main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things you like and dislike about the Disney era so far? SEE WARNING ON PAGE 7

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DJT, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013

I think Star Wars is already in danger of over saturation already. Never thought I would say this but I am tired of seeing SW everywhere now. I think the worst thing is seeing all the corny humor SW shirts which are probably delegitimatizing Star Wars as serious films and making them appear as farces to the GP.

lookameatbag likes this.
  2. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Like: The idea of spinoff movies but they need to get over the OT and tell spinoff stories not relating to any events or legacy characters from the OT(except for Obi Wan I would love a stand alone story on him). I also enjoy the character of kylo ren and his story is the only thing keeping me interested in the ST at the moment.

DIslike- Pretty much everything else. I hate the direction the ST has taken so far both story wise and the way the films are made. I hate the continue disrespect to the PT and Lucas. I hate modern politics overtaking natural character development and storytelling. Wasting legacy characters to prop the boring new characters. Lack of world building and terrible marvel humor.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Without seeing TLJ...

Liked: Most of Rogue One except for Jyn’s pep talks. Obi-Wan in the new canon (they haven’t screwed him up yet.)

Nope: Loss of Dark Horse as the comics arm, the loss of the Jedi, mystery boxes, the PTB, the obvious money grabs (worse than pre-Disney.)

4. BoulderFaceplant

BoulderFaceplant Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2017
    - The return of 35mm as the film standard.
    - The return of practical effects and weird puppets.
    - The use of actual locations instead of CG BS, although in this day and age they could more easily get away with it (The Hobbit looks a lot better than the Star Wars prequels).

Dislikes:
    - Obnoxious direction style of TLJ.
    - Constant tears and lip quivering.
    - Overt political correctness through overly calculated casting choices and an unwillingness to do the edgier things we saw pre-2012.
    - The ruination of Luke Skywalker.
    - Lack of interesting new characters.
    - Plot holes that could house a space slug.
    - General lack of planning.
    - Cringeworthy dialogue.
    - Awkward, way too frequent humor.
    - The brand feeling smaller, not larger, because of general mishandling and EA’s exclusive ownership of the video game rights.
    - Obliterating the EU

5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I love when I see Political Corectness listed as a reason. Its a clear indication that the post can be disregarded.

6. BoulderFaceplant

Dec 20, 2017
    I bet you “love” it. It means in your mind that you don’t have to make a counter-argument. Political correctness is among the least of this series’ enormous problems, but feel free to retreat from defending the series just because I listed it as one of them.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We have a policy here against hate speech and sexism, which includes complaints about the casting of women and people of color as “political correctness” when the same reasoning would not be cited in the casting of white male characters.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/rules-of-the-jedi-council-forums.27141421/

We also will not be having a conversation about whether complaints about “political correctness” constitute hate speech and sexism.

8. BoulderFaceplant

Dec 20, 2017
    Could you or someone else please point me to a Star Wars fansite where this topic is allowed to be discussed?

@Outsourced , now that this topic is off the table, do you care to address my other points?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. InaraAlena

InaraAlena Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2017
    Like: The removal of the Expanded Universe as Cannon. That was a hodgepodge of stories that were lumped together by a lot of different writers. Can someone please tell me why a Jedi Knight had to learn how to fight like a Mandalorian to defeat Jacen Solo? The fact that more Star Wars films are being made.

Dislikes: Disney is trying to kill off everything that was a part of the Old Trilogy. Its not the moving forward I am against its the disrespect I feel that was given to the greatest character in the franchise. Marvel does not treat Ironman or Thor this way. DC does not treat Superman or Batman this way. Disney you blew it with Luke.

10. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    I wish I could FIND that site, or I'd be there. What in the world has happened to TheForce.net? There are so MANY topics that are FORBIDDEN! :(

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    These forums have always been family-friendly. We allow users as young as 13. In addition, not all of our uses fit the 'white, male' profile so we try to be inclusive as far as sex, race, gender go.

12. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    1. the quality of the new films: TFA, RO and TLJ are all very competently made, try new things, have beautiful visuals and are generally well directed, written and acted.
    2. The use of the SW brand in the Disney theme parks. Will very much enjoy the new Star Wars themed lands.
    3. Some of the new EU content: Bloodlines, Shattered Empire, Lost Stars, the pre-TLJ books on Leia and Luke.
    4. I like the emerging theme of the ST which is the Force going out to the galaxy from a select few. They had to get here eventually and this was implied by Yoda’s final task given to Luke to pass on what he had learned.
    Dislikes

1. The first hour of RO was very choppy and unfocused. Likely a result of Lucasfilm managing risk after the first series of shoots. Would have preferred the original cut.
    2. A lot of the EU content is pretty bad, especially the writing style of Wendig in the Aftermath trilogy. Also a lot of the “Journey to...” content feels like pure filler and very disconnected from the actual films.
    3. Disney for some reason has little interest in exploring the period between ROTJ and TFA in the new EU, especially with the OT 3. There is so much content to mine here and in multiple formats - books, comics, novels, games. I want more here especially after TLJ pretty much ended the OT 3’s story in the saga.
    4. Disney’s branding of the spinoffs has been lacking. It seems like they don’t really know what to do with the spinoffs or how to market them. Kennedy seemed shocked that RO did so well at the box office. They could learn a lot from Marvel here, I think. Marvel has not only created a unique brand for the MCU, but they continue to evolve it and grow it.
    5. Jury still out on the Lucasfilm Story Group (LSG). Even though I was a fan of TLJ, it seems clear that they gave RJ a very long leash, and allowed him to plan most of the film before TFA had even been released to audiences. I guess I am just surprised at some of the choices they have allowed JJ and RJ to make (JJ basically bringing the empire back as the FO; RJ giving Luke an unconventional sendoff) , which by themselves make for compelling movies IMHO, but as an overall direction the jury is still very much out on.

Hypatia likes this.
  13. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    What the hell is a white male profile? Btw is there any rule for people insulting me by my skin color for not liking certain stuff? I bet there isn't. I love how people calling me a typical white male nerd for not liking some stupid character is ignored but oh woe if someone dares complain about a casting that happens to be non-white. I didn't see the mods crack down on those people attacking me in the past.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A lot of users assume posters here are white and male. I claim white but I'm not male. (Yet I lose count of the number of times I'm referred to as 'he'). I don't bother to correct it but I'd never assume everyone else is white and male.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have edited posts along the lines of “typical white male” and posts that stereotype men overall, so such a post should be reported. There is a thread entitled Sexism Policy in Comms that gives a pretty comprehensive view as to what is and is not allowed regarding sexism. When people have talked about “toxic masculinity,” that is not an insult to men, it is a condemnation of the idea that men are supposed to be tough and domineering to the point of violence. There is a Wikipedia article on the subject that explains the concept very well. The majority of the men I have interacted with on or offline do not fit the profile at all. (Bring this up because I know there is an article on the subject in relation to The Last Jedi.)

Disney/LFL as a company strives to be more accepting of a more diverse fandom; there was even a forum about it at Celebration. I would say any “agenda” is not in such acceptance but in the idea that a more diverse fandom is somehow bad.

...which goes back to why attempts at discussing “political correctness” never go anywhere good and why they are stopped quickly here. I have yet to see such a discussion that was not code for “I don’t want strong women leads or leads of color in my Star Wars, and I want the white male leads to always be the strong ones,” which then can be interpreted by women and people of color in no other way than “people who look like you do not belong in my Star Wars.” I’ve allowed discussions along the lines of “Where the hell did Rey get her powers?”, I think that’s a fair question, but any commentary about a “feminist agenda” assumes “strong [ white] male, weak female” as the default and somehow more acceptable, which is not OK.

The world is changing, the ownership of Star Wars has changed (which is what we are talking about here) and the ownership of TF.N has changed. The hate speech and sexism policies were put into place about four years ago; those will not change.

Long- winded but hopefully that clears things up.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  16. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I was with you up to this point, AFAIK TF.N has the same owner it's had since it's inception.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought ownership changed several years ago, which is why (among other things) the ban on same-sex relationships in fan fiction was able to be lifted? I stand corrected if I misunderstood something though.

18. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    I've also been called a homophobe because I didn't like a character who happened to be gay or bi. I mean really? I'm being accused of hating gay people because of one crappy book character? This isn't a healthy forum environment.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would need to see the post in question, but I suppose the interpretation of your comments would depend on whether other users and moderators felt that you would hold the same dislike for the exact same character if that character were straight. There is a big difference between “I don’t like the personality of this character who just happens to be gay” and “I don’t like the fact that there are gay people in Star Wars.” The former is fine, the latter opinion is what does not make a healthy forum environment—as opposed to being called on the latter making the forum environment unhealthy.

Further discussion of this, if needed, should probably go in Comms.

But if you are applying the same standards for whether you like or dislike a character whether the character is white, male, straight, or any or none of the above, you’re probably fine. Any version of “this type of character should not be in Star Wars or should only be portrayed in a very traditional manner” is going to get negative attention.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  20. Instant Force Talk

Instant Force Talk Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2017
    Anywho... Before I go back on topic, and I hope this is acceptable, the term "Politically Correct" states that no terms or words that can be deemed a derogatory towards specific groups of people. The term "Morally Correct" is the basis where the addition of those who would have been rare, or excluded, are now treated as an actual equal in some way.

That, and Princess Leia did create the bar for all current Disney Princesses in 1977. George Lucas did admit that it turned out to be a good thing that he was not involved in The Force Awakens. And I still personally feel that viewing the Star Wars Holiday Special with no commercial interruptions should be considered a forum-based punishment here.

So that said... My LIKES and DISLIKES.

LIKE: Rebels. I must admit that I did not see The Clone Wars. I watched Clone Wars, but neither the CGI film and its TV follow-up. Not the episodes that Disney managed to recover and put on DVD/BD for those who wanted to see how the series would have ended. This was because Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith gave me that "Nope. I'm done." feeling that others claim -- in a less mature style -- both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi gave them. But when I started to watch the shorts tied to this series, I was finding that old feeling return. And ultimately started to watch it because of Sabine Wren, Chopper, and Kanan Jarrus. Still waiting for the latter half of season 4, but I am also finding myself wishing that Kotokubiya would have some hand in making figurines of these characters. And I normally do not wish that.

LIKE: Rogue One. I am not a big fan of the film. Mostly because I found myself tuning out around the middle of the film. But despite that, as well as both the execution and concept was far better than what it had replaced: Dark Forces.That was a run-n-gun mission. This film made the whole mission a "They died so we can all live" feeling.

LIKE: The Force Awakens. I ended up watching it on January 1, 2016 in 3-D. Loved it in that style. Then I watched it again in 2-D in hopes of seeing what I had missed, and found that it looks better in 3-D. And finalized it with a 4-D experience, which left me thinking that 3-D is the way to go. Overall, I appreciate the fact that it compressed what Episodes I-VI had already done. As well as feel thankful for the fact it gave me a renewed interest in the Force, droids, and anything else that would follow.

LIKE: The new astromech droids. I am not a big fan of protocol, medical, or even assassin droids. And besides Chopper, I have not been that big on non-R2 units. Which I should probably reconsider. But outside that series of thoughts, I am really liking the new BB series and how much more useful they seem to be.

LIKE: The expansion of the Force. The Force has that science-meets-religion-meets role-playing game feel to it. So them using that route has me feel like I should be asking myself what levels the Force-users are instead of acting like all the rules have been written. Which they have not been, and may never be for the foreseen future.

LIKE: The new Expanded Universe. There are portions of the old continuity I still like, and am glad I was able to fight for. I even got in argument with a moderator at the old Star Wars forum because he said that all Star Wars fiction should only be the films. And after we did get an official (but not perfect) Expanded Universe, it ended up feeling like it was more about the Jedi than the characters at hand. And in the end I am glad the old lore is getting reused for the sake of fleshing out this Expanded Universe.

LIKE: Doctor Aphra. When I was a kid, Han Solo was my favorite non-Jedi character. Today I both like her and feel mixed about being a fan. Which is a good thing for me.

DISLIKE: The behavior of those claiming to be fans, but choose to put self-entitlement before understanding the rest of the fanbase. Do I need to say more? Outside of this forum, I had a hard time getting back into the fold of things because of those types of fans. And with "fans" rehashing the proven to be 'False News' claim that The Force Awakens is a rehash of A New Hope making me wait two years to consider being a fan again. But to be honest, it is not as bad as what I did experience with other fans of other series. Yet, still... Those people need to accept the fact they can dislike something, but need to act like adults while allowing others to like it.

DISLIKE: The fact those slamming Disney for owning the franchise are the ones ignoring the Star Wars Holiday Special. Shall I say more?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    ST and bringing the OT characters back
    Rogue One
    EU novels
    Star Wars Celebration 2017: Despite it being annoying and crowded at times, I really glad I went. I had an awesome time.

Likes/Dislike: Star Wars movie every year. I really don't think it's necessary and it's over saturation but then again I love it at the same time.I do think the ST should be every three years though.

Dislikes:
    LF Story Group: While I do like the films, I do feel like they need to do a better job on getting the story across in many aspects.
    Puppetry/aliens: I want to see some cool designs. Really haven't had them.
    Toys: A lot of the toys on the market are cheap and oversaturated. Add Elite and Black Series to my list of likes though.
    No Lando in ST yet
    Fan complaining: People have the right to complain and not like something, but boy are there some internet trolls out there who take things to the extreme.

22. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    Agree on the story group. As I said in my post above, not sure how good of a job they are doing with the overall continuity, and they refuse to allow any significant exploration of the OT 3 characters (especially Luke) between ROTJ and TFA.

23. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Yeah your post reminded me of how things are being done. I mean not even books/comics that really dive into the timeline. Maybe they are saving that after 9 so they don’t contradict themselves with continuity errors just in case. I think the whole retread idea kind of hurt the OT characters, though it’s actually not an impossible thing.

I think people wanted to see the characters of the OT fully developed and at their peak. I just feel like they waited too long for that given their age, and I think making the first order the second empire and dealing with another dark family member took their progression of the universe away.

A lot of it is missed opportunity, like the PT though, but then we got TCW, which justified AOTC for leaving a lot out. I think that’s really the only thing we can hope for. If Carrie was here still, I would say record a flashback with all of them, a lengthy one which I thought for sure was gonna be in TLJ.

24. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    @Jamtia agreed

even the Aftermath trilogy, which contained a lot of "meat" re" what happened in the year or two after ROTJ, did not have the OT 3 as main characters, really. Han, sort of, in the second book. But they spent a TON of pages on non-OT 3 characters in that series.

25. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    A few have mentioned the cancelled CLONE WARS. I think it just needed another short season to wrap up a lot of story threads and tie up nicely with Episode III, which is what fans wanted. I cannot fathom why they literally ordered its cancellation when it was so close to nearing its natural end.

So far the films put out have been more than solid. They are enjoyable. We do need more originality though!