main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Tags! (And a bit on prefixes) But TAGS!! - New sorting system! - New tags added Jan 22

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 28, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Not the place for airing of grievances. If you have an issue with why a story was moved, PM the mod that did it.

YES! ROSE! As I said above, we pulled the list from FF.N so new characters probably weren't a part of it. We can edit this list at any time, it's just a lot easier to add a bunch of tags at once, rather than a few every day or two.

Ewok Poet and divapilot like this.
  2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    A few more suggestions from me (these are just ideas I'm throwing out there):

Under Characters – General:

Add a "Minor canon character" tag as a catch-all for anyone who isn't named individually (and possibly "Minor Legends character" as well).
    I'd replace "Bounty Hunter" with a slightly wider category, e.g. "Underworld" or "Scoundrels".
    A separate tag for Mandalorians could also be an option, and possibly a "SkySolos" tag for stories that deal with the family as a whole.

Under Relationships:

We probably need one or more tags for Obi-Wan's relationships. The way I did this in the resource index was to have general categories for characters that are written in multiple relationships, e.g. "Obi-Wan romantic relationships" (includes Siriwan, Obitine, etc), "Jaina Solo romantic relationships" (includes J/J, J/Z, K/J etc). This could be a way to limit the total number of tags.
    As a side note, K/J isn't on the list right now.

Under Genre:

Add Time-travel

Under Length:

Add Series, Songfic, Script

Under Timelines:

Add "Distant past" and "Far future".

Under General:

"Movie-based story" vs "EU-based story" or something along those lines
    "Collaborative work" and "Round-robin"
    Multimedia (for stories that have soundtracks, for example)

Lastly, I think we should add a "content warning" tag for fics addressing sensitive issues (violence/torture/drugs etc). In the same vein, add an Inter-Species Romantic Relationship tag since this is something that stories should be labelled with when applicable.

3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    What @Chyntuck said above plus this.

Second this. Might want to add a warning for major character death, too.

Also, just thinking at 4:30 am because my son’s video game woke me up (go to sleep!): do we need all those timelines if we have the prefixes? Could we streamline there?

And do you want a tag for those Legends/new canon mashups? We don’t get many but choosing a prefix that fits a story like that can get dicey.

Findswoman and Master_Lok like this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Nevertheless, if we are going to have tags regarding SW content, it does seem that lack of it can be highlighted too.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    These, yes.

I was adding my tags until silly hours in the morning and realised that nothing matches my 10 000 ABY story.

And I'm still for splitting Legacy of the Force and Legacy comics.

Findswoman likes this.
  6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    One more I think may be useful: a "Fanon" or "Worldbuilding" tag.
    IMO this depends on how many prefixes we choose to have. With the multi-prefix system we could just as well keep only "New Canon", "Legends", "Mashup" and "Before", "Saga" and "Beyond" as prefixes, and then use the tags to refine the search for specific timelines under these broad headings.

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Another I just remembered: gift.

divapilot likes this.
  8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    This is pretty much it. We haven't 100% decided on prefixes, we have 2 similar options that are these broad headings. The timeline tags just allow people to further refine or get really specific, if they want.

9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Also, this is where I admit that I am stupid - I used to be so.much against separate threads for every single thing (okay, that one time a single drabble had its own thread was odd, but otherwise, no), now I understand why they're a good idea, with this system at all...and one other thing, yes. Considering calling mine a day in 2018.

10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    New Year's morning flash of lucidity: a tag for reposts please :)

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    On that note...I find reposts from, like, 2013-2016 to be a debatable, awkward thing. Why do so when the story is not truncated and in good condition? Just find a friend to comment on it and bump it, or submit it to the read and review tag challenge. Kind of unfair to everybody else.

Had nowhere else to post it & wanted to say it in public. Still sleepy and grumpy...

12. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    For those of you wondering about NSWFF tags, I have a preemptive list of them going over on our side of the pond. For the most part, it's the same as for SWFF . . . just with added fandom content. ;)

It's great to see the ball rolling with you guys, though, mav and bri! I know how much work went into this. [:D]

mavjade , Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    This isn't really a tag question, but I just realized that I can't edit my title line to add an update date. Help?

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    As I understand it, something about the add-ons messed it up. It was working but suddenly quit. :eek:

brodiew likes this.
  15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Something happened when they fixed the prefixes (no one could filter by them) and now only mods can edit titles even though the permissions show as correct. We're working on figuring out what happened. There's a banner at the top of all of the fanfic boards. :)

16. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Just noticed there is a mara and a mara jade tag - maybe they should be combined?

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Right now all the boards share all the tags - we are looking into if we can separate them, but it was probably created by another mod for a different forum, so I gotta leave it.

yahiko likes this.
  18. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    You mean I get to add my "Gloriously Imperfect Humans" tag to Sometime This Century?!? Awesome!

Edit: Actually no, it won't let me do that yet. But know I wanted to. :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Hmmm...no separatists tag? Just realised that.

20. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yet another suggestion under characters: "ensemble cast".

Also, a request to @mavjade and @Briannakin: could we please have an updated list of available tags? (if you had time to update it of course, I know you're busy right now)

21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I have observed that the search mechanism can find stuff of mine where the keyword has been mentioned in the thread or title.

Therefore, unless someone employs a tag that literally never appears in their story or series, I am not sure what the tag system offers, that the search doesn't already do.

Edit: Put another way, perhaps we are going overboard with the tags.

As in @Chyntuck 's example above, entirely possible that "ensemble cast" is not going to be mentioned in the title, intro summary, or the fic itself; but character names, such as "Thrawn" or "Mara Jade" are likely to already get mentioned in the thread, so the search will already group them amongst its findings without creating a tag for them.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Chyntuck likes this.
  22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    We've not updated the list yet, there've been too many things going on. It was my plan to do so in the next few days. :)

If people want to search instead of using the tags, that's fine. It's just an option to make your story easier to find and another way to find stories people want to read.

Ewok Poet, Tarsier and Chyntuck like this.
  23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, it is entirely possible that I have missed something here.

On the NSWFF, I am pretty sure that the explanation of how to find things by tags, was to use the search function. Do tags work without the search function?

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, in that if you click on one it takes you to anything tagged with that. So if you are on a story that is tagged with AU and you want to find others you can just click on that tag and they pop up. I've done this a few times so far.

If you go to the tag search (click search, then "more", then the final tab is "search tags") you'll see a list of the most popular tags. Also there you can search by more than one tag, so if you want to find a story that has Luke as a major character and and is angsty, you type both of Luke and angst and it only shows you stories with both of those tags.

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah okay, thank you.

I didn't realise all that.

I have just taken a step into a larger universe.

mavjade likes this.