main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forum Upgrade 2017

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Dec 23, 2017.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The main category toggles are back.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Another option for pasting from Word is to click the button on the top right of the posting interface to go to a simple text editor instead of a rich text editor. This should basically give the same result as pasting from a plain text editor.

Subtext Mining and Bazinga'd like this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    No complaints from me. Everything looks great so far.

Master_Rebado and heels1785 like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Happy wriggles! ThePMs work awesomely and the speed is fantastic! A box of Ferrero Rocher virtual style and [:D] for @Grahame & others. :D

Master_Rebado and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Can the number of quote levels be changed to 3 or 4? It seems the update has reset the default to 1. It's nearly impossible to follow a conversation when only a single previous post is included in the quote box.

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I was able to successfully copy and paste a post from LibreOffice and submit it without errors. However, I noticed two changes to how it pastes.

First, prior to the upgrade, certain carefully selected text colors could be applied in LibreOffice and copied/pasted into this text box intact (not any color, but certain ones such as regular blue). This no longer happens and the text pastes uncolored (i.e. as the default black), requiring me to reapply the color here before posting. Text formatting such as bold and italic is still retained.

Second, prior to the upgrade, paragraph breaks (Enter) and line breaks (Shift+Enter) in the document were treated identically on pasting, each being converted to a single line break in the text box. This is no longer the case, as paragraph breaks now get turned into two line breaks instead of one. This is annoying, but should be fixable on my end with a minor adjustment to how I type my stories.

I will try this from Word later and let you know if there are any differences.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Jeez, I'd forgotten what it was like to just click on a link and have it open. It feels like I'm in the post-net neutrality "fast lane" of the internet right now.

8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I brought this up on the previous page. The answer was that there are a lot of settings that need to be reset after the upgrade, and this is on the list to be looked at. It probably won't happen immediately, as I would guess that it's pretty low on the priority list.

Ewok Poet and zackm like this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Noticed this, too. I always use web formatting, with a clear paragraph in-between two paragraphs (since we can't obviously set paragraph margins and padding as message board users :p), so what happened was an increase of line breaks in a comment reply I had open from before the upgrade took place.

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Which would include highlighting in text... only regular feature I've seen amiss/am missing thus far.

Anyway, it's rather nice to have the boards up & running again. Really, really love the layout of the smilies when making a post & the font of the letters used in posts, etc. Only real complaint: the username/avatar "box" (area I guess? :p) is too big; looks a lot nicer when it's smaller, as it had been before.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, wow, yeah, that is way better. Also, having just used the "highlight selection in order to quote only that selection" feature, I am also very pleased with that.

jcgoble3 and DarthTunick like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    There's another thing that used to be an issue even before the upgrade and is still an issue - when typing a person's name to tag them, adding a comma, apostrophe or a full stop will result in the software treating it as regular text and it works only after switching to the basic editor and finding the username tags, then pasting the wanted character after the closing tag. Is this fixable?

13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    really don't like that I can't stretch the forums to full screen, everything looks too squashed and giving me a headache,

not a fan :(

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Ctrl and +

15. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    yup did that already, now everything is too big :p

not really an ideal solution.

16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    @Grahame, here's a suggestion. Add a list of known issues into the OP of this thread, with workarounds if/when they exist. That way there's one central list of everything we know needs to be fixed, and we can just refer people to that instead of repeating the same discussion points over and over as this thread moves at the speed of an Olympic runner.

17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Small issue: the prefixes don't work (at least in Community) when clicking them; some only display 1-thread, while others don't display anything.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Can I get a refund for Tapatalk now, or

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you for the heads up.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I just noticed one thing. Is there a "Top" button missing? Previously when you were at the bottom of the webpage there was a "Top" button that would bring you directly to the top of the page.

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    There's an arrow next to "Contact us" and other icons.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    @Grimby -- the new "Stretch" desktop layout looks much, much better. Thank you!

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, God, more truncated post issues.

24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    LOL. That was priceless. ^:)^

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Squeeing out loud now that truncation is mentioned. Is that now settled? Woohoo! Older fics can be accessed in all their yumness? [face_laugh]