main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Horizon Series: Zero Dawn (PS4) and Forbidden West (PS4/5)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JEDI-SOLO, Feb 28, 2017.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Downloading

Then puppy training

Then play

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Right, I need some er, guinea pi... test volunteers!

HZD: TFW sounds excellent. BUT, it's supposedly a lot harder too. I get the logic of why they've done that but that doesn't mean it's good for me.

Does it offer easy or even, story, difficulty?

The other element are these repair towers - you can supposedly over-ride them, but are they killable too? Or does it go for 'knock out for a time then regenerate'? Because the latter would really piss me off.

And for that kid, it was fun - you were just bored because you wanted him to do something else while you watched! ;)

Zelda: BotW is every bit the reinvention for Nintendo as HZD is for Guerilla. It breaks with a huge amount of tradition - and Ninty are certainly traditional - but also innovates in similar ways to HZD. The idea of a fully customisable map, which HZD does, but Zelda goes a bit further, is refreshing in these days of icon overload.

Being able to climb surfaces, subject to stamina, changes how you play the game, as does the environment - you can climb in wet weather for instance. Or thunderstorms will fry you if you have a metal sword equipped. Then there's heat / cold to factor in, along with day / night cycle, which also hits the temperatures. The elemental aspect also really comes into play - hit a desert enemy with ice in day-time and they die fast. Chop down a tree to get wood or throw a bomb at a bomb barrel and that's a neat bit of environmental interaction, but if you set fire to the grass.... Never mind the Guardians, who are scarily good at killing you.

Zelda's main weakness is in its story, which is minimal for a Zelda game and weapon destruction that is a bit too severe, but the rest of it, including world design is every bit the equal of HZD save in sheer graphical power.

As I say, you don't need to tear down Zelda to love HZD and it's probably going to be a while before we get two such excellent games in the same year, never mind at the same time.

Both games look very good, but to really see why they've succeeded, you have to play them.

3. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Like and don't like the scorcher

Not too far in. Done the tallneck which was an interesting diversion.

New zone is maybe just under a quarter of the size of the original map but looks just as stunning.

More time pending tonight.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    It was kind of funny last night. I went into the game assuming I'd jump right into the Wildlands area, and I wound up continuing my main story in the area just south of it; it's the one with the big frozen "Metal Devil" that Aloy slides all the way down that long wire to the ground. I did manage to acquire two new skills: Shard Salvager and Mount pickup.

5. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Been playing TFW since last night. Can confirm, machines are tougher. Heh. Been very fun so far though.

6. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Just completed my first ruin which had a mini puzzle in it. Was rather enjoyable and the companion I had amused me.

Completed and a whole new ruin has suddenly appeared.

That's for tomorrow I think.

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Second ruin not much of a ruin :(

8. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I don't like the bandit camp mission.

Granted I shouldn't do it whilst drunk though.

9. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    There's a few Chargers hanging around not so far from the bandit camp. They are not Daemonic, so you can override them, ride over to the camp, and leave them by an entrance. You can then trick bandits into pursuing you right to your chargers and let the chargers do the work. They won't get all of them, and you still have to fight the chieftain and his guards on your own. But it's funny to let the chargers kill almost bandits for you.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ugh, that's a shame - the human enemies were the weakest part of the game for me, was hoping they hadn't made it to this.

Helis had more health than a Thunderjaw!

11. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    HZD has been nominated for pretty much every award at the 2017 game awards. That’s awesome!

Nobody145, Ahsoka's Tano and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Deserves it.

Have decided to hold off to see if there's a mad PSN Friday Sale on new DLC like Frozen Wilds.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

You haven't gotten the new DLC yet?

14. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    Is it just me, or is the DLC a major drain on resources? Cleared all the Towers and having a hard time just restocking wood for arrows before I begin the assault on the Volcano/Cauldron. The Cut is definitely a harsh place! Heh...

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

At least it lets you expand your resources pouch with the available skill. For now I'm working on getting that cool Dismount Strike ability.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, I'm letting you lot be willing volunteers to test it!

Nor do I have the cash for it right now.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Even thought I've bought the DLC, I still have yet to actually delve into the new region. I'm only on the main game and building up my skills abilities to get the new ones included in the DLC.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    TX-20, vw_jedi and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    is this game worth getting and also what does it play most like?

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It plays like nothing else.

It uses a lot of familiar architecture - map towers, crafting system, enemy specific weaknesses, stealth, but it combines them into something new.

I'm not a huge fan of stealth, but here it is done quite well and you do have options without it if you don't want to go that way - preparation is critical on both routes.

It is the densest sandbox you'll have played in ages and very well designed.

Absolutely worth getting.

Ahsoka's Tano and FatBurt like this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I'd highly, HIGHLY recommend it. There's so much to do in the game; I can't imagine getting bored of it at all. And the photo mode highlights the scope of the realism in the game.

bizzbizz and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    It's an excellent game. well structured with a good storyline

Some niggles as mentioned in the thread which are fair but YMMV if you consider them big issues or not.

Seeher, bizzbizz and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    THE best combat system ever, with a huge range of ways to take down enemies. One of the best open worlds, with stunning visuals. Very creative and innovative game. Interesting from start to finish. Lots of good main and side quests. Aloy (the main character) is awesome. It’d be nearly impossible not to like this game.

Seeher and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Just beat my first Frostclaw today. Jeez is that machine (the form of a bear) tough.

25. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Nasty beasties. I'd rather take on 2 Thunderjaws or Stormbirds than those