main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Rated R Star Trek.

Please let Sam Jackson play a Klingon that has mother ****er in subtitles.

2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I have a really hard time believing that. Especially because Paramount is really going to want this to be a hit after the lackluster box office performance of Star Trek Beyond.

3. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Dude on twitter makes good point....if Disney buys Fox the Aliens franchise is now apart of Disney. This means that The xenomorphs birthed from a queen are now Disney Princesses.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  5. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

So Dante’s Peak meets Jurassic Park. Okay....so.....I will say this is better than Dinosaurs shooting missiles at each other, an idea I’d save for a different franchise.

Still, it’s such a cartoon now, and I find it hard to connect this world with the original movie. Trevorrow was going for a Spielberg vibe with his movie. He is after all another son of Spielberg like Gareth Edwards and Abrams. This doesn’t have that look. Everything looks dark and not as fun. Jurassic Word was decent, and had probably the last great idea for the franchise. If we’re destroying the island then I’d hope this would be the end of the series for good.

My thoughts based off one trailer. If any thing I hope Pierce Brosnan and Tommy Lee Jones come to save the day at the end.

Guidman likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Ya know, I really didn't have much interest in seeing Fallen Kingdom until I saw that trailer. It looks very fun and it looks like the island is destroyed. And as such, I'm wondering where the story would go from there. I don't think the volcano eruption happens in the final act of the movie, but probably in the second.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I think Paramount and Bad Robot do want to make another Star Trek movie but I don't think they're rushing it to hit set in stone release dates like Into Darkness and Beyond did. So they probably were working on a story (they said they had one that involved Hemsworth returning back when Beyond came out) and Tarantino, who is always spouting off movie ideas in anything frankly, probably told Abrams what his notion was. The thing is, it's Abrams and Bad Robot so they're actually taking QT's idea and running with it, the production machine in motion.

Like I said in the Star Trek thread, I kinda doubt Tarantino will direct it. But I do think we may get a Star Trek movie with a story by credit to Tarantino which is sort of mindbending in itself.

8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Ya know, I've never seen either Escape from... films.

I suppose I should at some point.

10. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The first one's the only one worth watching.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  11. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    If you like Carpenter you’ll like the first movie.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I’ve only seen LA- it’s just wacky enough to be a fun, bad movie. And I actually have always loved the ending.

I really do need to watch NY at some point, though- one of the few main Carpenter films I haven’t seen yet. Possibly the only?

Site B?

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I found Escape from New York to be overrated. I have only seen it once though. I should probably revisit it at some point.

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Escape From New York remains my all time favorite movie. The first two passes at the remake script were terrible(Snake talked way too much.) So I take this with a salt mine. If they cast Wyatt or Anson Mount that would earn some good will from me. That said, we could use an awesome war vet anti-hero who doesn’t give a *$@! about the president right now.

15. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Looking at the Golden Globe nominations...

Best Motion Picture - Drama, bummed that Logan is not nominated even though it was a very long shot. So far, I've only seen "Dunkirk" of the nominees. I've never heard of "Call Me by Your Name" so I'm going to check out the trailer soon. I'll most likely see "The Shape of Water" before the end of the year. "The Post" and "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" I'll most likely watch when it's available for home viewing.

Best Motion Picture - Comedy, I've only seen Get Out. And per usual, the Golden Globe shoe horns films into this category to bring in the starts to their event.

Looking at the rest of the categories and nominees, I haven't seen about 98% of it.

And for the TV side of things...

Best TV Series - Drama, I watched the first half of season one of The Crown and I couldn't get into the show. I haven't watched "The Handmaid's Tale." I'm waiting for Runaways entire season to be available on Hulu first. And even though I love Stranger Things and This Is Us, I'm pulling for Game of Thrones.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Call Me By Your Name is getting raves. It opens around here in February, so I won't get to see it until after the ceremony. Really looking forward to The Shape of Water. Planning to go see Three Billboards tomorrow actually.

As for comedies, Get Out isn't one, but at least it got a nomination and, to be fair, it has a lot of very funny stuff in it, courtesy of one character in particular. Seems disingenuous of Peele to ask "What are you laughing at?" I mean, clearly, Lil Rel, right? I mean, he is in it and he's hilarious so that's one thing we're laughing at. Glad to see Lady Bird get some love. Gonna see The Disaster Artist today actually. And really looking forward to I, Tonya.

As far as the acting awards, I don't think Elgort really deserves a nomination for Baby Driver. The nomination that one needed was Jon Hamm for Supporting Actor; he was amazing and it's his best performance yet, I think. Kaluuya is a welcome surprise. I haven't seen a lot of the other stuff: haven't seen any of the Best Actor or Actress drama performances; catching Three Billboards & The Disaster Artist today and tomorrow will clean up a lot of the acting/supporting acting nominations. Nice to see Willem Dafoe get a nod for The Florida Project; really restrained performance. But I thought Bria Vinaite gave the real performance of that movie; she was amazing - and it was her debut film. Really raw, very naturalistic, felt very real. Still a lot of intriguing performances I'm looking forward to checking out: always great to see Richard Jenkins nominated for something; I thought Hong Chau was really great in Inherent Vice, so I'm now really curious about her role in Downsizing; really looking forward to Jessica Chastain in Molly's Game. Though I figure Christopher Plummer got a nomination for All the Money in the World purely as a statement about that whole recasting kerfuffle. Though if he managed to pull that whole switcheroo off with even the minimum of grace, I think Scott probably deserves a director nomination just for that; that was a really historic challenge for a director and if he nailed it, that's incredibly impressive all by itself.

And, in the absolute travesty category, that total piece of **** Loving Vincent got a nomination in the Best Animated category. That movie was a ******* crime.

Best Foreign Language Film? I've seen none of them and only heard of a couple. But I am beyond pumped for The Square. Always glad to see Elisabeth Moss actually getting something to do and Ostlund's last film, Force Majeure, was as pitch-black as black comedies get. Probably the cringiest movie I've ever seen actually.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    three billboards will never come to our little podunk movie theater, so i have to drive a hundred miles in the winter to watch a movie, and i might just do it. i consider both in bruges and seven psychopaths to be masterpieces.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Actually, I think Jordan Peele has consistently said that it's a horror comedy.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Very interesting early word on TLJ. Not counting the “It’s Awesome and has cool battles” bits, I can’t tell if anyone likes the film or not. The running theme is that they need to see it again to see what they thought of it.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Here's Jordan Peel's official response to the Get Out getting the Golden Globes nomination for "Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy:"

From Deadline:

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I think it was the female lead of the film (can't remember her name on the fly) who said in a recent interview that black people more often found the movie funny, not because it's hilarious, but because the social subtext of the movie is like dark comedy, precisely because they see truth in it.

23. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I’m about to go to the New Zealand premier of The Last Jedi. I’m both excited and nervous at the same time.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I just got back from it and I have two words for you: Start driving.

You know, in all seriousness, a hundred miles is a long way and it will come to home media eventually, so it's not like driving a hundred miles to see a once in a lifetime play or something like that. But it is amazing. I don't want to oversell it so that it seems disappointing when you actually see it, so I won't say much. But it is amazing. Masterpiece is absolutely the word. I need to refresh myself on what movies I've seen this year, but off the top of my head, it's the best 2017 movie I've seen.

tom likes this.
  25. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It turns out it was 3D, so I left and went home. So I'll be seeing it for the first time tomorrow night.