main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which is the best Star Wars prequel movie of the FOUR?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Downunder, Nov 17, 2017.

?

My favourite SW prequel is

1. The Phantom Menace

5.3%
  2. Attack of the Clones

6.4%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

43.9%
  4. Rogue One

44.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    With the Prequel Trilogy & then Rogue One bringing the number of OT-prequels to 4 so far, which do you think is the best of them?

Also how well do you think these four movies stand as a package, or should R1 not even be placed alongside the prior 3? One thing to consider, the Death Star evolution beginning in AotC, then appearing in RotS & finally being the focus of R1 is a storyline that builds quite well IMO. Also Anakin's progression to Vader is punctuated in a very impactful way in R1 when we see just what a monster he has become. The fallout from Palpatine's rise to Emperor & its effect on the galaxy is also brought home in R1. Can that movie stand as an effective epilogue to the PT, or only as a prologue to ANH?

TX-20, CIS Droid and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Rogue feels more like the OT than the PT in many ways, not least the setting. There's also re-use of OT designs, and the plot is a direct lead-in to ANH.

The PT stand alone much better, with a self-contained aesthetic that both leads into the OT but can stand apart on it's own.

Not that speaks to quality at all, but it does lead to a disjuncture between the PT and R1, where the former stands a self contained narrative, while R1 is more incomplete without ANH.

Anyway, my favourite is TPM. Which is also my fave SW movie overall. :)

wobbits and Bacon164 like this.
  3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Rogue One for me. I feel like it goes a little better with the OT than it does the PT but I see where you are coming from for sure.

TX-20, Sarge and Darth Downunder like this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    As it should since it's set only days or weeks before ANH. I still think it's also an effective jump forward from the PT. Showing just what Palpatine & Vader's rise has cost the galaxy.

TX-20 and CIS Droid like this.
  5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Yeah, I get what you mean.

I still think it worked about the same between ROTS and ANH, though I do like that we see Vader on Mustafar in both ROTS and R1, and showing how it's affected him. That was quite effective.

6. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    What the hell....

What is the point in comparing a massive trilogy to a measly small prequel title that is just a one of side title that will never et a follow up ever again?

Besides that; Rogue definitely has a good reason to stay in line with the the OT yet mostly feels far removed from it aside from a few instances.

7. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Not a huge Rogue One fan, but I'll go with that one. It didn't bore me for six hours like the PT did.

8. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    RO feels like a totally different kind of movie than the other three prequels so it's a bit hard to compare them because they're trying to do very different things. I think RO is much closer to what most of us originally assumed the prequels would be like, not only because it uses a more OT aesthetic but because its main storytelling goal is to prop up and set up the movies that come after in the OT. The PT on the other hand is doing something different: it's more concerned with telling its own sort of personal story of Anakin's arrogance, greed, and ultimate failure set against a grand operatic backdrop. Yes, it sets up the OT but its primary purpose isn't really in building them up in the way that RO's is (and in some ways it subversively alters our views of them). I voted for AOTC because that's my favorite movie out of the options, but on second thought I could see myself voting for RO depending on how you read the question: as best Star Wars prequel versus best Star Wars movie (that happens to be a prequel). That is, I would rank the movies of the PT higher as movies but would say RO does more to build up the OT and thus is arguably more effective of a prequel specifically.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013

I'd say R1 feels more like the PT. Certainly more like it than any of the OT.

The whole fabric weaves very well out of where ROTS left off and not all that well into where ANH is.

The ANH universe isn't that bleak.

10. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Rogue One was the best. It had the best acting and atmosphere and was way better connected to the OT than Episodes I to III imo.

JorakUln, TX-20 and Sarge like this.
  11. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    TPM is my favorite prequel, as it shows the ending of the good times before the start of the dark times and did a far better job being a different era than TFA. Of course RO should be very OT like as it is set in the beginning of the OT era, the PT is supposed to be a different era, but as it goes along it progresses (or digresses) into the OT aesthetic. In the story, the OT is a big step down from the PT, which is why the PT has a more positive aesthetic in its designs than the OT.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They're all very bad, I don't like any of them, but I guess ROTS? ROTS is mostly a failure, but there's plenty of action and at least the downfall of the Jedi Order elicited some emotion out of me, unlike anything from the other movies relevant to this thread.

From best to worst:

ROTS
    TPM
    AOTC
    RO

Rogue One somehow managed to be worse than the prequel trilogy through sheer, unrelenting dullness. Definitely didn't see that coming.

13. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    I love the PT, but if I had to choose, I'd go with ROTS.

14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Well, the PT may be a trilogy but those movies also exist in their own right. Rogue One is every bit a prequel. Meaning we have 4 prequels. So why not compare them? That's the point.

What they all have in common is that they exist to provide backstory for the OT. To set up those movies & explain how things are the way they are at the beginning of ANH. They all certainly do that, with varying degrees of success. I voted R1 but it's a close run thing between that & RotS. I think the best of RotS represents the best of all 4 movies but it also has some terrible lows. The clumsy half-assed way it depicts Anakin's turn is unforgivable. R1 is far more solid & simply a higher quality movie. Besides, Krennic & the squabbling between the Imperials is more entertaining to me than any of the villains' antics in the PT.

TX-20 and Sarge like this.
  15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think that is more to do with the style and tone of each film. RO is wildly different to ANH. They are both telling stories set in the same universe, though.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I loved Rogue One, and hated ROTS. The other two are in between.

TX-20 and Avnar like this.
  17. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    ROTS and TPM tied for me. Both are some of my favorite SW movies.

AOTC is the weakest of the PT but the highlights for me outweigh anything in the weakest of the OT and TFA so far.

Rogue One had some great concepts. Really beautiful planets that felt like a spiritual successor to ROTS, and made the Rebellion kinda interesting.

Too bad that first hour was so boring. So much jumping imo and I didn't care what was going on after the intro. Also the acting was stiff to me. Wasn't impressed by anyone's performance.

On the plus side, Cassian is a cool character I would like to see flesh out more

18. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Revenge of the Sith, easily.

19. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    RotS of course. Way better movie, while RO is a pretty good one. RO third act was great but it simply can't top Padme rumination, Order 66, Battle of Senate and Battle of Mustafar scenes from RotS third act.

Deliveranze and Slicer87 like this.
  20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Sure they all are but for R1 they made the decision to tell the movie in a tone and style that fits better with the prequels than the OT and ANH which has it's own tone and style separate from the other movies.

They could have even gone more ANH if they'd wanted to though it'd be at some odds to the story content. It'd make it more distanced from the personal story since I think it'd then have to be more a mission based movie as opposed to personal quest with mission.

21. Palp Fiction

Palp Fiction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    I think Rogue One stands as the best prequel. Basics like the writing, acting & visual effects detract from the PT too much.

TX-20 likes this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Phantom Menace ≥ Revenge of the Sith > Attack of the Clones >>> ...

jimkenobi, Sarge and Darth Weavile like this.
  23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Rogue One destroys all of the other three!

24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Gonna go with Rogue One. I really like RotS, but R1 is just so striking, especially in the third act, and I love how it kind of helps to bridge the two trilogies.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  25. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Revenge of the Sith. Rogue One was fun, but I ultimately like Star Wars for the long arc / mythology. Rogue One was closer to exposition of the inner workings of the Empire and Rebellion during the Dark Times.

MS1 and Delta-7 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.