main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST Never too Old (Disney animated movie quote challenge) [Han, Chewie]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Flyboy240, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Flyboy240

Flyboy240 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 6, 2017
    Han Solo, former Rebel Alliance General, sat in the corner of the grubby cantina. The music was different, there was a new bartender, and he recognized none of the other patrons, yet it was the same as it was twenty five years ago. Mos Eisely never changed. Nobody seemed to have noticed the fall of the Empire, or the death of Jabba.

Chewbacca made a few soft growls.

"He'll be here, don't worry."

Chewie just shrugged.

"Ah, never thought you'd be slumming it with these types again." A short, nondescript man with thinning black hair spoke.

"Good to see you too, Zar." Han swirled the amber liquid in his glass.

"So what is this, some secret mission for the Republic?" Zar took a seat across from Han.

"I'm not involved with them anymore." Han scowled.

"Sure sure... Well so long as the cargo doesn't get dumped." Zar cracked a smile, revealing crooked yet perfectly white teeth.

Chewie made a few growling and gurgling noises.

"Chewie wants to know what the cargo is." Han smoothed his silver hair and downed the rest of his drink.

"Blaster and ion cannons, Eriadu is still under embargo but pirates are quite a nuisance along the Hydian these days." Zar scratched his chin. "Ten thousand credits after a successful delivery."

"Fifteen, avoiding pirates and Republic inspection ain't easy." Especially in a large slow ship, Han thought.

"Ah, yes shame about the Falcon. Last I heard Dukane was flaunting it on Nar Shaddaa, but that was a couple years back." Zar actually knew the Falcon had changed hands again, but he was holding out for Solo to raise the reward.

"Twelve. With two thousand in advance. " Losing the Falcon, especially to an amateur like Dukane, still stung.

"Done." Zar slid two gilded credit chips across the table, and Chewbacca took them.

Chewbacca mumbled in approval, then handed the chips to Han, who slipped them into a pocket inside his brown jacket.

"Welcome back, Solo." Zar left the table and melted back into the crowd.

Han and Chewbacca made their way to the outskirts of the spaceport, where the Baleen-class heavy freighter was landed. The Eravana dwarfed the Falcon. It could easily swallow their old ship in it's massive cargo bay, which opened like the mouth of some terrifying sea monster. Han thought that perhaps he should get a small shuttle to compliment it, but the idea of leaving his ship unmanned in orbit above any world was difficult to accept.

Zar's crew was already there, ready to load the cargo containers they had hauled out. The loading went smoothly, and Chewie suggested Han should get some loader droids or a real crew. Han just shrugged.

The Eravana remained slow and ungainly despite Han's best efforts to improve it. The standard navicomputer also took a while to calculate the route. Han thought maybe he could call in a favor with an old friend in the Republic Navy to get a military grade navicomputer, but that might attract the attention of Leia.

He turned to Chewie as he waited. "Just like the good old days, huh pal?"

Chewbacca shrugged and made a few noises only very talented humans could replicate.

"I'm not that old, who are you to call me old? You're ten times my age." Han frowned as he caught his reflection on the viewport. His hair had gone gray years ago, and now his face was deeply lined. Still, Han thought he had aged well.

Chewbacca growled again. Chewie hadn't seemed to have aged a day since Han met him what felt like a lifetime ago.

"Fine, four times my age. Anyways, as a wise man once said, you're never too old to be young." Han raised his hand and pointed at Chewbacca.

Chewbacca made a grumbling noise and then made the Wookiee equivalent of a chuckle.

"I'm not trying to pass off my thoughts as ancient wisdom again, that's an actual Corellian proverb. " Han pushed a lever forward, and the stars turned into streaks as they once again entered hyperspace, ready to thread the needle between pirates and the authorities.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Very good characterizations and seamless use of the quote. ;)

Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.
  3. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    A nice, fun piece showing Han getting back into smuggling.

4. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    What was the quote?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. Flyboy240

Sep 6, 2017

"You're never too old to be young"

6. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Very nice use of the quote! I like seeing the older Han here. He is still the scoundrel and the smuggler that he was when he was younger, only wiser.

7. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    And I loved reading something about Mos Eisley and one of its shady cantinas. Glad that some things never change completely.

8. Hopefulwriter

Hopefulwriter Jedi Master star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    Enjoyed reading this. I too am writing about Han getting back into smuggling.
    Love to read different plots and points of view from other writers.

Lynda V.

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    This quote is a great match for Han, and especially for the between-episodes-6-and-7 Han! It's fun to see him back "just like the good old days," as others have mentioned, but there's also something bittersweet about it too: not that long ago he had risen from being a common smuggler to being a heroic Rebel general, one of the Alliance's—and the Republic's—most respected names, and now he finds himself back as a smuggler (though perhaps at this juncture no longer a merely "common" one). Thanks for sharing this and being part of the challenge! =D=

10. Flyboy240

Sep 6, 2017
    To me Han has a extremely interesting arc, he has so many ups and downs.

Thanks for all the positive comments

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Like this a lot; especially the line about hitting up an old friend in the Navy and being afraid Leia would find out. I wonder if Han will ever feel he fits in. Or maybe he feels he doesn't deserve to fit in?

This is a good outing!

12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    First of all, congrats on posting your first fic. :) I expect to see more from you, once you've settled in your new place and found a job. That said, dude, just WHERE have you been?

This story perfectly shows that old habits die hard. For some reason, my first thought is the song "Out in the Streets", even though a female narrator, Leia in this case, is not present. Han needed his freedoms, in a way.

And this exchange was JUST.PRICELESS.

LMAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOO! [face_laugh]

13. Flyboy240

Sep 6, 2017
    Glad you liked it :)

I've just been swamped with work but it'll slow down after the holidays.

Ewok Poet likes this.