main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    "You're nothing... But not to me. M'lady."

Jester J Binks likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, sooooo… Just got back from seeing it, on a freezing December day that is doing its best to snow. And my view of snow is akin to that of Anakin Skywalker on sand - it gets everywhere.
    So, will have much to say.
    And it won’t go the way you think. ;)

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Why do i get the sense you're a 4chan regular?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    If this is anything like your TFA post, I'll be waiting with baited breath.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    "Oh, it will be. It will be."

6. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    They can't have it both ways. They can't openly talk about an agenda and then feign ignorance, surprise and rebuke when somebody points out they have an agenda.

So glad this scab is pulled off again. This is when this forum goes into the Dark Times and authoritarian rule rears its ugly head.

What Are The Odds likes this.
  7. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Politics aside, how is taking a clear stance on a position and supporting it with clear and well crafted evidence fragile?

You, on the other hand, haven't said anything and seem pretty triggered by the article. Perhaps you need a safe space where you only get the kind interpretations that agree with your sensibilities.

Newsflash, as others have said, Star Wars has always had a liberal agenda. So overtly obvious.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    This is what Rian Johnson says about the politics of TLJ:

“All the things that are in the air and in your head get filtered in. It’s impossible not to put what’s on your mind into the movie. But I maintain that I think the reason these movies are constantly applicable to the real world is that they are never just cheap 1:1 analogies. Because they are about the stuff that’s underneath the stuff–they’re more universal than that. Going back to the original films, they’re still applied to current political situations because they have that kind of archetypal power. We’re living in the real world and we’re the ones telling the stories, so it’s all gonna filter in there, but I think it’s never conceived as a political allegory, per se, and hopefully that’s why it’s especially potent."​

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I think TLJ is a metaphor for Lucas selling the SW IP to Disney.

Luke = Lucas

Rey = Disney/New LFL

Kylo = Fanboy Opinion / Demands

Luke's Jedi Order = The Prequel Trilogy

10. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Is there any point in me replying to that? I don't believe I was being sarcastic.

Is there not an even playing field here? Are you unable to reply to points raised for some reason? What do you feel is unbalanced about it?

11. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    It couldn't have been that well crafted when the responses have varied as:
    1. That's not what LFL is doing.
    2. That is what LFL is doing, deal with it.
    3. I don't agree with the article

Toxic feminity . There should be no problem with that phrase. Correct? Let's see.

I've made some points already. But it isn't necessarily pro or con to the *discussion*, but to the ability to do so for others.

I don't want to go after any particular poster, but I would not have addressed it the way it was brought in. But then again, I wouldn't have also responded the way it was either. Well, I could, but I make an effort not to overreact.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  12. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    The problem is it should be "toxic femininity".

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Which responses were those?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
  15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So glad this **** isn't my problem any more.

With my activity here over the last month, I was almost beginning to regret stepping down.

Ghost and DigitalMessiah like this.
  16. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I feel like this thread stopped talking about the movie right after I mentioned the score.

V-2, comradepitrovsky and BobaMatt like this.
  17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The score? That's what you get for bringing up sports.

AusStig, quinlan solo and Stymi like this.
  18. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I think the score's great -- I've been finding myself humming a few of the minor motifs for Luke and the First Order, though I think its lack of primary themes is just a necessity borne out of how close it is to TFA, which did all the heavy lifting in terms of establishing new material.

BobaMatt and DigitalMessiah like this.
  19. What Are The Odds

What Are The Odds Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2016
    Whoa there! Want to shut me up with such accusations? Or trying to provoke mods to ban me? You're playing a dirty game. I give in. When "arguments" like that show up, it's clearly impossible to discuss the matter any further.

20. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Well, this is all your fault for bringing in such a controversial topic. Why are so many things in music based off the relation to major. That's a lowered third. Really? Perhaps the major third is just the raised third. Crap. That doesn't work either. FU major scale.

@Outsourced That was the strawman cue. You're slipping.

21. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    You've barely discussed it. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss that article somewhere other than here.

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I do think Rose's theme is great.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Rose's theme is the first major theme we've gotten in a major key since Across the Stars, I believe?

In the other two bridge films, we got the Imperial March and Across the Stars which both dominated the score. I feel like Rey's theme played that role in TFA. Kylo Ren didn't receive a new theme like Darth Vader in TESB and there's no major romance central to the plot so I suppose it makes sense that there's no major new theme that dominates this film.

The Rebel fanfare is pretty prominent which makes a lot of sense.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  24. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Yeah, Williams has described Rey's Theme as an adventure motif, so it's absolutely the central thread of TFA. TLJ did use Kylo's Theme in the same way as the Imperial March though, by using it for the First Order fleet as a whole in addition to Kylo personally; the opening scene introduces the Star Destroyers with his motif.

And I like how both the Rebel Fanfare and the Main Theme get increasingly used in TLJ, as if TFA set up the new characters as worthy successors to the OT heroes, and TLJ is paying that off by letting them use the old Rebellion themes.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    When is the main theme used in the film?

That's also Luke's theme, the main time I can think of it being used is on the track "Old Friends" which is when Luke and Artoo are on the Falcon.