main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V The Last Jedi - Visual Dictionary by Pablo Hidalgo (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Dec 13, 2017.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    [​IMG]

"Star Wars: The Last Jedi™: The Visual Dictionary is the definitive guide to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, revealing the characters, creatures, droids, locations, and technology from the new film. Packed with 100+ images and information as penned by Star Wars™ scribe Pablo Hidalgo, it's a must-have for all fans who want to go beyond the movie experience."

There wasn't a thread for this, so I've decided to open one in advance of it's release on Friday, 12/15. As a reminder, please tag all spoilers from The Last Jedi as a courtesy to your fellow posters for the first week following this release. Spoiler tags are no longer required as of Friday, 12/22.

Pablo Hidalgo is a master of Star Wars lore making, this guide promises to be as exciting and detail filled as the prior guides for The Force Awakens and Rogue One!

--Adm. Nick

2. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I've been digesting the Visual Dictionary, fans of background, history, and those looking for more context on the state of the Galaxy will enjoy this book. It should come as no surprise that Pablo Hidalgo continues to show why he is a literal encyclopedia of knowledge... this book provides so much awesome information!
    • Want details on the Resistance fleet and it's various leaders, personnel, and such? This book has it!
    • Curious about the small little costume details and background on Rey, Finn, Poe, and our heroes? Look no further.
    • The guide gives us a snap shot of the state of the Galaxy. It provides some great context that makes viewings of TLJ more in depth.
    • The scope and scale of the First Order's power is on display.
    • New characters like Paige & Rose Tico, VADM Holdo, DJ, and others all get ample page time and great background information.
    As always, don't ignore the little "Data File" blurbs at the bottom of each page. There is cool little bits of info. We learn why Snap, Jessa, and certain other Resistance pilots aren't in TLJ. We learn that Hux fashions himself a "grand marshal", that at least 30 FO Star Destroyers are hunting for the Resistance fleet, and the names of unseen Resistance vice admirals on the other ships. ;)
    --Adm. Nick

3. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Ooh, I skimmed through the book at B&N yesterday, but must have missed this. I was hoping they were among the allies in the outer rim, and really hoping they didn't
    die offscreen in one of the transports.
    Any way you could post/summarize that page?

4. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The quote is as follows:

"Most of the surviving Resistance pilots who joined Poe in the fight against Starkiller have since scattered to other evacuation points, or been assigned to other missions."

Basically, it is a very clever way of keeping the door open for them (or folks like Statura, who doesn't appear anywhere) to come back for IX.

--Adm. Nick

5. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    That’s cool, I hope we get to see more of Jess and Snap in the future. Maybe we’ll see their missions in the Poe comic series eh.

Anyways looking forward to checking this out.

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I like that we get a blurb on Snoke's slippers.

Slater, kalzeth, beetzello and 5 others like this.
  7. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

True, and considering the absence of Home One and Echo of Hope, unless they've already been lost off-screen to the First Order, it's likely Statura, Kalonia and others left ahead of the Raddus for a new base.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  8. ToilesHeroiques

ToilesHeroiques Jedi Master

Apr 28, 2010
    We have the 'Luke's route to Ahch-To' on the map, but...

How can R2-D2 know Luke Skywalker's route to Ahch-To and draw it on the map (= yellow line on the map in TFA) ?

Maybe it's the road of an ancient Jedi pilgrimage that Luke follows with the compass?

BobaMatt likes this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Or Luke just told R2?

10. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    What is interesting to me in this book this time around is a lot of evidence to pretty big changes to the film late-ish in development. The opening conversation between Hux and Poe is presented differently here. And then there is visual (and written) evidence of a lot of cut material from the island and Canto Bight. And I haven't even finished the book yet.

I will say, though, that it is light on aliens (really my main interest in books like these). Many of the Canto Bight characters we see aren't in the book (and then the book has several that didn't make it into the film).

kalzeth and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  11. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    R2 did not know the route to Achto. Lor San Tekka had the route. In all likelihood, Luke got the route from San Tekka.

BobaMatt likes this.
  12. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Is there any mention of Lando in this? My theory is that Lando is one of Leia's allies in the Outer Rim and he'll show up to help in EP 9. I don't normally bother with theories but I'm curious if there is any evidence that points to that happening yet this far out from 9 here.

13. PongKrell

PongKrell Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2016
    I'm not sure what it's meant to represent. If it started at D'Qar, I could see it as 'Luke's journey after abandoning Kylo, speaking with Leia and Han on D'Qar and leaving R2 with them'. But it starts near Kashyyyk.

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Ordered this and expecting Friday from Amazon.

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'm bummed the boards have been acting up, as I feel this thread would normally have ALOT more posts in it by now. Anyways, it really is loaded with cool backstories, canon, and interesting facts. The pages with the Resistance fleet, leadership, fighters, and bombers are obviously my favorite, but the whole damn thing is really good.

One thing I like is how the MG-100 Starfortress bombers were actually built at the end of the GCW, only to be retired and found commonly used in civilian purposes. These big bombers end up being fire ships, used for mining, and other cool purposes.

--Adm. Nick

kalzeth and MercenaryAce like this.
  16. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Does the book identify Phasma's weapon? I gather the book doesn't go too far into spoilery scenes but it's in the trailers.

17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Quicksilver quarterstaff, or something like that. Can't remember off the top of my head; I flipped through the book but haven't bought it yet.

18. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Reading the entries of Resistance officers (esp. Tallie) is rough knowing that they pretty much all die by the end.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I like the nod to FFG they give with Han's dice. However, given Wookiepedians are seemingly incapable of understanding FFG's work as it relates to canon, this is only going to make that conversation worse in the future. :p

CooperTFN and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I just can't take seriously a group of royal guards who are dressed in red flowerpots.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Lobsters. Twizzlers. Now flowerpots.

Snoke sure knows how to make sure nobody takes him seriously.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

MercenaryAce and Senpezeco like this.
  22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Like those red cups at every party in every American coming of age movie.

23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Now a red solo cup is the best receptacle
    For barbecues, tailgates, fairs and festivals...

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

mnjedi likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

True. But IMO their weapons make up for it.

25. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001

Joking aside, they provided one of the best fights in the series.