main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, someone has to say it: I think I'm done.

And so probably is this thread.

Time to switch the lights out.

2. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  3. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Really? Cause this was a good thought I read on another forum.

I think his line specifically wasn't about being a force ghost, it was that from now on you'll always be followed by the specter of not being able to beat Luke Skywalker, and you'll never get a chance to make it up. Kylo is trying to strongarm his way into becoming supreme commander, and a bunch of his dudes all just saw him get made a ****ing fool of. THAT'S what will always follow him, hey look, it's Kylo Ren, the guy who couldn't beat Luke Skywalker. Which of course, is exactly the story that the kids are telling in the last scene, Skywalker's legendary last stand.

Revanfan1 and bmickey like this.
  4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Never mind (not sure I can discuss 8 in here).

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And then along came Kylo
    Who sat down besides them
    And beheaded them, every one.

Vialco likes this.
  6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Everyone knew Sauron was defeated by Elendil, Sam even overhears orcs talking about the last Great Siege LOTR. Sauron still has his army.

Voldemort still had his Death Eater followers even after they all knew he was defeated by a baby. Voldemort killed or crucio'd to permanent insanity any who spoke against him.

The Joker is the very definition of a terrible boss, who tortures even those who do what he says (like Harley Quinn). Everyone knows he has been defeated by Batman multiple times. He is so crazy that he burns the money he steals (Dark Knight), making it unclear how he even pays his henchmen. And yet he still has armies of henchmen to use against Batman.

The galaxy used the story of the Emperor being disfigured by those awful Jedi as all the more reason to rally to his support.

The point is, if the writer wants a villain to have an army, then they will have an army regardless of how the villain has been publicly defeated by the heroes.

Vialco likes this.
  7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The lights will never go out.

"The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins—but in the heart of its strength lies weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back."

Revanfan1 and DigitalMessiah like this.
  8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yes, but one particular redheaded general may now be more inclined to lean toward rebelling and making his own power play.

9. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I seriously doubt it. If Hux had the stones to make a move, he would've done it when Kylo was unconscious and helpless before him. If he couldn't find the mivocks to do it then, he never will.

10. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Hux certainly thought about it, he reaches for his blaster ever so slightly, and then the opportunity passes when Kyle wakes up.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Yeah, I feel this thread is now quite pointless since there is no longer a Luke Skywalker to save. Or any Skywalker, for that matter. Carrie is dead and Kylo is a lost cause.

Jedi Ben and JamesSkywalker like this.
  12. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    To remember the Luke Skywalker we all know and love, the Luke who would never give up, who would never leave his friends, who was the hero who has inspired me in my life. The Luke of ANH, ESB, ROTJ, and the EU up to the end of the NJO -- he is my hero. This film I saw today broke me. Whatever Disney/new-LFL has made is their own interpretation of this character, a horribly disfigured one at that, in my opinion. I won't go into spoilers. But I felt I wanted to post this quote to remember Luke Skywalker, the real article. The one who would never hide away from the galaxy at a time of need.
    We will always have this Luke to look to, in the original films, in the comics, in the books. The Luke with the big heart and wise mind. His mother's son. And that's the hero I will carry with me, no matter what this, or any, new movie says to try to change him into a whole 'nother person or whatever.

13. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Beautifully said! My Luke Skywalker is the great hero from Legends. The man who redeemed Darth Vader and went on to rebuild the Jedi Order from scratch into a mighty organization that rivalled the Old Order.

A man who stood against the Reborn Emperor and defeated him. The vanquisher of Exar Kun, Kueller, Lumiya, Darth Caedus, and even the almighty Abeloth. Legends Luke never lost hope, even when his trusted nephew murdered his wife. Legends Luke suffered numerous defeats and betrayals and always came out stronger for it. That's the hero I'll always see Luke Skywalker as.

Axrendale, J_K_DART, Jedi Ben and 3 others like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    About the only benefit I can see to all this is that I finally have the means to convince Child of Winds that Dark Empire and the Legacy comics aren't that bad!

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And we can convince other people not that satisfied with the ST to give the entire EU a try.

16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Why would anyone think the Legacy comics are bad in the first place?!? :eek:

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    COW and Cade never got on. Nor was she a fan of the Krayt and Fel empires.

But, at least Luke had a descendant like Kol.

Vialco likes this.
  18. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Well, I can finally post again on this site lol, been struggling to comment on anything! I've got to say, I... definitely wasn't expecting this group to be upbeat about that film, sadly. Can't say I am, massively, either.

ChildOfWinds and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Nat Skywalker turned out pretty well too. Even Cade wasn't that bad, if the comic would have just stopped wasting so many pages on him.

I have a newfound appreciation for Dark Empire after recent events, still glad I spent money on Dark Horse back when they still had the license. Ah, those were the good old days.

20. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Comparing Luke's actions with those of the Covenant hardly make it better.

spicer likes this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    What is your newfound appreciation of Dark Empire?

22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    For a more "proper" sequel story. Dark Empire has its own issues, and its not a straight comparison either of course. Dark Empire had the big three still as the stars, the sequels are trying for a next generation story, etc., and the Thrawn trilogy is still one of my favorite post-RotJ stories.

I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but even with Palpatine's return kind of undoing RotJ's ending, DE Palpatine is at the height of his power as dark side monster rather than just "Galactic Emperor", and Luke challenges that... and fails. Its Leia's help that pulls him out and saves him and then together they win. Rushed, but not too much so in my opinion. Of course it was also good to see non-main characters like the Mon Calamari and New Republic (and Lando) fighting valiantly. Luke's vitally important, but there was that big fleet battle going on at Endor too. The sequels have been... neglecting that angle, well, more than I like at least.

sidv88 and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001

It does when you consider

He only had the thought for a moment and pulled his saber on raw instinct. Had Ben been stayed asleep another few moments, the whole thing may well have been averted. In legal terms, the act was not premeditated, nor was it followed through. But, of course, that's not how it went in Ben's mind.

Luke blames himself because, well, he's Luke.

One point I saw in particular on a Youtube review of the TLJ is that Luke, like in a lot of westerns, has to comes to grips with his own legend, one he *thinks* he's undeserving of. Whereas all the characters in the film, from Rey, to Kylo and Snoke, don't feel that way about him at all.

And of course, his big moment is cementing that legend in the greatest way possible.

24. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Yeesh. Jedi Ben calling it quits. That's getting pretty bad...

J_K_DART and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    SkySolo? Well now, that's a name I haven't seen years! Welcome back.

I was mostly referring to this thread's aims. I'm not stopping talking SW - though it might be a bit reduced. I'm certainly looking to spend little on merchandise.

J_K_DART likes this.