main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will fan backlash affect development of IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you think the fan backlash of TLJ will make J.J consider changing some things such as Rey's parents and the fate of Luke?

2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    nope, they invest everything only in the new characters, so nothing from fanside will change it. It will only affect in long term with merch, toy and novel sales, but that's too late for the movies.

Tiberius.Ogden and dekaneas like this.
  3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Nope.

Disney is making exactly the kind of ST they wanted to make. All about creating a trilogy in their own image, moving on from George's story.

And the public and critics are showering them with praise and goobs of cash to do it.

Diehards are the hold outs. As we often are. And yet we're the ones who matter least. Diehards never drive box office.

I think Disney-Lucasfilm is getting exactly the kind of reaction to TLJ that they expected, and wanted.

4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Not basic things but I hope that they will review the final cut and eliminate nonsense, plot holes and dumb unrealistic things.

5. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    No, nothing will change. JJ Abrams just pitched his story, and I doubt the CEO of Disney cares what the story is. TLJ is doing what Disney wants: $$$$. They don't care about anything else.

But I do think the trailers will reveal more about the plot this time around and give us more of a feel for the story to attract fans back in.

6. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    I hope not. The people on these and other Star Wars forums consistently demand the absolute worst possible story lines.

7. TheLazySword

TheLazySword Jedi Knight

Nov 17, 2015
  8. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    I mean, imagine letting fan pitch their ideas to LFL story group 5 years ago.
    One fan, a man in his 30's, explains to the group that:
    - Luke should be a loner on an island and wants the jedi to end.
    - Leia will float in space, after and an explotion of the main bridge, and pull herself back to the ship.
    - Luke will project himself, Matrix-style, on a distant planet which will piss off his nephew who is a dark side user. After that he will die.

Pitch that idea to 100 people on this forum and they would call that person insane.

9. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    That depends on whether Iger spends time online and cares about the opinions of forum dwellers. Which is highly doubtful. ;)

dekaneas and jaqen like this.
  10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Fan backlash had an effect after TPM, GL cut down Jar Jar Binks role to a cameo in AOTC and virtually nothing in ROTS. But this is a different era and LFL is more than just KK, there is a story group, you also have Disney but I doubt they'll be too bothered as long as they're raking in the money.

The OT fans now have Rogue One, Solo and the Obi-Wan movie.

dekaneas and LloydChristmas like this.
  11. HispAnakin

HispAnakin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 16, 2017
    excatly imagine trying to push that garbage above on these forums and how quickly you'd be laughed off of the internet.

I think about better stories while dropping a deuce smoking a joint every night

12. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

no. Nothing can retcon luke. I don't see why anyone cares about rey's parents at this point. Even if they pull a "omg these are really who her parents are!!!!", who cares?

LOL, I saw some of those leaks and laughed thinking it was another internet troll. Then reports started rolling in........

I then realized a terrible truth. The story group doesn't have any ideas or vision. One plot line was that the rebels were running out of fuel as they ran away............... There's also a reason star wars never had a way to track ships through hyperspace and thats because it renders all guerilla warfare, impossible. So.....nice job RJ. They'll have to make up some "blocker" installed on all ships in order to retcon that stupid fan fiction nonsense out.

13. DarthIommi

DarthIommi Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2017
    No, I don't think it will. There are plenty of us 'diehards' that are ready to move forward, and who enjoyed the story. It is what it is. All three of my kids love the new Sequel Trilogy, and that's what Disney is looking at, moving forward with new stories for a new generation.

14. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I don't see that happening. The reason they brought JJ back, IMO, is because there is no way a crap writer/director like Trevorrow could provide a satisfactory conclusion to this trilogy. Now, there is definitely mess to clean up, but in many cases it's more of a blank slate to finish it off. As far as some established cues for 9, I fully expect to see Luke's other fallen pupils (KoR?) with Kylo leading them, integrated into the First Order. We're definitely going to see Ghost Luke...might we see Ghost Obi Wan or even Anakin. With the expansion of force abilities, I see no reason why Rey should not be able to commune with all of them. I think we'll see Rey as essentially the Mother of the new Jedi Order. But the rest is completely up in the air, which I am extremely excited about.

Tho Yor and dekaneas like this.
  15. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    One thing I noticed is that everyone is asking for answers to the Rey who and Snoke questions. I hope they listen to that. Those must be answered in IX. Not books, comics or video games.

Darth Master Titus likes this.
  16. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I think trev saw what RJ was doing and was like "wtf is this shyte?!?!" "What am i supposed to do with this?!"

17. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    Disney should consult with a fan panel in their development of episode 9 to avoid any additional huge misses such as the anti climactic and confusing death of Luke Skywalker the entire sagas biggest character...

18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Not sure if i should take this post serious or not.

19. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

No. On the whole the fans fixate on minutiae, lore and are easily blinded by head canon. Despite an ill-deserved belief to the contrary, a sizeable chunk of the fans have no actual idea of how to tell a story. They are the last people the storytellers involved should be listening to. What you're also forgetting is that most of the storytellers ARE fans themselves. Only they do know - to a varying degree of success - how to tell stories.

20. Paro

Paro Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    Nope. This movies are not aimmed to the die hard fans. It´s motly aimed to a new and massified audience.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    No.

22. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I think fan reactions will influence Episode 9 for sure, just as they influenced episodes 7 and 8.
    After the prequels, Lucasfilm heard loud and clear that many fans wanted a return to something that felt more like the OT, so that's the direction they went in TFA, and it was heavily marketed to emphasize that.
    After TFA, Lucasfilm heard fans complaining that it felt TOO similar, so they tried something more experimental with TLJ, and again, they heavily emphasized the "new and fresh" approach in their marketing.
    So I'd be surprised if now, all of a sudden, Disney/Lucasfilm just decides to ignore fan reactions when making episode 9.

Having said that, I don't think they're going to go to the extreme of pretending Luke didn't die, but I do think they'll adjust the tone and other aspects of the film to try to address some of the bigger complaints that they hear about TLJ.

As for Rey's parents, I'm personally 100% fine with Rey Random. But I'll admit that there's definitely still some wiggle room, so I it's not completely out of the question that they could change this. But then what's the message of this trilogy? "Hey kids, ANYBODY can be a hero! JUST KIDDING!!! Only 'chosen ones' can be heroes!"

Jacques who likes this.
  23. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005

Coming soon, Return of the Jedi, the Special-er edition. VADER LIVES!

lookameatbag, Senator Wan and jaqen like this.
  24. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    Nope, our voices will go 100% unheard and uncared for. We're helpless here, nothing we say or do will make any difference to them whatsoever. We are powerless. The Last Jedi made that pretty clear, don't you think? They don't care about us. Our wants and needs don't matter. The only language they speak is $$$$

25. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Not at all. Disney is a business, and that business is all about revenue; as people continue to talk about the film, people spend money; doesn't have to be us, you or I but those 8 - 13 year olds that love Finn, Poe, Rey, Rose, and Kylo Ren. I'm sorry that expectations and persnal headcanons were exploded with the film but I think what they are doing is right, they are interwining the new generation with the older generation. These characters especially Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren have fanbases and those fans are the ones Star Wars is for, not us. I love the Last Jedi, and the direction the franchise is taking with it. I will continue to support them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.