main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2018 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2018.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Welcome to the 2018 Fitness Goals thread! As with every reiteration of this thread, we talk about what we are doing fitness-wise and support each other.

Rules:

1. Talk about what you are doing fitness-wise and support each other.
    2. This may be the one place on the YJCC where “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all” applies.
    3. Nobody is allowed to die this year so if that’s your only goal, take it to the thread that DANNASUK started about the ways we’ll all die this year.

If I’m going to die this year, I’m going to die in shape, so let’s proceed.

I did a two-mile “commitment run” this morning to start the year off. I’ve been running every day since Thanksgiving, even if I only run a mile before work, and I want to keep that up, plus add a minimum one-minute plank every day. My overall mileage goal this year is 1000. If I can get to 2018 kilometers for 2018, I’ll be thrilled.

As of now I’m signed up for a 4-miler on Super Bowl Sunday, a 4-miler at the end of March (basketball themed), and a 10K in April.

I lost 10 pounds on Weight Watchers from September to Thanksgiving and I’ll probably reboot that to lose 5-10 more pounds.

Good luck everyone with whatever your goals are!

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    So last year started well with weight loss and a general improvement in overall approach to health which by april/may fell to the wayside as I prepared for my holiday to Dominican republic and started and continued to drink rum.

I have no holidays abroad this year and whilst I lost a little weight last year I have already packed the remain ing Christmas booze away and the weekly meal plan now has 2 days a week meat free rather than none.

I have a regular booking for badminton every other week with my daughter too so again I am aiming for a solid start which this year I hope to maintain.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Last couple of years I've started out so well with working out and losing weight, but falter after a few months. I've still lost some weight but not nearly as much as I should have. So my main goal for this year is to keep at it and not quit, and to develop a consistent work out schedule.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Running season is over, so I've been hiking in the woods. Kneedeep snow is a high-resistance workout.

5. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Since there's still a few inches of snow on the ground and it was 3 degrees out this morning, I started my 2018 off the best way possible: on the treadmill for 4 miles (I honestly can't do more than that on it). Running in 2018 can only go uphill from here.

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Goals are simply to stretch and walk more, be as positive as possible while moving back into a greener diet.
    The same as last year really.

7. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Long story short: by 2010 I was depressed and weighed 370 pounds. By summer of 2015 I had gotten over my depression and went all the way down to 248. Then my dad got sick and died, and it just messed me up. This year started out well but I kinda fell off the wagon and had a knee operation and after that Hurricane Maria hit us (I live in Puerto Rico).

I weighed myself today and Im at 277. No more. My plan is to go back to calorie counting, no more sodas, limit eating out in restaurants and drinking. I talked to my personal trainer and I start with him once again tomorrow. Im hitting the gym at 9AM. Knee still hurts a bit but I can manage if Im careful. My proposal for this year is to lose the 30 pounds Ive gained in the past 2 years.

8. Yoda's_Roomate

Feb 8, 2000
    I think my biggest issue will be when I go out with friends, because most of the time that means food and alcohol

Tython Awakening likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Have you told your friends about your plans to get in shape? Good friends will understand that and help you when you go out. If they were my friends, they probably wouldn't be all warm cuddles and loving support, more like good-natured slams and mockery, expecting retorts in kind, but it's all in good fun.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I had thought that alcohol was my issue; when I started Weight Watchers, I discovered that it wasn’t alcohol, because with rare exceptions, I only drink beer and wine (5 and 4 points respectively). Sweets, and carbs in general, were a bigger issue for me (one candy bar, even a Three Musketeers which is supposed to be lower in fat, is 13 points).

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide; you’ll have to find a plan that works for you and that’s definitely not the same for everyone.

11. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    My fitness goals for 2018 is working on more strength training. I really only like running and I abhor any squats or lifting any weights. I would like to learn to like lifting weights. I would like to work on not having seconds at dinner and not drinking so much coke.

12. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Running people, are you guys using any apps to log your runs? I have a fitbit and use the Nike app but I kind of hate that app, and my fitbit seems to lump my runs in with the rest of my daily walking and stuff. I kind of suck at technology.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The move to suburbia in 2015 has resulted in my gaining 20-25 lbs. which may not seem like much but I am entirely unadjusted to carrying any extra weight after a life of being built like K-2S0.

My daughter and I are both enrolled in krav maga courses but I am considering taking up boxing, again, as it had me in the best shape of my life when I was active in glove fighting.

14. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    I always use the Nike app, but I think that it isn't always accurate so I have been searching for a better app too.

15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Strava is a pretty popular app for logging and tracking runs. Not sure exactly how you sync runs to it but I would imagine that the Nike app would work with it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I use the activity app with my Apple Watch, but I know a lot of people who use Strava and like it.

17. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'll check out Strava, thanks guys. Also yeah jackalopes, I use a tredmill and the Nike app hates it. I have to go back and edit every run afterwards and it bugs out whenever I do that :/

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  18. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I have not gotten to a 5 minute mile time sadly, but as of January 1, 2018, I can now run a 5:13 mile.

19. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    gonna lose 5 kg and build some muscle. i used to love strength training but quit for whatever reason. i'm not gonna make it out to be a ny resolution or anything tho. it has more to do with me moving and starting to live with two friends who are active and great motivators. not making it a jan 1st kinda thing. i'll get started when i'm done with the move and can sign up for a new gym.

cubman987 , tom, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  20. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I just want to find time to ride my mountain bike each day for 30 minutes

21. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Other than brief binges in the wake of my step dad and then mom's deaths, I've never had an issue w/weight. I inherited my dad's one good quality (height; 6'2) and the metabolism of my mom's side. Combined w/a love of sports and a job that sees me consistently log 20,000+ steps per shift, I actually have to eat to keep weight on (currently at 178).

My bigger concern is actual health. As I near my mid 40s (44 in May *gulp*), I want to feel my best as much or more than look my best. We all have certain health time bombs built into our DNA, but that doesn't mean we need to light the fuse. I have to get a health evaluation every year as part of my health insurance (or face a small hike in my premium). The results don't impact the insurance at all, but they serve to give you a baseline on your health. Four years running I've been in the green on every health metric and have improved those #'s each year. My goal is to keep that trend up.

22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, with a thousand life changes to blame (sold a home, bought a home, had twins - just to name three), I fell off the wagon pretty hard last year. Extensive eating out (and the lack of portion control that brings) was one of the major factors, though stress-induced eating and a period of PPND-induced lack of physical exercise didn't help. I started the year with my health goals right in front of me and doing well - I was in the best shape of my life. I ended 2017 on medication as my doctor and I try to reverse course on Pre-Diabetes and try to stave off an actual diagnoses.

So, 2018 is all about a return to the basics, and a holistic view of my health.

Goals I Control Include:

• Minimum of a 4x30 weekly exercise routine - meaning minimum of 4 sessions per week at a minimum of 30 minutes per session
    • Strict adherence to my Nutritional Lifestyle
    • Limiting myself to no more than one serving of soda per month (I should say zero, but I know I can't go cold turkey)
    • Tracking my mood on a daily basis to view trends in mental health (I downloaded an app called Daylio to help with this)
    • Spending more time with activities that matter (Reading, Personal Development, Family time) and less time with activities that don't (binging mindless TV, being upset over sports results)
    • Talking about my emotional state with people I trust

Goals I Influence, but ultimately don't control, include:

• Being taken off of Metformin due to testing showing my blood sugar in an acceptable range before an honest diagnoses of Diabetes
    • Losing 15 lbs by June, and 25 by EOY

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004

seriously though, winter is always very rough for me when it comes to getting any exercise. i do at least play basketball once a week when the local high school has open gym but i need to find something else. i also need to eat out a lot less and focus on cooking healthy meals at home. i'm not in the worst shape though, mostly just trying to maintain where i'm at.

mrsvos, Guidman , Juliet316 and 3 others like this.
  24. Yoda's_Roomate

Feb 8, 2000
    First day back at the gym with my trainer. He took me to task. Did a 2 hour workout. I have started using My Fitness Pal app again to count calories. For now I just want to limit myself to no more than 2k calories. Im dead tired but I feel good.

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    My Fitness pal is fantastic. Started using it when I got serious about my health.