main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Making My Day! - Pro-Prequel Articles

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We'll see it's not the internet for nothing

Deliveranze likes this.
  2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

First rule of YouTube: Never look at the comments.

JSJL2018 and Deliveranze like this.
  3. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Great video, gets to what Lucas is about as a person, and as an artist.

4. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Just saw Throne of Blood, a Japanese retelling of Macbeth -- and a great film. This nice article points out some similarities between Revenge of the Sith and Throne of Blood, and how Star Wars was influenced by it: The Cinema Behind Star Wars: Throne of Blood.

Darthman92 and zaphod67 like this.
  5. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    https://twitter.com/swankmotron/status/916043844386308097

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    zaphod67 likes this.
  7. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Kevin Smith told a guy in his live Facebook chat to watch the prequels.. He said "I am not going to say don't watch the prequels" Watch them all.

Nanaki likes this.
  8. AussieViking

AussieViking Jedi Padawan

May 28, 2017
    Also on the Padme Anakin relationship they were both there for the biggest moments in there lives TPM so there's also that bond to look upon. To be truthful the Relationship would of been better received in ATOC if Lucas left the deleted scenes back into the film I mean it shoots the relationship to workable in the original cut to great.

9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001

I clearly remembered I went to see it in mid August and the matinee showing was packed. A couple of older folks in the back laughed at everything Jar Jar (more than kids I'd say) [face_laugh]
    So Lucas knew what he was doing in regards to kids and general audience... unfortunately a lot of die hard fans were disappointed and in the dawning age of Internet they became the ones to determine the reputation of the franchise.

The article also doesn't mention the prequel trilogy (by itself) has been a bestseller on DVD for YEARS after the release, right behind the OT... how was it possible if everyone hated the prequels?

10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001

I guess seeing Carrie :( and Luke (esp. wielding Anakin's blue lightsaber) is worth the price of admission but the looks of the movie are kind of uninspiring.

Deliveranze likes this.
  11. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    The june issue of British film magazine Empire had a list of "101 classic movie scenes," which included picks from all 8 SW films so far. While I was glad to see the prequels were represented, it felt suspicious that even the two very recent Disney movies were among "classic" scenes. Even more questionable is that in the latest issue where they rank classic sci-fi films, they only include the OT and TFA, and openly diss TPM.

The prequel scenes they picked:

TPM: Anakin at the Jedi Council
    AotC: Anakin riding the speeder to find his mother
    RotS: The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise

Darthman92 likes this.
  12. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Interesting picks from TPM and AOTC... I'd have expected the duels or the clone wars...

Sab Jo and Seeker Of The Whills like this.
  13. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I guess I can see the TPM & ROTS picks as they are two of the most quoted scenes from the movies by both hardcore and casual fans. There's a ton of memes using palp's dialogue from the ROTS scene.

The AOTC one is kinda head scratching though. Could maybe see it if they are including the tusken slaughter.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  14. JSJL2018

JSJL2018 Jedi Padawan

Sep 18, 2015
    Look at this thread! Although I am a member since September 2015, I haven’t been around on this forum much. Therefore, I have been wandering around the internet, wondering whether I was the only lonely soul who absolutely loved the prequels.

The world has become a better place.

Deliveranze likes this.
  15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Of all the scenes to choose from TPM, Anakin at the council is baffling. Yes, it has Yoda's iconic and prophetic quote, but that's a great line in an otherwise fine scene. Subbing in the duel at the end is a good choice of course, but I'd also lobby for the podrace, one of the very best action scenes of the last 20 years.

Huge props for choosing Anakin leaving the homestead to find Shmi though. It's a moment worthy of being the inverse of the binary sunset from ANH.

16. Rudy Redlin

Rudy Redlin Jedi Knight

Feb 12, 2013
    I think their choice of TPM scene is pretty solid. It's one of my favorites from that movie. I love that scene's tone and lighting and subtle score, especially the way it builds and transitions into that sunset montage (ahhhhh bliss). It's been permanently burned into my brain ever since I saw it in the theater.

17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Found this article via StarWarsPrequelsAppreciationsociety
    https://fabiusmaximus.com/2017/02/18/review-of-the-phantom-menace/

Refreshing to read from the educated adult's perspective rather than some butthurt fanboy.

The theme of searching for a father figure seems to be obvious after Vader's revelation but rarely gets addressed in depth. I wish the writer expanded this piece after the prequel trilogy was complete. In AOTC, Anakin says Obi-Wan is the closest thing to a father and yet they seem to have shifted into more of a brotherly rivalry and Anakin now seems to rely on Palpatine as an "encouraging" father figure. The most fascinating thing about Anakin is that while he never finds a true father figure for himself he becomes one to his son once he acts like a true parent by sacrificing his ambition and even his life to save him.

ezekiel22x and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  18. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001

I think Daniel got criticized a lot actually but he did get better in the last movies and the movies themselves were more accepted than the prequels.

19. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    The impression I've always gotten from Jake Lloyd's Anakin is that it's basically just Jake Lloyd being Jake Lloyd--which, if you watch the behind-the-scenes material, seems to be exactly what Lucas wanted--so it's weird to hear his performance being pilloried as stilted and unrealistic.

20. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001

Same thing as Hayden: it's the Darth Vader effect. If you don't know who he'll become he's just a normal kid with special abilities that haven't gotten into his head yet. Kind of like Luke is a bit of a goofball in ANH.

21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Exactly.

Have these people never heard of The Little Rascals?

Lucas was clearly not looking for a polished "actor" kid.

He could have got Haley Joel Osment who was well known and the right age.

Sab Jo, Tonyg and Mostly Handless like this.
  22. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    It also must have especially sucked for Jake to have put so much of himself on screen like that and then have a legion of nerds call him annoying and unlikable.

23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Especially when he was only annoying and unlikable to them.

It does't matter if it's Wesely Crusher in TNG, Adric in Doctor Who or whatever it seems a lot of young boys don't like to watch young boys in fiction. They want them to be either older boys or beautiful young girls.

wobbits, Sab Jo and Darthman92 like this.
  24. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001

Compares the Battle of the heroes to Kylo vs. Rey:

This one compares the counterculture elements of the PT (and OT) vs. the Disney consumerism. Of course it has to be a French guy who notices the experimental nature of the SW movies.

25. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Ha ha. A little bit propaganda-ishe last video but I enjoyed them and I tend to agree.

-NaTaLie- likes this.