main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, It just looks like someone went crazy with the "paste" function to fill the sky with just Liberty MC80s and ISDs. Far too many crashed Star Destroyers too.

2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Looks like they ripped out the old Sienar Fleet Systems drive system and reactor and replaced them... I personally think SFS reactors and engines run hot, hence why TIEs have the multipurpose radiator/solar panels. When they replaced the reactor and engine assembly they didn't need vulnerable radiator panels on the ship anymore, so they're gone too... as a visible and easily hit radiator array is a definite weakness in combat.

I don't know about there being too many Star Destroyers. Rax supposedly was amassing a huge portion of the total strength of the Imperial starfleet for the Jakku operation (basically all that was left of the Empire's fleet which obeyed his command). Remember the novel says that 1/4th of the Imperial Fleet is still in service, most of which seems to be under Rax's command. 1/4th of 25,000 is still over 6,000 Imperial Star Destroyers.

There is however a huge lack of support ships... like usual. At this point I almost suspect Imperial doctrine calls for them to only commit Star Destroyer weight ships or larger to fleet actions. If it's smaller then that, the Imps see it as sending an old 8-gun Sloop-of-War into battles alongside a 100-gun Ship-of-the-Line.

It's kind of like how destroyers are the smallest ship that most 'Blue-Water' navies use for fleet operations. Smaller ships are 'Brown-Water' navy ships and have no purpose in a fleet engagement.

3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    And when you are pulling your heavy hitters all together, you need to have something left to keep normal operations going in the territory you control.

4. Fire Dog

Fire Dog Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    I could almost belive the story about Luke destroying Star Destroyers at Jakku by himself now after seeing the number of Star Destroyers crashed on the Surface. Also speaking of support ships in the most recent Rebels episode the Imperial Fleet had 8 Star Destroyers, 11 Arquintens class light cruisers, and 9 Gozanti tie Carriers. I'd call that a well supported fleet, and they were arranged in supporting roles on the flanks and to the top and rear of the Imperial Formation. (Despite of Course being grouped in a Hundred Kilometer area covering like 10% of the planet's surface strategically)

Snafu55 likes this.
  5. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    Hangar from the ad: [​IMG] The Raddus’s hangar: [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Senator Wan

Aug 13, 2017

7. Senator Wan

Aug 13, 2017

8. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015

which ad?

9. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I don't play the video games....but do enjoy the some of the things that spin out of them. However...if they do not have the Starhawk represented then I would have to say that is a failure in planning on many people's parts.

10. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Re: blockades in Star Wars - hyperspace lanes. Hyperspace is like a freeway. If you want to keep people from getting to the San Diego comic-con, you don't put tanks all around the United States, you put them at the I-5 offramps.

Jedi Ben and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Then all you need to do is come in from a different direction. You know they are blocking the I-5 offramps then you cut around and go in from a different direction.come in from the east on the I-8.

12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    as a fellow californian, i understood that reference and got what your saying. though i'll never look at driving on the freeway again without thinking of it as a hyperspace lane. lol.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  13. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    As much as I obviously would have loved to see Starhawks, I don't think they were necessary in the context of the game. Starhawks were involved in the space battle, while the game focused on the battle in-atmosphere and near the ground. No need to make a whole new model for something that only would have appeared for a couple seconds, Starhawks providing orbital support was the best option here I think.

14. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    I agree, I'm just saying I wish we would have gotten a little more out of the Rebel fleet than the same stuff from last game.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, Niiiccckkkk..... AdmiralNick22

BF2 image screenshot:

[​IMG][​IMG]

TheRedBlade and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Is that a new variant of MC80?

It looks shorter-tailed, proportionally, than the Liberty, as well as longer overall.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Fire Dog

Mar 1, 2017
    Yes only having MC-80's, CR-90's, and Nebulon B's in the fleet was very disappointing, Not even the Home One type was featured there should have been at least a couple of them. It weird though if the Allaince ships couldn't breakthrough the Orbital Bloackade how were there dozens and dozens of Alliance ships in low Atmo? Oppinions, suggestions? It condraticts the Aftermath books a little. I mean It is a full on planetary wide assault but still.

18. Senator Wan

Aug 13, 2017
    There may have been a cut part of the mission where you help the Unity break the blockade.

19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I find that kind of doubtful. If there was, then they would have a Starhawk model for use in the rest of the battle.

20. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I suspect that's just game engine FOV effects making it look shorter.
    I thought the problem for the New Republic was breaking through the Imperial formation to get to the Ravager, not keeping the New Republic forces out of the atmosphere or off the ground.

Senator Wan, Outsourced and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Fire Dog

Mar 1, 2017
    You have a point, I guess we can consider it one large combat zone stretching from low atmosphere all the way into space were the Ravager made it's stand.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    y'know there have to be budget and resource justifications for a lot of these things, and stuff, right?

And maybe there isn't an established Starhawk design to work with? Etc.

I remember when it was a gift and a blessing to get book stuff in games. Honestly, it still is.

Anyway the MC80s in this game are rendered really nicely.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Daneira, MercenaryAce, Vthuil and 3 others like this.
  23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Honestly I am happy the Stark Hawks are not in it. At this point my hype for them is so high that I can actually wait a bit longer cause there has to be the most perfect reveal for them.

24. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Which is why I feel it's unbelievable to have so many crashed ships in such a small area on the ground.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    We only see the orbital portion of the space battle in Empire's End. Chuck references the other battles post-Ravager going down, plus we already have numerous canon sources that consistently portray the battle having a space and atmospheric component.

Basically, once the New Republic fleet knocks out the SSD, the fleet overwhelms the Imperial Navy and forces them planetside. The NRDF follows, making the final stages of the fleet battle in the skies above Jakku, where in BF & BF2 we literally see (trust me... I've counted!) over three dozen MC80's and a comparable number of ISD's duking it out.

[face_peace]

--Adm. Nick

26. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Are all the ISDs "ISD-II type" or did they include some ISD-Is?

How about the MC80s - are they all identical or were there multiple types, same as ROTJ?