main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Who handles Star Wars better? George Lucas or Disney? (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SW Saga Fan, Dec 26, 2017.

1. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I didn't know where this discussion would fit, but since it concerns the entire saga (movies, TV series, comics and books), I guess this board would be the best place. @Bazinga'd @anakinfansince1983 , feel free to place this thread on another board if necessary...

So with The Last Jedi having been released recently and being probably another very dividing movie among fans and the audience (the Rotten Tomato audience score is now at 52%, and according to the Rotten Tomato security team, staff and president, it hasn't been hacked or brought down by people creating false accounts unlike what some people would have liked to believe), now comes the following question: who has a better hand on the creativity process of Star Wars? George Lucas, or the new team who works under the control of Disney?

Discuss!

Rule: no bashing of Disney or George Lucas allowed here!

Here's a video initiating the discussion:

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I don't think either is objectively 'better'.

3. LionL

LionL Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2017
    As the whole Star Wars Universe is the brainchild of George Lucas, of course he does it better than anyone else ever could - it's very hard to get into another's mind.
    Disney are doimg their own thing and trying to carry Lucas' ideas forward. They've done a good job but, for me, you'll never beat the original

4. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    I pretty much agree with the above. Right now, however, I'd prefer Disney to be running things over Lucas.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  5. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Lucas. Not even close.

6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I sense something.... [​IMG] ..soon.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  7. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    Lucas. Star Wars has been, and always will be, HIS story. Miss him so much!

ami-padme, wobbits, J7Luke and 9 others like this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    No offence to SW Saga Fan but this is a divisive thread topic that will devolve into pointless arguing & whining by two opposing camps. The way the OP is written is loaded & terribly biased to begin with. No thanks.

Avnar and Martoto77 like this.
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Lucas, obviously. He created it.

Not sure how discarding something is carrying it forward.

10. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I would normally say Lucas for creative direction, as it is his story. But I think Lucas has long since been done with the Saga. After the bashing he received at the hands of some Star Wars fans over the PT, I just think he became disillusioned and burned out with the franchise.

11. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I assume you are talking about Lucas dispensing with LFL/Star Wars.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  12. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I definitely can believe that. He could have run to an island and let The Star Wars die. But he didn't.

I think Lucas enjoys the big picture and grand theme (and world building) side of Star Wars creativity. He actually came up with the perfect ending for his filmmaking golden years. Enjoy the part he loved and share it with a financial interest with the resources to make his every creative seed blossom into a glorious force tree to share with the world. Let all the actual filmmaking, financing, detail script and dialogue work, publicity tours and all the life draining part of the equation to others.

And we all would have been rewarded for it. But that isn't what happened. So I have a hard time agreeing that Disney was the best curator. Not that they wouldn't have just bought the studio he sold it to if not them.

J7Luke and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  13. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Gold [face_laugh]

14. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    I didn't love all of Lucas' decisions, but his films are far better than Disney's, so it is not really a contest.

15. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I guess you meant to post this in the "Whose films do you like best?" thread. [face_thinking]

16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Lets try to elaborate reasons for liking one over the other.

17. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Whatever works, IMO.

Either "regime", for want of a better distinction, has provided a satisfacory approach to canon, or whatever, in the interest of producing entertaining fantasy adventure movies. (pro rata, of course)

18. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Well, I like both, so far, but GL's original 6 film saga will always be essential for me.
    The creation of the epic tale of the Skywalker family, spanning the entire galaxy and encompassing so many incredible characters and worlds in Episodes I-VI is truly brilliant. The variety and continuity between the PT and OT is pure SW magic.

With that said, I currently rank Rogue One second out of all SW films. It's brilliant, imo.
    And I cannot wait to see TLJ a second time. I'm currently reading the Visual Dictionary and it is fascinating.
    I give Disney credit so far, but I must admit I'm slightly concerned about the disconnect between the stories/writing between TFA and TLJ. It seems like the ST is being composed on the fly and that an "anything goes" style might have been adopted. Hopefully JJ can tie it all together somehow.

GL's six film saga has a beautiful arc and tonally, everything in those films fits together beautifully from a plot standpoint. Imo.

19. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I'm intersted in how that concern comes about. Do you think there is little or no connection between the stories you witnessed. Or has the reported working methods of the people invovled in producing the two ST films so far lead you to consider that the stories cannot be sufficiently connected unless it's a predetermined story arc or history that the respective directors are entrusted to realise, faithfully.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Lucas. His movies (especially the PT) appeal to me in an incredibly unique manner. The way he drew from disparate genres to creative a whole that feels original and cohesive. The range of tone he brought, which allowed for levity while never sacrificing a serious, dramatic core. Beautiful, painterly visuals, and a sense of exoticism to the world building even when working with real world filming locations. And of course characterization, which I prefer to carry a sense of grounded emotion even during the most fantastic action SF sequences.

Again, Lucas's work was just strikingly unique to me, even when he was referencing his own earlier installments. By comparison the Disney films mostly just feel to me like one more set of blockbuster films in an over-crowded blockbuster landscape.

21. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Star Wars is in GL's veins. He knows it inside and out and you can tell just by observing how effortlessly he intertwined his six episodes on so many levels. We got two great story arcs with different identities that still functioned as one greater whole. He just made it work.

What LFL is doing now is also greatly entertaining - with a distinct Star Wars vibe - and quite profound. How profound, I guess we'll know two years from now. From what I've been told, it seems like they're approaching the new trilogy with less of a grand vision and more of a "let's just take it one episode at a time" mentality. There might be a general vision regarding the end, though...
    Whatever the case, the new trilogy does not function as part of GL's greater whole, but rather as the beginning of a new phase. The way it ties into the two preceding trilogies is just too different from the GL way to make it a part of that arc. Storywise, it offers new and interesting ideas - in regards to the main characters - but on a macro level, as well as visually, it lacks an identity of it's own because it's basically a repetition/extension of the preceding trilogy.
    There's nothing inherently wrong with that and as long as the story has something of its own to say, I really have no problem with it. I've come to terms with the fact that GL's story arc is well and truly finished and that what we're getting now is, again, a new phase based on new visions that are rooted in nostalgia.

At the end of the day, I will probably always enjoy GL's Star Wars the most, thanks to the general feel of it, the thematic diversity and the effortless intricacy of how it all came together (that includes TCW, BTW), but I truly appreciate KK's Star Wars as well - and if that makes me a social justice warrior, all the better ;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  22. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Hi. Nothing like that.
    Concern simply came about from viewing the films and forming an opinion is all.
    Granted, I've seen TFA over 10 times and TLJ once. Still, it is obvious that there is a slight disconnect between those two stories.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU. 14 billion years of history. So many different characters, eras, planets, species, groups, etc

24. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Yes, let's close the discussion before too many get upset by the verdict. [face_tee_hee]

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  25. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    What is funny is I actually listened to the original YouTube video posted. It seemed to be saying Star Wars was in good hands with Disney.

So I listened to "Thor's" latest YT video and it seemed to have show a shaken faith of what was said days earlier. So I listened to bits and pieces of the videos chronologically from the original and I hear somebody on the journey of most after TLJ.

I'm sure Rian will do a great job.
    Hmm. I think I like this movie, but I'm having to compartmentalize quite a bit in real time.
    Ok. It wasn't great, but I can still enjoy it. t will get better the more I watch.
    Hmm. It is getting worse the more I watch and reflect.
    Uh oh. I just might not like this movie. I can pieces I like, but the movie itself is not good.