main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Story Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 13, 2017.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

2. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    LOL.. if they had BB-8 'say' it just... lol. And i'm not laughing in a good way.

But hey.. you'll see it on Closed Captioning!

kalzeth likes this.
  3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    What now?

Wait for Old Republic material (please have Rians trilogy be pre-TPM).

I did enjoy TLJ, but I want to see a new era that isn't about Empire vs small rebellion and the Jedi rising slowly from 1 person.

Though I would be more excited for the future of the ST era if we got an animated series (set pre-IX) out of it, that helped to give us more of Rey's journey that can not be contained to just IX while producing needed world building in a period that still has little of it.

4. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I think that the IX will be set a few years after VIII. Kylo Ren will still be Supreme Leader, and will still have a soft spot for Rey. Rey will be a competent Jedi, have received additional training from Luke (ghost form, obviously) and the Resistance has recovered somewhat, built up forces, and is preparing for a final strike against the First Order.

I'll guess at a few of the beats:

1) There's more to Rey than what we know, but it's not in regard to her parents. They really are nobody, but she is powerful for a reason. We will find out why.
    2) Poe will assume leadership of the Resistance, and he will be the one that has a romantic relationship with Rey. Finn and Rose will end up together as well.
    3) Anakin will return as a Force ghost and speak to Kylo Ren near the end of the movie.
    4) Rey will destroy the Knights of Ren. She will then fight Kylo Ren and mortally wound him. As he passes, he asks her to forgive him for everything that he's done.

5. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Some interesting ideas there. Regarding Rey's origins though, just like Anakin's birth was hinted as being a reaction of the Force, they've hinted the same for Rey and I think they will leave it at that.

6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    If fans are not happy, despite box office numbers, it just takes Iger asking the same question 'What now" followed by "hey, fans are upset, please fix this" and it will be done

7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    sadly not possible after TLJ. They cannot make this movie undone. :(

Alpha Cloudleaper and kalzeth like this.
  8. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    I hope you find peace and purpose by the time the trilogy is over.

civilsecret likes this.
  9. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

It's going to take a miracle to retrieve anything from the final chapter, the pacing has gone from the story.

10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    First, I need to buy a 'Hot Toy' version of...or a poster of Luke's look when he faced Kylo Ren because that was literally how I always imagined he'd look. Not his ROTJ look, not the old school Jedi robes...but something that echoed both while being new.

Vehicle wise the gates are now open for every single ship, craft, tank etc that the EU ever produced in it's post ROTJ continuity. I'm talking E-Wing fighters, Chiss Clawcraft, Hapan Battle ships...we can work it ALL in now.

As for the characters and Story....DJ needs a punch in his face and either Finn or Rose needs to deliver it. The Knights of Ren (Luke's former students) need to make a come back in some way shape or form. Poe is likely going to be stuck in Leia's Role while Finn rises to military command...though with Finn I'd have him be more like "Inferno Squad" than just a straight pilot. Kylo Ren is likely running the First Order into the ground, while Hux plots to usurp him. If Phasma's not been burned into a crisp she's likely after Finn for revenge. Rey is either trying to rebuilt the order while fighting the First Order...or perhaps she's working to convince Luke's other students to turn away from kylo...

Seriously....this film upends so many expected directions that, for a writer, it's go to be half 'Kid in a candy store' and half 'Absolute dread'.

kalzeth, kefo1968 and redxavier like this.
  11. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015
    A kid in a candy store, where Rian Johnson ate all the good candy and even some of the bad. Now the shelves are bare and yet you have to climax a trilogy. Good Luck..

Alpha Cloudleaper and kalzeth like this.
  12. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Maybe Rey and Kylo kill each other in IX. Would fit. [face_plain]

Varouneire likes this.
  13. akaydia41188

akaydia41188 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2016
    I'm looking forward to episode 9. I already have questions and predictions.

1. How is emperor Kylo going to rule?
    Seeing how Kylo is insecure, I bet he will try to wipe out the opposition and not be a benevolent ruler. I get the feeling that Kylo's fall will take one trilogy and his redemption and atonement will take another trilogy. He needs to learn how to become a benevolent ruler. He is going to focus on wiping out the Rebels and expanding his power throughout the galaxy. Some of the things he will do will be good- he will start cracking down on spice traffickers, smugglers, pirates, and warlords. However, I can seem him also be oppressive towards other people.

2. How will Kylo deal with Luke's force ghost haunting him?
    Oh man I'm really looking forward to this. I bet its going to be like Zuko and Uncle Iroh. I think it would have been nicer if the movie ended with Force Ghost Luke talking to Kylo Ren.

3. How will Rey and Kylo deal with their connection?
    Kylo and Rey's strange bond will probably have strategic implications. If Kylo expands his power so that he can see Rey's surrounding, he could use their connection to spy on her. They could do this by allowing him to see her surroundings or maybe having them switch bodies. This would probably lead to Rey having to leave the rebels for their own protection. This would probably be really difficult for Rey. If they go forward with this, Kylo could travel the galaxy and see the impact the imperials are having on the common people through her eyes. Forcing Kylo to see his impact on the common people would be very interesting. The same with the reverse. Rey could continue to spy and influence Kylo. If they switched bodies, it would be interesting to see how Rey would rule inside of Kylo's body. I got this idea after watching your name.

One thing that interest me is the First Jedi Seal of the first Jedi. It looks like both one and two individuals at the same time. Maybe Kylo Ren and Rey are merging into one? If they are, how would they deal with that?
    https://i.redditmedia.com/lXR2TKEGu...jpg?w=1024&s=6f9515e5b3d2c91add08c503f4e154b2

While I like Rey and Kylo's chemistry, i know it won't be a healthy relationship. Kylo seems like he has an Fearful-avoidant attachment while Rey has a Ancious-preoccupied. I think Kylo does care about Rey- but after she rightfully rejected him- he is going to really be pushing her away and being hurtful. This will really sting Rey who will already feel alone- but much more after seeing Finn pair up with Rose and Poe with Kaydel Ko Connix. I can see Kylo and Rey having a conversation similar to one in the clip below.

Alternatively, maybe Rey will just block Kylo out- but it would feel like a missed opportunity.

4. Who will Poe propose to?
    In one of the new star wars books, Pablo tells us that Poe keeps a wedding ring on hand for some lucky individual. I think Poe will propose to Kaydel Ko Connix because she kept following Poe's command during the mutiny. She obviously has a strong loyalty to him and Poe trust her.

5. Will Kylo's soul be saved?
    I think so, and I think it will be Force Ghost Luke who saves him- not Rey. However, I am still unsure if Luke really plans on saving Kylo. At the end of the Jedi, Luke shows us that he thinks Kylo can be saved when he says "No one is ever really gone" to Leia- but when Kylo asks Luke if he is there to save his soul- Luke responds "No". So which is it? Was he just taunting Kylo with the later?

6. Where are the Knights of Ren?
    I think Kylo is going to collect students to replace his former Knights of Ren. Since they were not in TFA or TLJ, I would assume that they are dead.

7. Who will Rey's new students be?
    While Finn an Poe are interesting characters, because of their background, they are becoming pointless plot-wise. A storm trooper and pilot are nothing compared to a Jedi. Adding in Students for Rey could create more interesting plot lines and would allow them to introduce more minority characters as major characters. Making Finn force sensitive

8. Will Rey make her own Lightsaber?
    I hope so

9. Will Hayden return as Anakins force ghost?
    I really really hope so.

10. Will we see the Knights of Ren
    I really really hope so.

11. Will see more of Kylo's past?
    After reading bloodline, I want to know even more. I especially want to know how finding out that he is the grandson of Vader affected him.

12. Acolytes of the Beyond.
    I really want to see more of these guys.

13. How will the Sky-walker lineage continue?
    I think that Rey and Kylo will not end up together- but I can see Rey and Kylo conceiving of a kid in some abstract force bond way instead of the traditional way. It would rhyme with the virgin birth in Episode 1.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  14. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Yeah JJ really has a lot of loose ends to tie up and wrap this thing nicely. I would have rather have him in for TLJ where he can treat his characters and Luke the way he wanted, but maybe he's happy with how Rian handled it. A lot of speculation for the next few years.

15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    -Offscreen death of Leia - -Death of the Skywalker line - end of the road for them
    -Rebuilding of the resistance fleet happens between films
    -Poe emerges as the military leader of the resistance; Poe and Kylo struggle with leadership of their respective military forces
    -destruction of the Falcon, survival of Chewie
    -Rey confronts Rylo a second time
    -Kylo sacrifices himself to end the threat of the First Order
    -Finn saves Rey from dying
    Chewie, Finn, Poe, Rey and all droids make it to the trilogy finish line.

16. EzraSnoke

EzraSnoke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2017
    Pretend you are the writer for IX, that you hated what Johnson did, and that you want to "un-do" or fix things. How would YOU do it?

If I was JJ, and kind of angry with RJ for going all cowboy, and wanted to one-up him, deliberately being demented, and not actually trying to make things right again with Lucas' vision, I might write IX as such....

- Before Kylo killed Snoke, Snoke knew he was always going to do that because he mind-raped him and knew Kylo wanted Rey, get rid of Snoke, and rule the galaxy as Vader wanted. Nothing Kylo thought could be kept away from Snoke. Even in the moment of the murder, if you remember in TLJ, Snoke closed his eyes in anticipation as Kylo approached Rey to kill her. So I would make it that Snoke Force Birthed himself into Rey moments before Kylo struck Snoke down. Snoke now possesses Rey's body.

- Indeed, who Snoke is is still a mystery. Because the body Snoke was using was just some weak old vessel that was past its used-by date, and could've very well be just one body out of many he has Force Possessed over the years.

- I would make all this the big reveal near the end of the movie. But for much of IX we see Rey slowly turning to the Dark Side and allowing herself to be courted by Kylo. No one knowing that she's really "Snoke". She betrays the Resistance in subtle ways, managing to make other characters take the fall for being the spy or traitor. She kills someone like say Finn, in a lonely hallway or room, when he starts suspecting Rey is a traitor. Slowly the film starts to unravel going all dark like this, with the jaws dropping in the cinema.

- Finally, the Reistance is snuffed out, thanks to Rey and Kylo Force Skyping plans and ideas, as well as Kylo on the battle field displaying truly great powers. With the First Order in complete control of the galaxy, the Resistance gone, Poe captured and executed, etc. There's a scene where Rey and Kylo are alone together, hugging. She stands back, takes off her robe, and with a smile tells him to come. We see a G-rated love-making sequence, just the faces. In that sequence her voice starts to warp and change so that Snoke's voice intermingles with her own. Some of the moans and groans sound like Snoke, and then back again to sounding like Rey. Snoke's voice might even say, "Good. Goooood" as the love-making reaches a conclusion. Kylo suddenly hears it clear now, and pulls back in shock. Rey sits up, and starts maniacally laughing fully now in Snoke's voice. Telling him finally it is done, she feels she has been successfully impregnated, with the seed of the Skywalker bloodline, and will be stronger than ever. The final shot if a shot of Kylo's face, the camera slowly zooming in, his eyes just in total shock, horror, grossed out, thoughts racing thru his mind.

Roll credits on that cliff hanger.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

I actually dig that, besides the last paragraph, because I don't see Disney doing any of this. But I was praying Rey would go dark come Episode 8. Have it be a total twist that no one saw coming. It would be cool if that were the case if Rey was being controlled, but I doubt Disney is that creative to have their unbeatable character fall like that.

kalzeth and EzraSnoke like this.
  18. EzraSnoke

EzraSnoke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2017

True about the last paragraph. A more serious story could be still done with that basic concept that Snoke took over Rey's body. In TLJ it's certainly there if you look for it....that Snoke closed his eyes at that scene, waiting, and that he stated he mind-raped Kylo and knows his every move. So the writer for IX can certainly make that happen. But instead of the love-making, it could still be a block-buster reveal where Kylo and Rey are talking near the back-half of the movie, and her voice starts warping to Snoke's and there's that zooming in shot of Kylo's horrified face. No need for a spoken reveal. That could happen 3/4 of the way thru IX, and then you gotta find a good idea of how to then explore that further for the last 1/4 of the film, what it could mean, where the story goes. In that last 1/4 you can certainly then still write an exposition of who Snoke is still. Not a nobody. But a force beyond even the understanding of the old Sith and Jedis.

Jamtia likes this.
  19. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015

Honestly... after that Rose pontification about saving what you love... I pretty much expect her to turn him at the end of 9, and have them go off and make babies. :confused:

thehighground likes this.
  20. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Did Kylo break what was assumed to be a force transfer device keeping Snoke alive?
    What if it contains Snoke itself that shell we've assumed is him is just his latest host and once Kylo makes the mistake of using that to empower himself...

Is that possible given how badly they mangled the story so far?

21. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Snoke should return in a flashback or two in IX. I am also hoping to see more of what happened to the Academy via flashback. Ben murdering students with his blue blade and convincing the soon to be Knights of Ren to join him. I did like how Rian used true flashbacks instead of force based ones like TFA did. JJ should use regular ones as well.

kalzeth likes this.
  22. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Off screen, of course. [face_blush]

23. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    After declaring himself Emperor, an increasingly capricious Kylo Ren will surround himself with a cabal formed of his mysterious Knights. A schism between the military and the dark 'round table' will develop, fomenting a disastrous coup, led by Hux, which will result in heavy losses at the Imperial Capital Planet, weakening the empire's war machinery and rekindling a sense that the Imperial war machine may, after all, be vulnerable.

The few remaining rebels - pursued by mercenaries on the imperial payroll - have dispersed throughout the galaxy in attempt to drum up support. With the help of a motley crew of unlikely allies - and double agents - a message of hope starts to catch fire amongst the galaxy's dispossessed.

Meanwhile, Rey returns to the anonymity of Jakku to develop her abilities, where an unlikely ally will help hatch a plan to bring down the Emperor once and for all...

24. propeller

Dec 4, 2014
    Sorry, duplicate post.

25. propeller

Dec 4, 2014
    sorry, duplicate post.