main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So does the new announcements pretty much close the book on legends ever getting continued

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Nov 9, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I know this has been a sensitive subject in the past so I'll just try to keep it strictly on topic of how much the new announcements affects the chances of legends one day seeing a continuation.

By the looks of it it seems they plan on jumping right into the new trilogy immediately after Ep. IX. Many of us thought that if legends was going to get continued that it would be after Ep. IX during the time they were inbetween trilogies. With it not looking like there is going to be any waiting period at all it makes the chances of seeing new legends material during that time a lot less likely. They are going to be far more interested in developing the universes of their new trilogies than they are in releasing books that don't have anything to do with their new trilogies and movies.

So do you think this announcement pretty much takes away all hope of seeing new legends material again? If they take the same stance it seems they have now where they like to focus entirely on what the movies are doing while the movies are going on it wouldn't be until 2025 or 2026 until an opportunity for more legends would happen again. And at that point there would be a good chance they would simply start on Ep. X-XII with an older Rey, Finn, and Poe.

2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Does anyone still genuinely believe that Legends will be expanded upon? I mean, I'd love it if there was an attempt to but the fact of the matter remains that this continuity is pretty much buried forever. I doubt Lucasfilm has some grand plan to continue fleshing it out in 2025/26 as there probably isn't any incentive or motivation from anyone who is in any position of authority at Lucasfilm to do so.

3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I don't know. I don't care. They'd probably just mess everything up.

Sanguinius likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ah, I still think they'll publish a single new Legends book on the anniversary year or some important piece of Legends EU. continuing the line whole hog concurrently with new content, can't see that happening. But I'm sure they'll put out one.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  5. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Don't you think that's somewhat pointless?

6. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    That door has been closed since 2012. Anyone who genuinely thought there was a chance for more legends was deluded, and far too optimistic.

7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Legends was too riddled with contradictions. They needed to reboot.

Ender Sai, Corellian Blue and V-2 like this.
  8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Actually don't think it was fully closed until TFA made over 2 billion dollars and they realized how massively popular their new trilogy was going to be and they could fully develop everything in it.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They said there were no plans from the beginning.

They still could do something like a short story in a magazine, but never anything like a book trilogy ever again. That was obvious since 2012.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Probably but this is Disney, they made a freakin' sequel to Tron. They'll shake any brand upside down to get some more cents outta it.

Dr. Steve Brule and spicer like this.
  11. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I highly doubt that they will continue Legends.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oddly, The Old Republic and FFG seem to be continuing the legendsverse. I mean look now we've got 20 Exar Kun threads spamming up the front page. And on the one hand this stuff is non-canon, but on the other, would any story continuing legends even be considered canon? Plus I can still get banned for posting spoilers for upcoming TOR plots here, even if it's about Ludo Kressh's pedicure playset or whatevs. So it's like, non-canon with a bite to it, like a decapitated poisonous snake and you're like "wow it's supposed to be dead, but it's still moving!" Yeah that's the status of the legendsverse right now. And then Filoni took the rest of the body and smeared it all over Rebels, so you got Malachore and Thrawn dripping everywhere but it's like, not the same thing.

13. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I'm truly amazed how so many think that Legends should be dead and buried. Obviously its never going to be the main centerpiece as it once was, but if they ran a single comic series and say two novels a year they could keep the stories moving along in some fashion to keep those who cared interested and make a little extra profit off those who liked both universes or only the old one.

Its not like ongoing parallel universes are unusual in franchises. See: Marvel (Cinematic, and multiple comic universes), DC (Cinematic, television and multiple comics), Transformers (at least 3 comic universes, 1 TV universe, and three ongoing toy lines), G.I. Joe (Two to three ongoing comic universes for a brand on life support), Star Trek (Cinematic and novels), ...you get the idea.

This wouldn't exactly be complicated logistically, and if any company has the resources to do it, its this one.

14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    What you say is true however at the same time there doesn't seem to be any desire to do that right now. And with them just announcing a new trilogy of movies and a new tv show starting up immediately after the current trilogy ends it doesn't seem like they are going to have any desire to do that for the forseeable future either. It's not about rather or not multiple universes could or couldn't work at this point. It's about rather Disney or Lucasfilm has any desire to run two different universes. And at this point they definitely don't.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have an AU EU fan-fic series set during the NJO series onwards, that ties the EU to NEU so I don't really care what happens.
    I'd still love to see new stories in the EU and get some questions answered ( I still want to know more about Abeloth's previous escapes, the Throne of Balance, the New Sith Wars, and so much more) but I have a story to follow so whatever.

Havoc123 likes this.
  16. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Marvel and DC did a multiverse. It's a disastrous mess. We should just forget Legends and embrace the new canon and all it can offer

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I've got a list of the SW multiverse and its up to 145+ timelines at the moment. The more the merrier.

Havoc123 and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I tried paying attention to fan fictions for a time (not for Star Wars but for something else) and though you could find some that were able to write an entertaining story or two pretty much all the ones I paid attention to would totally go off the rails if they tried to keep things going for too long.

19. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    This announcement doesn't change anything. There has never been a reason, whatsoever, to believe Legends was ever coming back.

It boggles my mind that there are people who believe it's even a remote possibility.

Wolfpack5 likes this.
  20. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    But those aren't really what people want when they say they want more stories in the Legends continuity, are they? Not just "new Legends stories," else the continuing storylines of TOR would be satisfactory. People who want new stories set in the Legends continuity tend to have pretty specific set of requirements re: characters, storylines, desired timeframe, and connections to previous continuity. And those requirements tend to be contrary to the characters and storylines Lucasfilm is already exploring in more or less that same timeframe.

CooperTFN likes this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Dude, that was in the rest of my post!

The thing comes down to "canon". TOR just did some interesting stuff lately continuing old plots. The only reason that isn't satisfactory to the bringbacklegends folks is because it's not canon.

22. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The book is already closed on Legends. Any story worth telling will be done in canon, and any Legends character Lucasfilm deems interesting enough will be ported over eventually. Considering the new canon is also doing its own "these might be canon" thing with From a Certain Point of View and Star Wars Adventures, there's not really even space for Legends to continue as "what-ifs". It exists in its own bubble, free from any further tampering and retconning, but I don't see any reason to expand it further.

V-2 likes this.
  23. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Call me naive and overly optimistic all you want, but at the very, very least I am hoping for a proper closure on certain stories.
    Good stories are good stories, continuity be damned. I think the good stories that haven't concluded in a satisfying way should be given one last chance.

A multiverse doesn't have to be a mess by default. It can be executed well if the creative team(s) are coordinated effectively.

Nailed it, I've got nothing more to add to this.

24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012

25. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I'm fine and content with there being no more Legends stories. In fact, now I kinda like that Legends is a closed universe. It's done, it's told its story. It can be enjoyed as a whole.

26. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I'd give this a read.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  27. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Whatever the odds were (slim to none), they haven't changed. If it was going to happen, it was always going to be an AU one-off or tiny miniseries at most, most likely comics. That can still happen, new movies and stuff don't have any bearing on it. Old Marvel and DC AU stuff sometimes gets picked up decades later for a "hey, remember this?" revisit. The same can happen with Legends.

Nothing will truly close the book on Legends until the people who enjoyed it are dead. So, fifty years?