main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

It's easily the best Bond film ever.

I watched Atomic Blonde. A curious mix of John Wick and late Cold War politics, you have this wonderful pallete of greyness to the Communist stuff (and you can see how miserable East Berlin was even today - all the pop up bars and galleries can't disguise the lack of colour and joy that the western parts of the city have in abundance) to the neon of the West. Mindless, convulted action with Theron kicking many a backside.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Black Sea (2014) A dozen deep sea salvage men take a submarine to pick up Nazi gold from a wrecked U-boat. It was properly claustrophobic and tense, with some decent suspense, but it won't ever compare to submarine classics like Das Boot, Run Silent Run Deep, or even Hunt for Red October.

3. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Run Silent, Run Deep is one of my all time favorite war films. Gable and Lancaster and all, such a great cast and script.

Sarge Did you like Morituri starring Brando and Brynner?

Sarge likes this.
  4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Diamonds Are Forever - Jesus Christ.

Rankings

On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    FRWL
    Goldfinger
    Dr. No
    Thunderball
    You Only Live Twice
    Diamonds Are Forever

5. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets.

Good solid Sci Fi/Fantasy film by Luc Besson.

8/10

6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

To quote Sir Isaac Newton "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.". I think that about sums up Diamonds are Forever. Coming off of OHMSS, w/it's more humanized Bond and tragic romance that didn't seem to sit well with critics and audiences at the time, DAF feels like an attempt at a course correction that over corrected. It sort of reminds me of when the Batman saga transitioned from Tim Burton's eerie gothic Batman Returns, which had similarly been deemed "not fun enough", w/Joel Schumacher's more colorful (and silly) Batman Forever. You can definitely see the seeds of what would become the tone of Bond during the Roger Moore era.

Connery, who ironically seemed to age so well by the 80s/90s, seems like a very old 41 here. I've read reviews that say he looked "paunchy/flabby", but I think tired/bored is a better description. I still think there's some good here. I enjoy the action--particularly the car stuff--there are the colorful henchmen/women and I like Shirley Bassey's theme.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Sarge like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Never saw Morituri. Should I?

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  8. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    I really like it. Seen it about 3 times.

It's a WW2 espionage drama that takes place on a German freighter. Really good acting. Suspenseful story.

Sarge likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Embarking on my holiday viewing - the 1984 George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol on one of the Sky movie channels.

DAR and Dagobahsystem like this.
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    And you even haven't gotten into the Roger Moore films yet. :p

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

I would think twice. I watched it expecting a great wartime adventure and found it just miserable and depressing. It's got a real misanthropic edge to it. Be aware before you try.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's not on Netflix, so I don't expect to see it for a while.

13. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    True Heart 1997 film I'd never heard of before, but recently saw it on television. It was a fun watch, with nice shots of the mountains, trees, rivers and wilderness being highlights. The footage of the bears was well done.

It's basically a family adventure story about two siblings lost in the woods after a plane crash. They befriend a Native American who helps them elude vicious poachers.
    Kirsten Dunst is an execellent actor and she does great work in this one too.

soitscometothis
    [​IMG]

14. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Dagobahsystem You really didn't find the whole sub-plot with the Jewish girl and the merchant seamen depressing?

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Even by the standards of the Moore films, Diamonds Are Forever is absolutely dire. I'm not sure Mr. Wint & Mr. Kidd were ever unseated as the most ridiculous villainous characters in the franchise. Roger Moore's rogues gallery seems positively grounded by comparison.

I do love the theme song; I actually prefer it to Goldfinger. And Jill St. John is . . . memorab - well, she's burned into my brain essentially. I was probably too young when I first saw this. But yeah, this one is just terrible.

16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I've only seen Diamonds Are Forever once, but it seems to me that the main Bond girl (forget her name) goes from being competent in the first part of the film, to almost completely the opposite in the second half.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Assassin's Creed There's one I won't be adding to the "Movies that were better than they had any right to be" thread. How did they take a movie about an eternal battle between assassins and Templars and make it so boring? It was like watching someone else play a video game. And I didn't expect a whole lot of historical accuracy, but the story must have been in a parallel universe that wasn't all that parallel to reality. And the theology was even worse than the history. The climax was about as anticlimactic as it could be. Please tell me there are no plans for a sequel.

18. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    There was, but I’m not so sure now. Let’s hope there isn’t, because that film was just an insult to us Assassin’s Creed fans.

19. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Morituri is a great movie overall and I thought it was really well done. I had no expectations going into it except that I assumed that Marlon Brando and Yul Brynner would kick *** and they did.

And no, nearly every other war movie I've ever seen is more "depressing" than Morituri. Did you ever watch Schindler's List or Platoon?

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Logan Lucky (2017) – Steven Soderbergh

Well, I said from the beginning that Soderbergh’s much blogged about retirement was a shell game and, sure enough, here he is again, coming back with a movie that is, perhaps in a nod to the scam he pulled with his “retirement,” a scam itself. In this film, a pair of fairly dimwitted brothers decide to pull off a major heist by robbing a stadium during a NASCAR race. The film is endearingly shaggy, but ultimately a little too loosely held together. The cast is quite good. Channing Tatum and Adam Driver are both very good as the lead characters. And I’ll admit that I was pretty skeptical about Daniel Craig walking in; casting the urbane British actor as a red-necked, bleached blonde hillbilly seemed like stunt casting. But damned if he isn’t actually the best thing about the movie; he disappears completely into his role and every second he’s on screen is a pure joy. Riley Keogh, an actress I’ve seen here and there but never been particularly impressed by, is a force of nature as the sexy, smart-mouthed sister of the two leads. Rounding out the impressive performances are Brian Gleeson & Jack Quaid as the lay about brothers of the Daniel Craig character; even the dimwitted main characters know that those two are dimwitted and that tells you something. The central sequence of the film, which covers a jailbreak & the heist itself, is a lot of fun and has some big laughs; the “bomb” Daniel Craig assembles had me on the floor laughing. But there are a lot of weaknesses too. Sometimes the comedy is just too broad and when I’m willing to except Adam Driver’s ludicrous pronunciation of “cauliflower,” you know a movie has to very, very broad indeed to be too broad. But go there it does. A “wacky” prison riot goes on far, far too long and doesn’t contain a single genuine chuckle. And the less said about Seth McFarlane’s unbelievably awful performance as the mincing British driver Max Chillblain, the better; the movie would have been tighter and better if he’d been written out entirely. He serves only the tiniest plot purpose and it could easily have been shifted to another character. And the movie goes a bit too long; it wants to have a big twist that isn’t, in my opinion, strictly necessary and by the time you realize that there was actually an entirely separate heist going on behind the scenes of the first heist, it’s hard to keep caring about anything. Though props to Hilary Swank for really nailing her tiny role as a hard-bitten FBI agent; she seems to essentially be doing a Clint Eastwood impression and it’s very funny. Anyway, it’s a solid movie with a lot of great entertainment; it never quite hits the great heights you feel like it could if it had been tightened up and given maybe one more solid draft. Still, it’s a lot of fun. 3 stars.

tl;dr – featuring a host of brilliant performances, this entertaining romp is a bit too long and too “clever” for its own good, but it’s still a fun watch. 3 stars.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Live and Let Die

Let's just get this out of the way. The blaxploitation elements in this movie are pretty bad, even for a blaxploitation film. Basically every black person in this movie is a ridiculous stereotype. And every single black person in Harlem, ie every person, is in cahoots with Kananga, and they all communicate with each other over cb radio. And 50% of Harlem males are pimps, and they all drive pimpmobiles. Every single corner has a loudly dressed pimp and a prostitute. It really drags down the film.

On a brighter note, not only is the title song great, the title sequence is the best so far, imo. The art is just on another level, some of the previous sequences looked kinda cheap. It's not perfect, but I thought they put a lot more money into it and it paid off.

Ah ha ha Moneypenny walks in on one of Bond's naked conquests trying to make a quiet escape. It's a funny position to put Moneypenny in. Lois Maxwell and Roger Moore seemed to lack the tension she had with Connery. Interested to see if this is the case over the whole of Moore's run.

Jane Seymour. *catches breath* Holy ****. I think she steals the spotlight from Roger Moore's weak debut performance. The whole The Lovers tarot reading is actually a great bit. For a Bond romance, it's actually pretty sweet. Bond pulls The Fool from the Tarot deck. I'm not sure they knew how accurate that was for Moore's Bond. Seymour does a nice job selling the terrified ingenue. Her execution scene in the graveyard is actually pretty intense and anxiety ridden, thanks to Seymour's acting and the beat of the drums. I think we also have to give a big thanks to the white dress, and really Solitaire's costuming and makeup throughout the movie. The costuming department knew what they had and what they were doing.

Geoffrey Holder's camp performance as Baron Samedi is pretty hilarious. Unlike many of the black portrayals in this movie, it really is good fun.

The terrible Sheriff Pepper is introduced, and the movie really drags. Nice overhead shots of the boats zipping through tight S turns in the bayou were a needed change of pace.

Since this came out two years after Dirty Harry, Bond carries the same S&W Model 29. Yeah. That's not an out of place fad.

All time great title song and Holy **** Jane Seymour are not enough to hide the fact that this is actually just a pretty poor blaxploitation film. The film should have stayed in San Monique, at least the voodoo thing had some fun to it.

The end shot of Baron Samedi still cracks me up, though.

Since I fawned over Jane Seymour, I have to give Gloria Hendry credit for her unbelievable bikini body, too.

It's hard ranking this one. Other than Seymour, Holder and the great theme, a lot of it is pretty weak. It drags. There's really not a lot to the drug plot, or anything that happens in America. All the juicy stuff is in San Monique. I don't think the Kananga/Mr Big thing ever fooled anyone, did it? Not only was the makeup used to disguise him obvious, but it didn't even change the shape of his face much. There's a lot of stupid Bond villain crap, with one opportunity to kill Bond after another delayed for absolutely no reason. In some of the prior films, like Dr. No, FRWL, and Goldfinger, the villain had a reason. There's at least two silly/stupid death traps, the croc farm and the slow dipping mechanism over yet another shark pool.

What's good in this film is actually quite powerful, there's just too little of it. Still, I rank it higher than the exceedingly dull Thunderball.

Rankings

On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    FRWL
    Goldfinger
    Dr. No
    Live and Let Die
    Thunderball
    You Only Live Twice
    Diamonds Are Forever

My memories of this were better than the reality, likely due to remembering the great song, Jane Seymour and Holder, and maybe not noticing/minding the extensive racial stereotyping.

22. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Live and Let Die is top 10 Bond for me.

23. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The racism was way worst in the book.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  24. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Live and Let Die is a guilty pleasure of mine. It's the theme song, Jane Seymore, and the barking mad fantasy plot that do it for me. The cringe-factor is uncomfortably high though, even for a Moore Bond.

25. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    And we're not talking about Moonraker yet. :p