main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Didn't stop the prequels where almost every new major character introduced died (except for Jar-Jar). Which means Jar-Jar really should be in it too.

Darkslayer and B3 like this.
  2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    In my headcanon, the fan edit where Jar Jar was present on Alderaan when the death star destroyed it, is true. :p

But I digress.

I would prefer a the LA series doesn't focus on Luke or any of the traditional SW core cast. I feel like that time period and those people have been too overexposed. Too "done and done". There's no harm in coming back to them down the line a bit, but at the moment I'd love something well away from them, which is why I kinda hope for a TOR era setting.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's fun to speculate but, overall, I would bet on that "Lucas developed 100 hours of TV content in the script stage, let's do that". And I'd say Dave Filoni would be the showrunner. (Yes, in live action and not animation)

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

But we didn't know that in the beginning and we didn't know when and how they would die.

With a TV show set around Luke's New Order, we would know from the very start that everybody would die when Ben goes Kylo and betrays everyone. I guess the interesting thing about that show would be to see how and why Ben Solo became Kylo Ren, however then it would basically be a Luke & Ben Show, which I wouldn't mind if it would be Mark Hamill and Adam Driver playing them ;)

5. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Looking forward to anything GL and Filoni.

B3 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    We do not know that everyone dies in the assault. There could be one or two that fake their deaths or run away or something. I would not put it past them, especially if it actually became a tv show. (I would prefer a book series though.) I would like if more then Luke survived, maybe they even piloted Luke and R2 off planet. Is there anything that officially states EVERYONE died in the attack or was it just assumed?

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    All we have is Han's dialogue in TFA

HAN
    He was training a new generation of
    Jedi. One boy, an apprentice turned
    against him, destroyed it all. Luke
    felt responsible... He walked away from everything.

And whatever we learn in TLJ. But considering Luke Skywalker is The Last Jedi, I'd say everyone is dead except for him.

8. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I guess part of it also depends on how long they want the series to run and what format they want it to take. If they want (assuming the series & platform are successful) to do multiple seasons/an ongoing story (like the Skywalker Saga films or the new trilogy) then a clearer spot in the timeline with fewer (or even no) connections to the main saga seems most likely. If they want to do stand alone seasons that all tell a single story (like the Story movies but for a full season) then we'd have more chance of getting things like Luke's training of Ben and his fall to the dark side.

Nothing to base this on but I think they'll want a potentially ongoing series (at least to start with). Maybe one day we could get both, if Marvel can do 2-3 Netflix series per year there's no reason Star Wars can't. Plus I think multiple TV series would be easier to sustain without risking fatigue compared to multiple movies per year (no idea why I think that, no evidence to support it, just a feeling really).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

If anybody else other than Luke survived the (second) Jedi purge, it would take away from the dramatical impact of TLJ in my opinion. Luke has to be the last one in the beginning of TLJ.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. scott nelso

scott nelso Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2017
    A series about Lukes academy would be great for a limited season run, say 3 seasons. so much could be done and set up so many things to move forward without the skywalker's being the focus.

You could have some escaped partially trained jedi at the end, what did Luke learn and what and how would he train, and they could romp the galaxy looking for old holocrons and the like.
    And just to be more fun.....Ashoka could be there showing she survived somehow and have her not survive the assault.
    Luke could have found a few surviving jedi or partially trained force users in his exile to help run an academy or help finish training.
    Not all of his "students" had to be blank slates. Canon has shown that there are a few jedi hiding, or trying to hide, and rebels shows one being trained. A series about Lukes academy could do so many things and also lead to so many other projects as well.

cwustudent, BigAl6ft6 and kalzeth like this.
  11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    It seems highly likely likely given the TLJ spoilers that
    the backstories involving Luke, Snoke, Ben, and pretty much everything between ROTJ and TFA are totally wrapped up as far as saga storytelling goes. And while it's not a sure thing, it would not be surprising now if the silence around the next animated series is because it is to be set during that timeline. And that would be great. Honestly, the films need the narrative space to move forward. And animation would be the ideal way to fill in that gap, especially since Mark is known for his VA work and seems committed to SW at the moment, and of course Anthony and Billy Dee have already done voice work for SW animation.

We can be pretty sure there's been a new cartoon in development for a while and the silence has been conspicuous. It strikes me that this would also be a shot to do a slightly more "mature" animated show without alienating younger fans because the focus on classic characters would automatically make this a higher profile show than TCW or Rebels could ever have been.

Anyone else finding this at least somewhat likely?

bergs1975, cwustudent and podjazd like this.
  12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Post-RoTJ animated series has been rumoured for years.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Some people thought that the next show after TCW was going to be post ROTJ this was before Rebels was announced

14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    That was based off a fake script.

15. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    It's been rumored but it seems like now it can very specifically be done. And if it's been in development concurrent with TLJ, that'd explain the silence. I wouldn't have considered it a "given" though until we discovered
    whether or not TLJ finished up the film series' revelations about the interrim story. It very much seems that it has -- I don't see any lingering questions that would have any place in IX, at least. There's a lot left unrevealed that would be fun to discover, but it doesn't require explaining to move the films forward and would seem odd if shoehorned in.

It would just be rad to find out that this has been happening for a while already and just hasn't been announced. Particularly if some dreams about the voice cast turn out to be reality.

16. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I fully expect the next animated show to do a Clone wars but with lukes jedi order for a couple of seasons.

There is way to much that wasn't explored in TLJ

17. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

I would say TLJ explained almost nothing when it comes to Luke's Jedi Order.

podjazd and kalzeth like this.
  18. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I really hope we get a post ROTJ show, then I can edit together my own sequel trilogy.

19. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    After seeing Last Jedi I'd really like the next animated series to be (warning MAJOR spoilers)

Post-IX (maybe between TLJ and IX depending on the time jump) Force Ghost Luke training the next generation of Jedi who were inspired by his legendary last stand.

We saw Yoda able to interact with the island more physically - hitting Luke with his stick and using lightening. I'm thinking Luke would be more solid yet, appearing like his Force Projection did and interacting with the physical world even more so (whilst he may have avoided contact during the duel, the Falcon dice where "there", both Leia and Kylo interacted with them).

20. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    I really want something starting just after Endor and the further adventures of Luke, Han and Leia.

21. Sean Mason

Sean Mason Jedi Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    We will either see something set post ROTJ or post TLJ (assuming we're going to get a 5/6 year narrative time jump between it and the next movie). Filoni is almost certainly going to be show runner (he shadowed Rian Johnson on TLJ).

ChrisLyne likes this.
  22. Powerful Lord

Powerful Lord Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2015
    Hopefuly the next long running animated show is gonna be set right after TLJ. There's just so much to explore. Much more than there even was in The Clone Wars.

There's both the potential of the original trio's further adventures after Endor until the Empire's complete defeat and the potential for a show about Luke training new Jedi.

I'm confused about some feeling it would only need to be a limited series. I mean, we got 6 seasons out of the 2 year period of the Clone Wars and the show's creators were ready for an 8th season on the very least. Imagine how much can be done with the 30 years period between VI and VII.

I doubt we'll get a show set after IX for now though. They should probably wait till after the 4th episodic trilogy. These shows should compliment the main stores, not replace them as sequels or dictate what stories they will have to tell in the future. Unless episode IX takes place some years after VIII, if that happens, there is the potential to make a new TCW type of show set during that period of time.

cwustudent likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    At this point having a show set 15 years after Jedi would be the best bet I think

24. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    We know quite a lot about what Han and Leia were up to between Endor and Jakku from novels, comics and games. With Luke, there's much less information, thou there are few bits and pieces.

If there is a TV show set post-ROTJ, I would prefer it to be after Jakku, as the time period between Endor and Jakku is already pretty packed.

Oh, and the the Clone Wars took 3 years.

kalzeth likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ya I think we can at least expect it to be after Jakku