main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why do people think Disney is going to stop making books/comics?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Outsourced, Oct 7, 2017.

1. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Anyone have the list of short stories published in Insider? And which issues they're in? Was blade squadron the onlymone released online?

Stymi likes this.
  2. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015

The listing for the Padme novel sadly vanished

Shadowrain10 likes this.
  3. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Lame. I got really excited about the thought of possibly having the politics of the Prequels fleshed out, which is something we need in canon. I know that the Darth Plagueis book exists, but that's Legends, which sadly doesn't count.

4. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Whats in the pipeline

December 5- Canto Bight

December 15- The Last Jedi: Cobalt Squadron

February 20- Untitled Padme YA novel (likely cancelled; but who knows?)

March 6- The Last Jedi novelization (why its being released in March of next year is beyond me)

March 6- The Last Jedi junior novelization

May 25- Untitled Han Solo YA novel (date likely to change)

May??? Solo Novelization (presumed)

May??? Solo junior novelization (presumed)

June 26- THRAWN: ALLIANCES

July 31- Untitled Chewbacca Middle Grade Novel

September 18- Join the Resistance 3

That's what we have so far. A little dismal but I have faith their will be other stuff.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I haven't been too thrilled with their novel publishing program. The stories are too contained as opposed to what we had before with old canon. I get it, there trying to keep things opened for any possible movie or tv series, but if you really look at this. Besides the movies and tv series (Rebels, Freemaker Series), only Marvel comics have come out with expansive stories. The novels lately have been dry.

6. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015

The "Do you like the new canon?" thread is over here http://boards.theforce.net/threads/do-you-like-the-new-canon.50046353/page-32

7. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    That's what we have so far. A little dismal but I have faith their will be other stuff.
    I hope the Padme YA novel isn't canceled, we need a book that explains the politics of the prequels, in canon anyways.

8. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    No I think it's officially cancelled. I google it and the two links that listed it are gone :(

9. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

The Marvel stories only feel expansive because of the nature of compressed story telling in modern comics. The entire Darth Vader series might have been a single novel, if that.

We did have the Aftermath books which were quite expansive IMHO.

10. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Padme book back on!!!! YAY!!!

11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Disney could make a lot of money by reselling the original EU/Legends material. That's what I believe. The only Disney canon stuff I like is the Darth Vader comics.

Well, we need a Padme novel. I like her in TCW. I don't really like how she's handled in the movies so much, but she's good in TCW.

12. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Canto Bight and Thrawn Alliances, oh and the Padme YA seem to be the only ones that are any good. Hopefully we'll get more.

13. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I wouldn't expect too much out of Canto Bight if it's anything like that Aliens Anthology about characters from Maz's castle. Padme yet another YA novel too, doesn't preclude it from being "good" but it's still not going to satisfy many of those with more (exclusively) mature tastes*

The issue isn't as much that publishing has stopped entirely, just diverted from what it was before: Mostly adult novels, to what it is now: A couple of adult novels a year among a plethora of YA, comics, young readers, anthologies and movie novelisations.

*and no I'm not saying that adults who enjoy YA novels are somehow less "mature". Of course there's nothing wrong with that.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    My issue isn't that they will stop making them they obviously have continued to do so-it's that the novels are no longer relevant continue ruins of the story just filler in between movies.

That's what was so special about the old eu-these books we're following are continuing the story in the movies. There was a preciousness to that, that is lost.

DelRiego and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    While that may be true. However you do realize though that if they were actively making movies and tv shows while the EU was going on it would have been structured the exact same way the current stuff is.

16. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, no ****. I think he fully realizes that's the reason it is structured the way it is since he literally says:

17. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I agree. It seems like we've gotten less "mature" content and more YA. This year we got Thrawn, then the two R1 YA (RR & GotW), IS, Phamsma, TLPoA, and 2 more YAs. Are the YA good? Yea, some like all books. A trend is developing however. The comics are good and I've tried to keep up but can't it's just too expensive in addition to my other pull list.

18. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The lack of balance between YA and the adult novels is concerning for me, I'll admit.

19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I liked the YA books because they're solid books, regardless of label.

20. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    No doubt. I've gotten a little behind on my reading this yr but am totally going to pick up some of the ones I've missed.

21. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I wish I could as well, but I just find reading them difficult and cringey throughout most, regardless of their "quality".

Even a lot of the "adult" books are feeling very YA as well. The last two Phasma and Inferno Squad definitely had that sort of feel.

22. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Ah, yes. Someone bursting into blood and deliberate attacks on children scream YA to me.

23. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Subject matter like that doesn't affect how I view it at all. It's purely the level and maturity of the actual writing I'm talking about. You can theoretically have a childishly-written story about violent torture, or a maturely written story about tellytubbies.

But that's just me.

24. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    But how do you even quantify that? You could do some sort of in-depth case study on how the books don't have particularly mature writing or something of the sort, but how something feels is so subjective and hard to pin down that it's basically pointless. I don't think it feels YA, but that's just me.

25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    They say Star Wars on the cover and are about guys swinging around laser swords, of course the books are going to feel a little YA, or even childish. We're not talking about serious literature here. Like, sure, a Big Mac meal is more satisfying than a Happy Meal, but you know what's even better? Real food. Big Macs are delicious sometimes, but it's still just fast food.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk