main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poe Dameron & Rey and their dynamic moving forward in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    At the end of the Last Jedi we see a interesting development between our new heroes; Finn is caring for Rose, Rey is wondering where she belongs and Poe reintroduces himself to Rey; she's the hope, he's the defacto rising new leader of the Resistance is there more to there relationship moving forward?

Jo Lucas, dekaneas, panki and 3 others like this.
  2. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I think so ,I have to wonder if they're also setting something up with a mirror between Ben and Poe and also if they're maybe hinting at a possible love Triangle for the last movie?

Humor me here. So Leia has the beacon that she tells Finn is lighting the way home for Rey. The two share it and as long as that is lit Rey knows that there's a place to come back to. When Leia get's knocked out, Finn finds it and it's clear that he intends to be this for Rey, but then he winds up meeting Rose and that plan changes and he give it to Poe. Now this is rather important since in TFA Finn didn't want anyone protecting her save for himself, and this shows that he trusts Poe with Rey in regard to bringing her back and keeping a place for her to come back to.

Then we have the moment when Poe get's stunned and woken up when Rey is being tortured by Snoke. Unlike when Finn woke up with the blast, the framing seems to indicate that Poe felt something and rushed to the window and assumed it was the ship being wrecked but the implications with the scene and the way they are shot, at least to me, indicates that the director wanted us to think that there's a connection going on there. As previously Luke connected to Leia to wake her up, and before that, we had the two of them connect when we didn't know they were siblings. Also force connections aren't artificially forced they are made naturally and we've already seen distance doesn't seem to matter all that much. Throw in the moment they meet, and Han's I know and there's some clues there that Rey maybe seeing things in Poe that she was looking for in Ben.

Add to that the ring that Poe suddenly is wearing, and the fact that Leia is treating him as a son and he's treating her as a mom, there could be some clues there that Leia may point Rey out to Poe. Also the two are going to have to work together now more closely as Finn's preoccupied with Rose. I have to wonder if the reason we did get the meeting finally was so that that relationship can start up.

ss640, panki, Jazz9276 and 3 others like this.
  3. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Thanks for starting this thread. I'm really interested in their dynamic going forward.

Poe may have a tiny bit of latent force sensitivity or something he accumulated while taking care of the force tree at his home growing up. Nothing jedi-wise but that scene with him waking up while Rey was being tortured was definitely intentional and interesting.

Claire1976, Miotas, Jazz9276 and 3 others like this.
  4. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    I created the thread because something in there 30 second interaction made me immediately think of Han Solo & Leia Organa ~ when we see them regrouping we notice Finn caring for Rose and Rey glances over to Finn, but in that moment Poe approaches her to reintroduce himself and they seem to connect instantly. If we remember Leia winked at Han Solo in the Throne Room at the end of A New Hope, setting off the romance of the OT; now I'm not implying we will see any of that, but if there is a 2-3 year time jump one may be established already for us. Just something to think about but I don't want this to because the Bacholarette in space if you know what I mean in IX; Rey and Poe will have there hands full.

dekaneas, Miotas, panki and 3 others like this.
  5. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    That's an interesting way of looking at it. My overall feeling too about Rey in those final moments is she's looking around and seeing this reminder of what real love and care looks like among family and friends, and knowing this is where she belongs. It would be a stark relief to come home to this after everything she'd been through in the film. And the timing sure is interesting where she shuts the door on Kylo and severs their bridge, and then here's this lovely, handsome man greeting her. I mean the future sure looks brighter. [face_laugh]

On another note, I would loooove to see Rey finally get to do some ace piloting again in 9. And I think we're due for seeing the two best pilots of the ST being wing-mates.

civilsecret, wobbits, panki and 4 others like this.
  6. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I totally ship them.

But seriously though, I want them to get a lot of screen time together in IX, because Rey and Finn have had an entire movie together to bond, so it’s about time her and Poe get to develop a relationship, be it romantic or otherwise.

7. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Totally, agree with that. Not only does she shut the door on Ben, but the change in lighting is interesting.

When she's with Ben, it's all dark. When Rey is on the ship the place is bathed in light, and it's interesting that when she's with BB 8 she is in shadow, and when she stands to meet Poe, she's in the light.

Also you have the whole Beacon being Grey's life and Poe is wearing that when Finn hand it over. His knowing she was coming and seeming to sense her behind him after the whole snoke thing and him waking up with that.

That's another thing. Poe reacted and woke up when Rey was being hurt by Snoke. Leia did the same with Luke back in the day for ESB.

8. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    This is interesting with contrasts/lighting etc. and I agree on the symbolism in both instances between Poe and Rey; one thing is the beacon and how it continued to change hands, Rey always keep hers, but the beacon started with Finn and went to Poe and during this time he had it all the way until Crait when Leia regained it I believe, and we see when they get on the Falcon how that shows the choices the characters make. Finn started his arc doing everything for Rey, but Rose changed that and his arc so much so that be is comforting Rose at the end of the film not Rey (while Rey glanced at Finn) on the other hand Rey had no one and then there Poe is once again.

9. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Yeah, I think that's important. When you see the hand off it goes from Leia, who is like mom, to Finn who was her best friend and saved her, to Poe who saved Finn and was searching for Luke too. So it's a connected ring around her.

Also, something that's cool is the fact that Poe rightly assumed she was leading away the ties.

And your right, just as she's wondering if she's lost Finn, Poe comes over to say hi. And there is the BB 8 connection.

panki and Ben-Solo like this.
  10. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    It seems every time Rey needed something or the symbolism was needed to there was a cut scene between Rey ~ Leia ~ Poe or Rey ~ Poe. I think this is something when the actual script and novelization comes out will be more easily addressed but the signals were being sent throughout the film. Chewbacca and Rey showing up to bail the Resistance out on Crait reminded me of Han bailing Luke out in the Death Star trench.

11. filmgeek32

filmgeek32 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 18, 2016
    rey knows she hasn't lost finn by the way he hugged her

Ridley Solo likes this.
  12. MichaelSkellig

MichaelSkellig Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2017
    They've reached the third movie without two of the main characters having interacted, and there wasn't any chance of it before this moment. With Carrie's passing, Poe is going to have to become the leader of the Resistance, so they needed to get these two to show a friendly awareness of each other, before IX. I wonder if this scene was shot after Carrie's death, as LFL realised they'd have to do some re-engineering?

Yora and ReyKenobi like this.
  13. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    When I say lost him, I mean she now sees he has another person whom he cares for too. They clearly care deeply for one another. But Finn's attention has shifted to rose.

panki and Ben-Solo like this.
  14. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    It might have been. But I have to wonder if Rian took it out of TAG to show a contrast between Poe meeting Rey and Ben's actions.

Also someone pointed out that Poe and Rey outfits seem to mirror was others during the film.

15. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    Exactly. Moving forward Finn and Rose is definitely something to watch and consider especially the way they bonded throughout the film and their subplot continued. I think the whole Poe and Rey introduction was used to introduce the characters, introduce there relationship and show the audience the new hierarchy of the Resistance.

16. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Just let Poe be gay. He's hot for Finn, its great.

Paparazzo likes this.
  17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Their little moment at the end was packed with chemistry.

So, I'm game.

11-4D, panki, Ben-Solo and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    Me too, and I think that moment was intentionally put in to show it and the Resistance high command together.

19. ReyKenobi

ReyKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Dec 29, 2015
    Am I the only one who got the sense that Poe is really into both men and milfs? ;)

No, but I'm not sure I can really see a romance between these two. I feel like it's a bit late to be developing something between the two of them, since they only just met at the end of the second film in the trilogy, and their interaction was so brief. If they had started this sooner, than I feel like it could have been a possibility since it's a pretty safe move to make and I don't think audiences would be angry. But as they are now, the next film would have to focus ENTIRELY on their dynamic for me to believe they have any type of romantic relationship. Even then, it'd be sort of a weird choice in my eyes. They could have had the potential to be a romantic couple, but I think they would have started that sooner if they were going for that.

20. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    Anything is possible and we have two years of new canon to help explain a deeper relationship between the two of them Rey/Poe; furthermore anything is possible (did you watch the Last Jedi?) if the characters take steps in IX in the manner of a budding relationship, whatever the context that automatically could be continue in any medium even X-XII if it comes to that; as of now though I see a flirtatous discourse being developed especially because of the roles both the characters will elevated into in Episode IX.

panki likes this.
  21. Gambit00

Gambit00 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 30, 2014
    It's about time they met. I see them having a fun dynamic. Don't know if it will go romantic or not but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Remember Han and Leia's feelings for each other developed between ANH and ESB and there will probably be 1-2 year time jump between VIII and IX.

According to Pablo Hidalgo the other day, the scene in the TFA novel where they had a met and had the hug, acted shy etc. was actually filmed for the TFA. And I've seen a few people mention that Rian Johnson requested that be cut and have them meet in his film. Don't know if that's true or not but several people have mentioned elsewhere. Can anyone confirm that? And if it is true, then for what purpose?

Ben-Solo likes this.
  22. ReyKenobi

ReyKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Dec 29, 2015
    I don't really feel like it's necessary for you to doubt the fact that I've even seen the movie. This thread is for people to discuss their thoughts on the possible future of Rey/Poe, and I did so. I also even said that I don't hate the idea, but I don't feel like there's been enough to go off of. Sure, anything is possible. But from the interaction I saw between these two in 2/3 movies, it seems unlikely. And if they do go down the romantic route, then I think there would need to be a significant amount of time in the next film dedicated to them, and I'm not sure they'll do that. Maybe they will, but I didn't personally see that as a focus of the series. I feel like that's a pretty fair assessment that other people can at least understand my reasoning for. And if you weren't saying that in an intentionally rude way, then I apologize and hope you can see where I'm coming from.

I also feel like if they have a romantic relationship that starts in the movies, then it's important for the majority of that relationship to be developed in the movies. Most audiences won't be reading the books or watching the shows, so they'd need a bit more context. I understand where you're coming from, but I personally would need more than just 30 seconds of two characters being on-screen together for me to think they're romantic.

One Quarter Portion likes this.
  23. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    As much as I will forever ship Finn and Poe. I thought it was very interesting the way he introduced himself to her. There seemed to be more there, the question is what. But it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

panki, Jazz9276 and Ben-Solo like this.
  24. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    I thought their obvious introduction was a fan service more than anything. It was one of two lines that took me out of the movie. It felt like it was set up to answer the criticism of "Do Rey and Poe even know each other after TFA? Have they met??" We can for certain say that they have met now!

I do feel a certain love triangle coming on. Not sure if Poe will be involved, though, but something must be said of the Rey-Finn-Rose thing going on.

25. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Yes, it was also in the TFA novelization. I believe it was held off for the ending of this movie, because it appeared to be setting up a mutual attraction and it wouldn't have been right timing-wise at the end of TFA since they don't spend time together in TLJ. However, I imagine they will be spending time together in IX and the interim between VIII and IX.