main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Woah, okay, let's all take a breath.

Everyone should feel like they can share their stories on here so long as they are within the rules. Sometimes people need encouragement, and that's okay. Putting yourself out there with something creative you've done can be very difficult. Some people and some types of stories get more readers than others and that can be painful when you've put yourself out there, and I'm pretty sure it's something everyone has experienced at one time or another. Let's not get into arguments about who has readers and why, it's not fair to anyone. Real life gets in the way of people who were commenters or want to comment, or sometimes it's just not up their alley. We all have likes and dislikes.

2. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    [Removed]
    Continuing the argument after a mod warning isn't a good idea.

3. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Wow! This thread is supposed to be about love. So, has anybody read the book Phasma and written any Moradi/Cardinal stories that you know of? I'm thinking they may be the next OTP. :D Maybe I will write something about those two crazy kids.

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Understood, mavjade - and you have said it better than I did, I just don't have a diplomatic gene in me. O_O

Guess this is the right time for the sock to come up with a new discussion topic. :D

I'll consider that a recommendation. :) Not familiar with those two characters, but it sounds intriguing and I know that you have a taste for obscure pairings.

5. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Discussion #11 - Writing Obscure/Rare Pairings

Do you write obscure or rare pairings? Do you know anybody else who writes any of those you like? Do you find this challenging in comparison with writing popular pairings such as, say, Luke Skywalker/Mara Jade, Han Solo/Leia Organa, Revan/Bastila Shan? Do you get more or less readers when writing your obscure pairings? This does not apply to OC pairings.

This topic was inspired by what Ewok_Slayer said above and partly by what Chyntuck said on the previous page.

Findswoman likes this.
  6. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Cool! I would like to read something more unusual than a Dathomiri witch and a sentient droid. :p And they are legends canon.

My I5YQ/Magash and Jax/Sasha stories didn't get much readership, but I really enjoyed writing about them.

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    This has been a sensitive topic here for as long as I've been around and I'm sure it has been a sensitive topic ever since fanfiction and shipping started.

Full disclosure, I'm a writer whose muse/shipping/fanfic interests over the past 4-5 years has really swung from the most popular shippings (at least around here) to kinda obscure shippings, to now... let's just say I love my audience member. I started out in fanfic here as a L/M shipper, and yeah, that is when I got the most readers (probably for a number of reasons: part of that time was pre-move and even after the move the L/M-ers kinda dominated this place since we all kinda kept in contact over the move). When my muse kinda shifted to Bail/Breha (still a canon ship, but not nearly as popular as many of the movie/EU ships) I did see a decline in readers, but I still wrote it because that is what I had fun writing. And now, I'm writing both canon and two OC/OC ships in a completely different fandom and I know I am super lucky to have a reader and I am super thankful and glad to have her (though it is all her fault anyways I'm writing in this fandom). But I'm having a blast and I have plans to undertake (another) 50k diary in this fandom with OCs/OCs. I'm going into it knowing full well who my audience will be.

But I don't care because I'm having fun writing. And, yeah, I will fully acknowledge that, if I had no readers, I probably would not have gotten this far into this fandom. Fanfic takes time and energy and guts to put your work out there and to continue to produce work. I know I often say "write for yourself - this is a fun hobby (blah, blah, blah)" but it can be hard to find inspiration or motivation if you aren't able to interact with others who are reading your ships.

We all want more readers and more interaction, but I don't fault people for not being into what I am writing and I hope people don't fault me for not being interested in what they are writing.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Captain Rakkaus Ewok Poet Either my question about the challenge was unclear, or I don't understand your answer :p

My question had to do with this item of the rules:
    This seems to imply that, while we don't need permission to write long-established pairings as long as it isn't within another writer's universe, we *do need* permission to write minor pairings that are established in canon or Legends. Am I understanding this correctly? And if yes, why would things be different for minor established pairings than for long-established pairings, since neither were created by a fanfic writer?

Captain Rakkaus likes this.
  9. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Writing about rare canon pairings is okay though if the pairing you’re interested in has been is particularly liked or frequently written about by someone else, you are highly encouraged to check in with that person and/or read their work.This is about swapping and I recommend writing about a minor pairing that I would give you randomly, from the wanted era and continuity, only if you can't find anybody else to swap with.

Does it make more sense now?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I must be a bit thick because I'm on my third cup of coffee :p and I still don't get if and why we're making a distinction between "major" and "minor" established pairings. But there's a solution to that: I'll keep any established pairing stories I want to write out of this challenge and stick with original pairings here.

I need to update my OC Index post first, and I'll put a few pairings up for swapping.

Captain Rakkaus and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm sleep deprived myself, so I get that. But basically...yes.

And yup, you updated that one in, like, 2015. But I'm afraid that, when both you and I get to updating our entries, we might break the thread.

Captain Rakkaus and divapilot like this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Despite the days ticking down, it seems that I am only able to successfully update my entry at weekends.

Just not had the chance to do anything in the weekday evenings.

So, you will have to tell me when I need to post something or get off the pot (fresher).

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Can you rephrase that? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    You usually tell us when we need to have posted something, even if not completed, to be included in the challenge.

15. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    According to the challenge rules:

16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    That refers to a completed story.

I'm sure that EP has, when players advise that they cannot complete by the challenge rules deadline, advised a date to post something, even if only a chapter, and that is what I am asking about.

If I'm wrong, then I'll pull out of the challenge, and put the fic up whenever.

17. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Basically, as long as you START posting the story before the deadline, it's okay. Since there are no required elements, but the plot itself is an element, there needs to be some, any content in order for the story to be considered for voting. Is that better?

That said, how are all of you coming along?

Findswoman likes this.
  18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you, that was what I was after.

Okay, my people have read the fairy tale, organised the mission, gathered the crew and sorted out in-transit dietary requirements, then via a time jump, arrived at the destination planet.

However, I am nowhere near the core of the story.

Captain Rakkaus and Chyntuck like this.
  19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Sith-I-5 Please, please tell me that you're writing this story in SW or at least a fandom I'm familiar with, because I love the concept and I definitely want to read it!

My fairy tale entry is mostly written, but I'm not entirely happy with it. It's a one-shot, so it will appear on these boards if I can motivate myself to polish it before the deadline.

Captain Rakkaus and Sith-I-5 like this.
  20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    It's Star Wars. Three TFA characters, although I cameo'd a fourth last night.

Not too long after Kylo's fall from the swings Light.

EDIT: Okay-dokey, I have put the first part of The Princess of Renatasia up. Now I have two lots of hardcopy to re-type, to bring my team to the destination planet.

21. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    How do you edit titles as I think I need to repost my story link...

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Go to the very first post of your thread, go to edit it, then click on the [More Options] button.

Either above or below your main edit box, you should see options to re-do your titles.

23. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Sith-I-5, Chyntuck - I'd go for it, no matter what. Doesn't have to be perfect. J-j-j-j-j-just do it. :) Looking forward to reading both stories, though I have a lot of things you produced in the meantime in my backlog and it makes me super-anxious. :p

Nehru_Amidala - A bit confused here, why would you want to repost the link? Or did you not post it before? I was a plant until a couple of weeks ago, so I might as well be missing something obvious and I'm soz.

Also...any more people willing to give their two cents, pare, eurocents, drachmas or whatev' on the most recent discussion topic? How about those who want to take part in the OTP swap?

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hmmm. I invariably write H/L and L/M but I do love reading rarely written pairings in Legends like Bail/Breha or Tycho/Winter.

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002