main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Story Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    First step get kannedy fired. Then find someone who understands the source Material.
    Two movies into the ST and there is nothing New what brings the Story forward, the Movies feel more like OT Fan comercials.

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    TLJ makes TFA look like Citizen Kane

3. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    All i've heard for two years has been how "TFA is a poor ANH". Rian gives everyone the middle finger and creates a movie that subverts the expectations and headcanon, now everyone is going to swing back to the other side?

What Now is the PERFECT title for this thread. I am tingling with anticipation for IX. We have no idea where this is heading and I'M LOVING IT!!

4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep, not worth the time to invest on this anymore. No more super Rey against emo Kylo.

SunStar and Darth Smurf like this.
  5. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I’m excited to see how Abrams salvages the trilogy.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  6. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    In 100% agreement.

7. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I hope there’s at least a several year time jump between films. I haven’t seen TLJ yet, and I assume it implies the passage of time, what with Rey’s training and all, but it could still only be a matter of weeks. This trilogy won’t feel momentous enough if the whole thing only takes place over the course of an in-universe month.

Yora and kalzeth like this.
  8. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    I'm pretty sure apparation Luke says to Ben, "See you around, kiddo" - which has got be a sign that Luke will continue to play a part in both Rey's and Ben's arcs in IX, though I'm not expecting much screen time.

The whole Canto Bight storyline can only be justified in that it introduces broom boy and his pals, so they must take inspiration from Luke's passive sacrifice and form some form of force-wielding peace corps, presumably under Leia's leadership until she's written out.

Rey's origins need fleshing out. If the BS about her in TLJ turns out to be legit then.... no words [face_sigh]I guess it would mean that Ben is the last Skywalker, Ben will get his comeuppance, and hence the Skywalker saga will end, but it would be on a rather sour note for the troubled family to end: Shmi - dead by Tuskens; Anakin - lost his wife and children, mutilated by lightsabres and fire, then beholden to the Emperor, before a moment's redemption; Luke - no parents, dead uncle & aunt, some fun fighting the Empire, then a life spent alone on an island, death by over-exertion; Leia - home planet blown in front of her eyes, lost son, died inexplicably between films; Ben - didn't like Daddy but we'll never know why (?), thought his Uncle was trying to do him in, then years in spat with Hux whilst dissed by Snoke, then shot by Chewie, sliced by Rey, embarrassed by Uncle... what an unfortunate family the Skywalkers turned out to be.

9. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Disney should definitely stay away from leting fanboys direct SW Movies.

10. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015

I weirdly am not feeling a ton of anticipation for IX, but I still totally feel this. I think it's because VIII is just SO much and kind of resolves the immediate story established by VII without resolving the larger story, so that you're left feeling way more satisfied storywise at the end of VIII than VII.

I'm kind of just so happy that this movie exists in a way. It has its flaws (some pacing/tone issues, Finn in particular wasn't written well), but it just completely launches the franchise forward in such an intense, satisfying way. I'm so excited to see how the story progresses

11. Maylander

Maylander Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    1) Setting up Kylo vs Rey for the final movie by removing everyone else was hardly "subverting expectations". It was exactly as expected.
    2) We do have an idea of where this is heading. In fact, we know exactly where it is headed: Luke's actions help spark resistance around the galaxy, allowing Poe (not Leia, she'll be out of the picture soon) to rebuild. Rey trains herself via the books she stole and eventually flattens Kylo. Skywalker lineage ends. Boom, done. Abrams is a good director, but he's hardly one for amazing plot twists or deep backgrounds. It'll be very predictable.

12. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    FANBOY?!
    Oi maybe Abrams, the cast did their best but otherwise NOPE!

Yora likes this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

This isn't that hard. Stay on topic in here and be constructive.

14. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Ironically the heroes are now like the cast of Rebels more than ever. Just replace the Ghost with the Falcon.

15. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    BB-8 shooting stormtroppers in the walker was such a Chopper thing to do

Vohnkar and cerealbox like this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thinking about this more, this really does fit better into the Episode IX forum. You can still use your thoughts from TLJ to inform your discussion points, but it's more about the next steps than it is solely about TLJ. So I'm moving this to the Episode IX forum.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  17. Darth Camp

Darth Camp Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I’m not at all excited for an episode 9. When I left the theater after seeing The Force Awakens I would have immediately gone in to see an Episode 8. After seeing The Last Jedi I just do not care.

One of the biggest problems with this film is that it blows everything up and fails to set up anything new that you want to see answered in the 3rd film.

Luke is dead. Snoke is dead. Leia will have to die (off screen). Rey’s parents do not matter. All that can happen is Rey confronts Kylo and wins, which she already did in TFA.

Jo Lucas, Twain, Kurenai24 and 4 others like this.
  18. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Knights of Ren sub-bosses!!!!!!

If there's one thing TLJ could set up, is that 6 of Lukes ex-students became the Knights of Ren.

Let's face it. TLJ Marketing is now done with Snoke and the Praetorian guard. Phasma is gone.

They're running out of stormtrooper variants.

And now Kylo's on the throne.

Episode IX's going to have to market the living $@%# out of the Knights of Ren as formidable enemies to the good guys.

19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Perhaps IX will be another ANH since, from what I am hearing, TLJ pretty much ends like ROTS.

But EVERYTHING has to be wrapped up in another A New Hope movie. And JJ is an expert at making A New Hope movies lol. So he can do another.

Probably another Death Star lol

Darth Camp that's pretty much it. We have a villain and a hero but the hero has already beaten the villain. Either they BOTH die or Rey beats Kylo AGAIN.

20. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    The main problem is that TLJ was the end of this trilogy (made of only 2 movies this time). The next movie should not be called IX and be a standalone or a start of a new trilogy. Everything is wrapped up to start something new in 20-100 years.

21. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I will never ever say what should or probably will take place. However, it would be nice if Rey did more soul searching and research what REALLY happened in her past and pull more twists about her background that leads to more tension and resolutions at least. It is possible, although remotely so, that the junkers were not her real parents. I don't want to get into a Rey parentage thing again, but I'd like to think there's more to the story and that "more" has great impact on how this all ends up.

Seems like there should be two duaologies rather than one trilogy.

ladygrey45 likes this.
  22. JadeShadow94

JadeShadow94 Jedi Padawan

May 5, 2015
    I think that it would be interesting if Rey is led by Luke or a force vision to an enclave that is a haven for Jedi to escape the Dark Side. Run by an old survivor of the Jedi Purge, so Rey gets to see what actual Jedi are like. Maybe she even discovers that this is where she is truly from and that Kylo Ren was trying to manipulate her. Maybe even make reference that she was a virgin birth, connecting her to the Chosen One legend. She comes to the realization that the enclave has strayed from the Jedi path, because they are unwilling to reconnect with the outside world and take on the mantel of the galaxies protectors. She then tries to convince them to join her, and there's a big back and forth on how Jedi aren't supposed to be war mongers, but Rey argues that they have to stand for what is right.

It would give Rey some actual character motivation and development that I think a lot of people have been missing out on from her. The back half could have an awesome duel sequence between Rey's Jedi recruits and Kylo's Knights of Ren.

ladygrey45 and kalzeth like this.
  23. Chunkydumb

Chunkydumb Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014

This. 100%. My major problem with TLJ is Luke dying but we have no idea what will happen in IX with him, especially now that Carrie is gone, and I can't wait. RJ, despite cocking up in some places, has taken these characters to a place none of us expected and I avidly await 2019.

24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    There was certainly more, however show must go on. The King is dead, long live the King!

nightangel likes this.
  25. Chunkydumb

Chunkydumb Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Whats the world like in 2019 then? Any different? Much be a great honour for you to have time travelled and watched IX already. Sorry mate but I'm calling bs on it being predictable, we have no idea what they're going to pull off.