main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forum Upgrade 2017

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Dec 23, 2017.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Posting to see what I look like.

G-FETT likes this.
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Also, why is the quote feature stripping out all nested quotes? I understand that too many nested quotes gets annoying, but not allowing nesting can result in a quote being unintentionally taken out of context. Sometimes the nested quotes are necessary to provide context.

We originally (on XenForo) could get five levels of nesting, but when somebody complained about quote stacks being too tall, it was changed to no nesting, resulting in a discussion here in Comms that settled on three levels of nesting as a happy medium.

Why has it now been changed back to no nesting against that previous discussion? Context is important, and minimal nesting is sometimes critical to achieving that.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    A lot of settings we had previously established need to be re-enabled after the upgrade. I'm sure quote nesting is among them. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Mitth_Fisto, Sith-I-5 and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Thank you, guys! I've been wondering about tapatalk too. It's useful for checking notifications (likes, quotes but most importantly, conversations) without opening the site in a browser. Hopefully you can fix those errors soon. :)

Also, would it be possible to install new smilies or at least add some new SW ones?

5. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Hey guys, great job with the upgrade!

As a few have mentioned Tapatalk is still broken. I'm seeing however different errors now and then. Perhaps you are working on it already?

I find it better to use on the tablet and phone, but I'll give the new responsive version of the forums a go too.

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    jcgoble3 is correct in that it is a max width setting, not a fixed width. Sorry for the confusion. Responsive layouts do different things at different screen widths to accommodate different devices. For example, if you view the main page on a phone in portrait mode, all of the users online and statistics info is moved to the bottom of the page. The layout does these things automatically via the responsive framework and CSS media queries.

Sith-I-5 and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I second this - make it nest for 2-3 levels, please. :)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Tapatalk appears to be fixed. Let me know if you are still having issues.

Nanaki and Evening Star like this.
  9. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Working here now, it initially popped up and said Tapatalk was disabled then it started working.

Grimby likes this.
  10. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Working on my end as well. @Grimby

11. geno

geno Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2007
    Not a huge issue to me maybe more of an annoyance is that appears max width doesn't render at my resolution so got the whole black bars on either side of the actual forum.

Not sure if its even possible to tweak the settings to go higher as I'm sure the folks that use computers to view the forum have resolutions all the way from 800x600 or less to the highest 4K ones.

Otherwise looks good to me and the speed is improved which is good compared to last couple of days before the upgrade for me.

12. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    I'm on mobile right now and this look amazing!

13. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    In the words of Threepio...

Thank the Maker! And posts are loading faster on Tapatalk too!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Tapatalk works like a charm.

As for the black bars issue: the background image needs to be of the largest size possible in order stretch to a certain extent, but when it's covered by a portion of content, that can be tricky to achieve. Not to mention loading issues that could result from making a very large image. It would still load for folks on the mobile version - even when they cannot see it, so it's an issue in terms of data transfer, too.

That said, I'm on 1680x1050 and I am used to zooming to 150%.

15. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Speed has improved, and addressing alerts seems much more stable.

Using my Samsung Galaxy S4 on landscape to look at one of my fics, the space for avatars takes up way too much of the screen width.
    I'm sure a few pixels could be shaved off those bad boys.

Although I eventually found the fics listed, searching for them via their era tags, is bringing up "There are no threads to display" messages.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yes, we're aware of the tag issues. It's on the list. It's not just in Fan Fic.

jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Thank you.@};-

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Just wondered if it would change if I set options, as there's now the option of advanced filtering, but...nah.

A reminder that the prefixes cannot be selected when editing the topic title OR starting a new topic, either. And yeah, us fanficcers have been waiting for multi-tagging for ages, so we miiiight be a bit noisier than the others. [face_blush]

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I know the fanfic mods have been discussing the multi-tagging, but we've got to get the ones we have working first! :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Of course. Just thought I'd add more about this particular error, so you know where it occurs, in case there are different settings for thread indexes and specific threads.

21. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Great job on the move!

Did we lose some BB Codes? I'm not seeing the horizontal line as an option anymore (used to be [ hr ] [ /hr ])

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We've been playing with the tags in other forums. it could be something as simple as an index that needs rebuilding. Grahame/Grimby would know more in that area though.

Not sure on the BB Code - I know there was an issue yesterday.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'll PM Renata directly, as well, but as a general note I do recall there being problems copying Word (which should now be functionally an XML editor going back even a decade or more?) directly into web-editors adding additional data -- so this could be specific (as HTTP500 is a very specific error with bad code normally vs. 503 [gateway], 404 [page not found], or a simple "Page cannot be displayed" [bad networking]).

I'd recommend anyone with this error to try putting it into a plain-text editor first and then pasting into your fics / posts here and see if that works.

Hahahahaha... I've done that so many times it's on my checklist for my guys at work:

"And you're absolutely sure you're set to ERROR and not DEBUG any longer?"

24. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    So far so good. Thanks for the hard work.

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I second this, because I always do it that way in order to avoid stray tags on literally every line of text, but I am not sure if an average internet user is that good with formatting stuff away from the program they're most familiar with.