main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Rian Johnson to create a new Star Wars Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Kook, Nov 9, 2017.

1. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    This thread is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww --- I am shocked! Guess folks just have so many other places to discuss -- so maybe i shouldn't be.

A few years ago an announcement like this and a thread like this would have been off the charts busy

Justrec and Jedi Daniel like this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This is the NSA. There's like two people who post here. :p

3. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    That or you're like me, and you'd rather observe. I don't have many thoughts about this, just interest as to where this will go.

Dread Pirate Roberts likes this.
  4. BlueHenDave

BlueHenDave Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 21, 2013
    Whatever Disney decides to do moving forward, it needs to include the force. I can buy a stand alone like Solo not having the force as a theme(Rogue One, the force was there) but a saga based off the GFFA without the force is not Star Wars to me...its like watching Rebels. It's interesting with the Mandalores but the force themes episodes is what sucks me in. With that said, this new saga to me must occur during the Old Republic or beyond the ST. It cant happen during the PT, OT or ST.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  5. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    ...also: will there be Death Stars?

6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Sounds like LFL is very happy with TLJ. :)

7. EzraSnoke

EzraSnoke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2017
    I reckon this new trilogy will tie in with the new Live Action TV show and new cartoon too.
    Like how the anthology movies, rebels/clone, all ties in with the OT.
    I'm guessing it'll be a slew of new characters, in the current era as the ST, but not related to the ST, no bleeding across from one trilogy to the other of characters, tho maybe some references.

8. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000

I really disagree that this is what they should have done from the start. I don't even think it would have given you what you want. If they went straight into new movies with a fresh take on Star Wars myself and most others would remain wistful about a missed opportunity to do a Sequel Trilogy that covers Luke's legacy. It just had to be done. This way we're all going to have our cake and eat it too. However there's another advantage to how things have proceeded. Through TFA, R1 and the production of Solo and TLJ, the new Lucas film regime has been given some much needed space to find their feet with these safer ideas. There's been a lot of key creatives involved in the production of the new films and clearly there's been many hard lessons learned. They needed these five years to discover that Rian Johnson is the best choice to lead us into a truly new era of post-Lucas/post-Skywalker Star Wars.

Artoo-Dion , Taylore, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  9. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Aching to hear something, anything about this Johnson Trilogy. Fair chance it already has a basic premise. Maybe he pitched an idea to KK. Hope something leaks soon. Pretty soon we'll be speculating about the JT. An all new trilogy to look fwd to. Exciting times.

10. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    JMO, based on what we've heard about TLJ, this trilogy will focus on the foundation of the Jedi Order. Might even see a few references in VIII that play into this new trilogy.

11. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Damn, I would love it to be about the rise of the Jedi and the Sith. That would be cool. I do hope there is Force Users in this.

12. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    So, the OT, PT, ST and this is being called the JT? Interesting, especially if it'll focus on the jedi as you speculate...

I think it would be intriguing if the jedi's ties to the republic were explored.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  13. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Did it?

Luke is a hero of (pop)myth, and mythology doesn't need legacy. These are stories about expressing age-old wisdoms and universal truths, not narrating the ongoing life of a fictional character simply for its own dramatic sake. Sure, one can always write more content; no metaphysical law or barrier prohibits otherwise. But does that mean every fable requires a "and then this happened and that"? The six-part saga was even, balanced. It completed its grand, operatic movements and concluded its themes circularly, as Return of the Jedi brought down the curtain on said storybook wonder-tale with our heroes the victors over evil, all joined together and smiling cheerfully into the camera amidst a starry night Ewok celebration. The end. But now, what, it has to become a Netflix series? Disney/Lucasfilm's chief aim by my assessment was to bring back Luke, Han, Leia etc. as a surefire means to placate fandom nostalgia -- movie culture at large -- while their standard in doing so was that of respectability, or at least the air of—some modern blockbuster-speak dramatic polish replete with the usual gazes of elder statesmen stoicism. It all especially looks good in the trailers. Ceremonial. Except, I don't really find myself feeling the myth anymore, but merely the fandom itself, which I deem superficial by comparison.
    This aspect I find more understandable, yes. I can definitely see how the studio may have been thinking in terms of franchise longevity by judging certain behind-the-camera talents via glorified marketable demos. Clinically, I can't say I fault them for such reasoning.

Raz Zaphon likes this.
  14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    If this JT is about that I'm completely on board. Imagine that, the early discovery of the Force & the very first Jedi. Perhaps including the building of the temple on Ahch-To.

15. EzraSnoke

EzraSnoke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2017
    It would be a mistake of sorts if Disney created whole new characters and set the period in the current time to the ST.

You'd be crazy not to utilize the huge amount of lore and stories in the Legends, because also people are invested in that. Even people who don't care about the old EU, they've still heard about Legends characters and stories.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It's the RT. The mods have spoken. We also have copyrighted the term, so every time you use it you owe us a nickle. :)

BookExogorth likes this.
  17. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Star Wars: Trilogy of the Whills?

Maybe this new trilogy will explore the time BEFORE the old Republic. When space travel was young and dangerous and galactic conquest was a new form of warfare. The Jedi were in their infancy and were known simply as The Whills.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What Whill be, Whill be.

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    With Ep IX the last confirmed release set in Dec 2019, I wonder if the Johnson Trilogy will begin in 2020? Still no word on a Kenobi spin-off, which I previously assumed might come out in that year. The Disney summit would've been a perfect time to mention it, but nothing.

20. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    That's a really good point, it seems weird to announce a trilogy of films that will likely start after we assume Kenobi would be released, when Kenobi hasn't even been officially announced yet. I've been saying this for a few months, but I think 2020 might be an off-year for Star Wars. Lucasfilm has Indiana Jones 5 scheduled for that year, so that could be their annual output while Star Wars gets to take a short break. The first film in the new trilogy can come out in 2021, and they could either release Kenobi in 2022 or nix the standalone films entirely and just release the RT films every other year. Maybe they could alternate Star Wars films with Indiana Jones movies starring a new actor in the titular role after Spielberg and Ford get their swan song on 5; if memory serves I'm pretty sure Iger implied that's what they intended to do.

21. Kook

Kook Jedi Knight

Sep 16, 2015
    Keep in mind we’re probably speaking of 2020 or 2021 release for first part of the new trilogy. 2019 for IX, so following year or two in order to keep releasing new films.

22. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    That's just the thing though - whose certain point of view are we looking at? If we're looking at a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored - well, what's the lore? Surely it's not just talking about the movies, but is Legends included in that? Or is it only canon? The latter of the two leaves Old Republic in the mix. And, of course, they're "introduc[ing] new characters from a corner of the galaxy" - that could be a few aliens who come to visit Old Rey's Jedi Academy for Kids Who Can't Use the Force Good and Want to Learn To Do Other Force Things Good Too.

That being said, I think Old Republic might lend itself better to the TV show - and if done with a giant budget (they're launching their streaming service with it, I think that's not out of the question,) it could be amazing. All I know is what others have already said - Johnson must have knocked TLJ absolutely out of the park for KK and crew to hand him what amounts to the keys to the kingdom before the movie even gets a single review. (That, and the fact that they were happy with the final cut of the movie as early back as September.)

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I wonder what this new trilogy would cover? What story? What timeline? I know that I (and I assume others) have been somewhat clamoring for a new trilogy with all fresh new characters and new storyline. But where would we go? Remembering KK said it would be a "corner of SW lore never before explored," how literally should we take that? That rules out anything between ROTS and ANH (which is currently being HEAVILY fleshed out), or anything between ROTJ and TFA...I also imagine just after Episode IX would be out too, since they said it will not follow the Skywalker line...

Here's the thing: as Big Bad Yoda Daddy mentioned, it depends on how we interpret "never before explored." Does KK mean everything, including books, EU, and games? Or is she just referring to the films? That's the question really. If she IS covering everything, and the old republic is not it, then what do we think it could mean? Centuries into the future???

I of course am one of the many who sincerely hope they will explore the period when the old republic was formed-when the Sith ruled the galaxy, and the timeline being thousands of years (or at least 1000) before the events of TPM. That's my vote at least.

24. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    So far I've listened to several SW related podcasts and numerous social media comments from fans speculating about these new movies. They all have one thing in common...they all are based on the "when" or "era" in which those movies will take place. However, if you look at the announcement it says:

"In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."

...from a corner of the galaxy... That implies a location, not a time. So, where in the SW galaxy has existing "lore" NOT explored? The Unknown Regions. Sure, they've been mentioned, but I can't think of any story that actually explored that region.

So, let's also look at how that could fit in with everything LFL has been telling us up to now and what has happened in the current canon.

We know that Palpatine had concerns about something in the Unknown Regions. And, I haven't read the 3rd Aftermath book, but from what I've heard/read about it, there where ships sent to the Unknown Regions for some reason.
    We don't know too much about Snoke, but I'm sure that RJ had to learn all about his past in order to do TLJ. That could have given RJ the idea for a trilogy.

So, how about this...

The end of Rebels could have Palpatine send Thrawn to the Unknown Region on a mission. I think we'll be introduced to Snoke as well, and perhaps he is in the know about Thrawn's mission. RJ's first movie could be about that mission and what Thrawn encounters. The second movie could deal with the ships sent to Unknown Region as mentioned in the Aftermath book. As I believe that there will be either a new animation series, or the live action, set sometime between RotJ and TFA, I think RJ's 3rd movie could tie into that series and connect to TLJ through Snoke.

Sure, we'll see tons of new characters, but we'll also have a couple that are familiar. And since we don't know anything about the Unknown Regions, that gives RJ a lot of creative freedom.

EzraSnoke likes this.
  25. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    It says "characters from..." - so with two characters of a new species, they've told us the truth. That said, someone in the SA version of this thread touched on the idea - what if, in the days of the old republic, the Jedi Schism or Jedi Civil War or whatever we decide is canon, a sect or group of Jedi went off to said unknown regions to live out what they thought the Jedi should be. There, in seclusion, we have a Jedi Order who never fell. Maybe Rey builds up the Jedi Order with Luke, maybe she doesn't - but either way, imagine the impact of a couple of exiled Jedi coming to the galaxy we know and watching worlds collide. That could be super interesting.

CosmicDust and Skywalker2B like this.