main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Force Ghosts in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kez-Iban, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    In The Last Jedi, we saw that force ghosts are indeed very powerful as Obi-Wan said in ANH, and they can also interfere with the world of the living, despite what was indicated in ESB. Since Yoda can cause lightning strikes and physically hit Luke with his cane, what else could they do? Could they cause trouble for Kylo Ren, and if not, why?
    One really interesting thing from The Art of The Last Jedi is that there was also the idea of adding a Sith ghost. The art shows a dark side ghost watching Luke as he meditates. Here's the quote from page 28, "We've seen dead Jedi come back as blue ghosts. Maybe Sith can come back. And maybe there's some all-powerful mastermind Sith that's controlling whatever the dark side is. We did talk a lot about how the final battle frontier for Jedi might be in the spirit realm. So you have to have a bad guy ghost."

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The thing I really wanted to see in the ST was for Yoda to hold a council of Force-ghosts, it's not a new idea as Native Americans believe the dead hold council as spirits around a fire. You could've had Yoda, Qui-Gonn, Obi-Wan, Anakin and now Luke discuss with Rey what should be done with Kylo. It could be a very powerful scene that the audience is never sure is real or that Rey is imagining, it is the way forward for Force-ghosts and it borrows from real world mysticism.

Sith-ghosts or that should be Dark-Side spirits can't be the same, may be they can be more ethereal and probably scarier. Because of their negativity with the Force they can never effect things like light side spirits can.

3. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    The thing I really wanted to see in the ST was for Yoda to hold a council of Force-ghosts, it's not a new idea as Native Americans believe the dead hold council as spirits around a fire. You could've had Yoda, Qui-Gonn, Obi-Wan, Anakin and now Luke discuss with Rey what should be done with Kylo. It could be a very powerful scene that the audience is never sure is real or that Rey is imagining, it is the way forward for Force-ghosts and it borrows from real world mysticism.

Sith-ghosts or that should be Dark-Side spirits can't be the same, may be they can be more ethereal and probably scarier. Because of their negativity with the Force they can never effect things like light side spirits can.

4. RKR

RKR Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 22, 2013
    Hmm, that's definitely an intriguing idea. And I suppose LN, EM & HC could all reprise their roles :cool:

5. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Here's my wishes for all the force ghosts:
    Luke - Help train Rey and haunts Ben
    Anakin - Has a chat to Ben
    Yoda - Words of wisdom to Rey
    Obi-Wan - Appears out of nowhere and says "Hello there"
    Qui-gon - Appears with all the force ghosts during the ending

whostheBossk, Ralphis, 11-4D and 4 others like this.
  6. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    I don't think anything more needs to be said between Luke and Kylo. They obviously dislike one another, and both have good reasons for it. Let that dynamic die. It would be interesting for Anakin to come back and slap some sense into him, though, even if I think he's a doomed character either way.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    TITLE UPDATE.

8. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    They really need to be careful with this it can get ugly really quick and can destroy the mystique and solemnity of the Force ghost.

I would just be happy to see Luke with Rey and Anakin with Kylo.

Wildcatbarry and yanote like this.
  9. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    How cool it would be to see Rey building her own lightsaber under Luke's supervision!
    (Dreaming mode ON)

11-4D and Darth Smurf like this.
  10. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Rumors of Yoda returning and speaking to Rey already.

11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Rey: Who are you?
    Yoda: I am nobody

12. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    It would be awesome if they could get Alec Guinness's actual ghost to make a cameo. I'm just not sure if ghosts can wear toupees, but hell, I'd accept a bald Alec Guinness ghost, no problem.

SpecForce Trooper and Avnar like this.
  13. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Why would she need supervision? She hasn't needed any sort of training with Luke to get where she is now, why something so mundane as a building a lightsaber? Not to mention that the next film will most likely have a time jump so that means when it starts she'll already have a lightsaber.

Django Fett likes this.
  14. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Alec Guinness didn't wear a toupee, Ewan McGregor confirmed it in the making of ROTS. :p

15. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Force Ghost Avengers or Justice League? But since Jedi don’t avenge, I guess Jedi League?

16. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    As I've posted elsewhere, I don't want to see Luke just show up for a couple of scenes to give Rey a few words of advice. Since we now know he's extremely powerful, I want to see him just about everywhere. He's inspiring the good guys, and scaring the daylights out of the bad guys.

Meanwhile, I'd like to see Kylo/Ben go into full MacBeth mode, always looking over his shoulder, expecting to see Luke there, haunting him. Except the ghost that actually speaks to him is Ani, warning him about the very familiar path he's treading. As in...

KYLO: When I destroy the Resistance, I'll bring peace, freedom, justice-
    ANI:-and security to my new Empire! (chuckles) Trust me, it doesn't work out that way. I know that for a fact, young man.

I suppose Yoda can make an appearance somewhere. But I hope they don't put in Sith ghosts; that'd cause a whole mess of trouble that the saga really doesn't need right now.

17. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    “Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future…the past. Old friends long gone.” Yoda ESB
    "Strike me down and I'll always be with you. Just like your father." Luke TLJ

Through the Force with Luke's assistance, Kylo Ren will encounter his father in IX.

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Gai' Phó

Gai' Phó Jedi Padawan star 1

May 2, 2018
    It's just an idea, but Force ghosts could reverse-age over time. Was I the only one who thought Yoda looked younger in TLJ? It's been thirty years since RotJ, so Obi-Wan could be "restored" to the Ewan McGregor version. Same for any other prequel-era Jedi that appears.

The only loophole is the 2004 edition of RotJ. The Force ghost of Anakin should still be Sebastian Shaw in VI, and Hayden Christensen in IX.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  19. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Luke of course & more than a cameo JJ !

I have no problem with Anakin being a force ghost & maybe have a brief talk with Ben Solo about his dangerous path that can only lead to death ( Hayden to reprise his role )

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  20. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    I hope they are more see-through. It bothered me that Yoda was not very see-through in TLJ. I read that it's due to ghosts not being popular in China. I guess with all the other gripe-able things, not-very-see-through ghosts was not high on the list of complaints

21. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Just like other types of ghosts, it's no stretch to say that Force ghosts can choose their form. Obi-Wan appears to Luke as an old man because that's how Luke knew him and would best relate to him. But if Obi-Wan appears to Rey or Kylo in Episode 9, there's no reason it can't be Force Ghost Ewan.

For example, what if Force Ghost Ewan appears to Rey in a lineage reveal? It would make sense because Obi-Wan would be telling her about a woman he loved a long time ago (i.e. Rey's grandmother). Or maybe Force Ghost Ewan appears to Kylo, admitting his failure with Anakin and pleading with him to see the light. Again, it would make perfect sense for Ewan to appear since he's speaking about his younger days.

Gai' Phó likes this.
  22. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I really want to see Anakin's ghost talk to Kylo. Not Hayden; a Sebastian Shaw-style ghost! Maybe he could come in as Darth Vader only to remove his helmet.

11-4D likes this.
  23. bweurk

bweurk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 11, 2018
    TLJ opened indeed a lot of possibilities for force ghosts... i am not sure it would fit whatever story they have for episode IX but i would love to see force ghost do something this time and not just talk (a bit like the ghosts army in the Return of the King, albeit less violent)... i don't want them to ignite their sabers and kill anybody because it would not be the true jedi way (and it would destroy what Luke was about in ROTJ and in TLJ) but i would not be against a scene where rebels are stuck in somekind of a corridor, and knight of Ren appears from both side, ready to slaughter them, and suddenly, a blue light appear, and force ghosts ( it can be Luke, or Obi Wan, Yoda, Anakin, Qui Gon Jinn, or even Leia) force push the KOR allowing the rebels to escape.

24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I was bothered by this too. But I heard it also explained (from one of the behind the scenes books or something-anyone help me out here?) that Jedi force ghosts become more solid over time or something...I suppose I can accept it. If we have to...:p

25. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Cool concept. I wonder who resembles Sebastian Shaw?