks

im hoping for option one

18. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I want the Old Republic, or a time before the Jedi even. This new is cool, and I'm glad the new trilogy announcement wasn't for Episodes X-XII (though I'm pretty sure we will probably get them in the 2030s. Make that money, Lucasfilm.)

19. darthgator1217

Apr 25, 2005
    Well, he certainly has to be quite respectful to Kennedy at least. Based on the trailers for TLJ, it looks like he did a great job.

20. darthgator1217

Apr 25, 2005
    Perhaps the TV show could explore the Old Republic Era?

21. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Cad Bane better be in these new flicks, and he better be Duros, that’s all I’m gonna say.

BookExogorth likes this.
  22. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    R E V A N

revan772 likes this.
  23. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Seems to me that if TLJ and Episode IX explore the "true nature of the force" and uncover lore of an ancient sort - AND if this new trilogy is placed in the past -- there might be a whole new plethora of connections amongst ALL the trilogies.

The Prophecy, Bane, Whills, Force Priestesses, The Father Daughter Son from TCW, The Bendu from Rebels, "there hasn't been a full scale war in 1000 years since the beginning of the Republic", Maz and/or Snoke, Malachor [and its destruction], Coruscant and the Dark Side Shrine, etc off the top of my head

jaqen, Revyl Ren, Lulu Mars and 2 others like this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    "Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored"...
    That could mean any number of things, really. If taken at face value, all it says is that the new characters will be from said corner of the galaxy. Meaning that the story might take place in familiar areas, during familiar eras, and feature familiar events.

The implication of "Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy", however, tells a different story: They have a LOT of creative freedom with this project, which probably means that it takes place in the distant past, or the distant future, or in a distant corner of the galaxy that is largely unaffected by hitherto depicted events.
    ...or, it's two/all of the above at once.

25. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    So, in other words, what they should have done from the start with Episode VII—what I'd been hoping and arguing for way back upon first hearing the news that Lucasfilm had been purchased to continue new films. Because everything thus far has more or less just felt like an exercise in brand name restoration and baby-proofing the franchise away from past (post-1999) dissension into something generically unanimous with the mainstream.

Still not sure how I feel about Johnson, as none of his previous films did much to impress me. But if The Last Jedi is evidence of any game-up, and if he's genuinely inspired in writing a whole new pop-mythology from scratch then, yeah, I could definitely get behind this.

Now, if they could just manage the equivalent with the Indiana Jones franchise after the dust settles with Indy 5...