main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Cult Encounters and Supernatural Encounters (even more new Legends material!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see "Daughter" and "Son" being humanisations - with gender actually being pretty meaningless for the entities themselves.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Typhojem

Tilotny hating all things without beauty and being jealous of all things with beauty, sounds pretty Vain.

Mnggal-Mnggal may fit in here somewhere:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mnggal-Mnggal

being rather Soulworm-ish in some respects, and having ties to extradimensional entities like Waru.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh man. This is so interesting. An arc set after Crucible following all of this stuff would be amazing.

Revanfan1 and Amon_Amarth like this.
  3. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I was actually thinking about that - could this be a prelude to a Legends revival, maybe? Some of these beings sound even higher than Abeloth, and ergo would make good opponents for the heroes to keep the threat level escalating.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm wondering who the "fallen demon" that betrayed them all and helped cast them out was. Perhaps that was Wutzek - who was later captured and imprisoned by angry cultists specifically to punish him for this?

Given that the Son, Daughter, and Father are "what Celestials become" and Abeloth was supposed to be an ordinary mortal, elevated by them - maybe she was possessed by the power of the Lady of the Locust Heart when she bathed, and that helped transform her into a facsimile of the much older entity?

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I'm curious to know when the article was last revised. My sense is that the last revision predates FotJ and parts of TCW, given that it doesn't reference Abeloth and the Mortis trinity more explicitly. Any apparent references to them may instead be shared archetypal heritage.

It namedrops exogorths, so it's post-2005. But likely pre-2010? I'd love an extended footnotes section...

6. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    As a big-time fan of the ancient Galaxy, I'm very intrigued by the implication that these beings were contemporaries of the Celestials, and that both of them arrived in the Galaxy as it was just forming.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It might be during FOTJ before Mortis was brought into it with Apocalypse.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Much more excited for these story possibilities than E9.

Ordo Skirata and AusStig like this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think this sort of work, especially Abel's, was always more suited toward storytelling for Star Wars RPGs, unfortunately, as while he wrote some amazing stuff (Dark Forces Saga?), it never was followed up on narratively.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  11. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Could be. Though given how comprehensive some the other references are, I feel they would have at least mentioned the Maw if they were hinting in Abeloth's direction.

12. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    The endnote at the bottom seems to indicate we can expect the second part, too.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He wrote the web article for the Dark Forces Saga, at least:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Abel_G._Peña

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    There was an earlier version of this article with the Order of the Terrible Glare that was on Hyperspace I think? Or in SW Insider?

I wish Leland forwarded it to Denning et al. when they were doing FOTJ, they should have leaned into this mythic element, especially since that seems like it was Denning's interest.

15. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Also, species confirmation for Rur, I noticed: Sunesi.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Also of interest is a comment by Joe Bongiorno in the comments section there:

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

That was the bit I'm expecting to see in the second half. Which does suggest that the (Niman deity?) Father of Shadows is supposed to be him.

18. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Oh, so TYPHOJEM is the Father of Shadows.

Darth Sareas likes this.
  19. That is pretty cool
    I knew that someday someone was going to continue the Legends timeline very good news

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That, or he took his "father"'s name, with the "most ancient of all evil deities" being a separate entity.

21. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I'm wondering if perhaps we might get a limited revival of Legends to tie up loose ends left by the reboot, fix some unpopular moves (revive Mara or Chewie, etc.), and so on. Think the 2015 DC storyline Convergence, which served among other things to give a more epic grand finale to the pre-2011 continuity, something the abrupt "New 52" reboot very much didn't. These fell gods, of course, would be the enemies.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  23. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I'm not sure these beings are meant to be higher than the Celestials. The intro mentions two great factions in the infant Galaxy, Celestials and "Old Ones" (a term straight out of Lovecraft) who I assume are these guys.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Older, at least. The Celestials are roughly synonymous with "The Architects" mentioned here and characterised as the younger group.

I notice that the Yevetha's home planet, N'zoth, seems to be tied in here. Perhaps that's why the Yevetha are so bloodthirsty, xenophobic, and sacrifice-heavy - they were being influenced?

25. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    The Celestials are mentioned separately from the Architects here, apparently due to in-universe confusion as to whether the Celestials or the Old Ones were "the Architects" - which is new information as far as I can tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.