main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Chris Terrio to Co-write Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by seasider, Dec 26, 2017.

1. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    Curious. His past work is horrible.

KSennia likes this.
  2. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Argo is horrible?

Seems like his career is going places independent of DCEU. I think the problem is Affleck tagged him to rewrite BvS and with that group it was a wrong turn.

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  3. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I would argue that going from Argo to BvS is maybe the biggest fall from grace in Hollywood history. Although it isn't as public, since he is a screenwriter.

KSennia and Yora like this.
  4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    What Solo Debacle? Do you mean Firing Lord and Miller? How exactly does Firing Lord and Miller affect Kasdan from coming back to write a new Star Wars script? Apparently Lord and Miller were making major Changes to Kasdans script I would think Kasdan would be happy they were let go from the film If you are insinuating there was bad blood between Kasdan and Lucasfilm over Lord and Miller being fired there wasn't I am sure.

@DarthHass I have to strongly disagree with you on The Alien Franchise. I Absolutely Loved Prometheus and Covenant. With Prometheus and Covenant It Is old school Film making A lot of Practical effects and both films feels Like back to the Feeling of the Original Ridley Scott Alien! they both have Great stories and great gross out scenes to be sure and when Prometheus came out most on here said don't listen to the critics this film is great and very underrated. Oh and Disney now Owns the Alien Franchise!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  5. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    How much of DCEU is Snyder?

6. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Often, a screenwriter's best scripts never see the light of day.

Chris Terrio wrote a fantastic drama called "The Ends of The Earth" that's well worth checking out (a little Google 101 should turn it up). It was circulated all around town a few years ago, so I'm pretty sure JJ has read it.

Because writers have no final say and constantly get rewritten (often without credit), you should judge a screenwriter by their best work. Similarly, you should judge a director by their average work, not that one film where they had a great script that any hack could have made.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  7. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    It doesn't matter. Terrio is responsible for that script. Snyder directed based on it.

8. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    In fairness, Terrio CO-WROTE BvS: DoJ with the same guy who wrote MoS, which had already started off the DCEU on the wrong foot anyway.

So, I'm thinking it's Snyder and Goyer who were the weak links, not Terrio. It's a testament to how desperate the DCEU guys were that they hired on Joss Whedon to save their skins with JL; but he only wrote the screenplay, not the actual story, which apparently Snyder also had a hand in. From what I hear, didn't do them much good....

No, I'm not too worried, at least with Terrio around we can expect more SW action and CGI, at least.

9. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    The director approves the script. And Snyder came up with the story.

10. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    No, he was hired to rewrite it after Goyer left. Initially, Goyer was the only writer for BvS, just like he was for MoS.

11. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    And how much for a free hand did he have rewriting. Not much as DCEU in general and Snyder in particular have their vision.

12. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Precisely and I also couldn't help but notice Snyder actually had little to do with Wonder Woman, it being actually directed by Patty Jenkins and his being a 1/3 of the group who made its basic story, hence why it appears to be the least sucky movie of the DCEU.

I reiterate, I don't think Terrio's been the problem.

13. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    What on earth could Kathy be seeing in this guy

14. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    I don't know, but the script for Man of Steel is nowhere near as bad as the one for BvS.
    Look, we don't know what happens behind the scenes, but judging by credited works, Terrio is Akiva Goldsman 2.0.

15. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    'Come on, let's keep a little optimism here.'

Regarding his 'horrible DCEU works,' I'm almost positive we haven't seen anything that's been pure 100% Terrio. I barely noticed any differences between the MoS/BvSM styles of writing. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't start from scratch with Goyer's BvS work; Could even be that Terrio was responsible for whatever little good was in the movie itself.

Plus JJ's coming back for IX. So it's not like we'll be getting 100% Terrio, anyway, I expect they'll collaborate but Terrio should get that JJ started this and should finish it.

Finally, his style could very well fit SW better than DCEU, if applied correctly.

Optimism, people.

RKR and The Legions of Lettow like this.
  16. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    @Leoluca Randisi, I'm not insinuating that at all. And I'm sure Kasdan is very relieved that Lucasfilm righted the ship with bringing in Ron Howard but a major factor that led to the change was Kasdan's constant complaining to Lucasfilm about what was happening during the production. It wasn't a fun experience for him and one that I'm sure he does not want to experience again and whose to say it won't with all the new directors Lucasfilm plans to bring in for future Star Wars movies? But it's a moot point, as Kasdan is apparently retiring anyway.

17. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    THE LAST SKYWALKER FILM????????????

Anakin said no one could kill a Jedi.

oncafar likes this.
  18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Is a lack of CGI a complaint in a SW film? These newer films have just as much, or more, as the prequels.

19. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    For me, it totally is. And they definitely don't. I don't care for numbers used, it's about the aesthetic and actually FEELING you're in a galaxy far, far away.

People get all hung-up about realism and necessity and practical effects and blah, blah, blah, never mind the fact that we are wasting valuable resources on a movie not everyone's guaranteed to like.

Part of what got me reeled in by the PT and thus into the OT were the alien visuals which I wouldn't be able to find on Earth in some remote place. The ST has been subdued, RO was a little better but only by so much. Even the OT which didn't have much in the way of CGI itself did better at creating more alien environments for one thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jakku relied on wreckage that was CGI, not exactly exotic. Starkiller was okay. Hosnian Prime was barely there and even then felt pretty meh.

Crait and Cantonica are all right, but only barely. And the inside of the Supremacy didn't count for me.

Plus if they expect Ep. IX to be the War to End All Wars, that translates to me as something on par with Ep. III/Ep. II or RO. They NEED heavy amounts of CGI to top those; Examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't care what anybody else says, the PT brought the WARS to STAR WARS. I can't say the ST has been doing much to illustrate that point, the TFA was a good START, but TLJ just felt....I dunno, lacking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What you see was basically the scope of the battles themselves, barely any bigger or lengthier.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The amount of CGI in the film has nothing to do with Chris Terrio. Moving on.

21. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Fine. But the movie called Star Wars should feel more Wars-y, less of a Resistance/Rebellion; That ship sailed a long time ago, fun while it lasted but they are milking it dry.

Literally. Ugh...I'll never un-see that.

KSennia likes this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Again, this is not the thread for this.

23. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Something Terrio should take into consideration, no?

The DCEU has been banking toward a CGI world. Whether that translates over, we'll see.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  24. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Mixed thoughts on Terrio because Argo was great, but his Batman stuff is horrible.

Should be Kasdan. I'm also a Lindelof fan (the Leftovers is incredible)

25. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    After 'The Book of Henry' and a second viewing of 'Jurassic World' where I took note of how he handled his female characters...I'm glad Trevorrow is off the project.