main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Last Jedi Discussion Thread - **UNTAGGED SPOILERS WITHIN**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Hmmm...but Finn himself is awkward, too. He's spent only a couple of days as an actual person...right?

Sith-I-5, Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I love Rose! I thought she was a very strong character, but not afraid to show her emotions. Her sister just died but instead of it pulling her down, it makes her want to fight harder. She had a huge case of hero worship for Finn going on, but as soon as she realizes he's deserting, she does what she'd do to anyone, she was going to turn him in.
    She realizes he's not who she thought he was, but at the same time he is. He is a hero, he just doesn't know it yet.

3. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    I liked Rose too. :) Sure, she made some miscalculations and some decisions that turned out okay but might not have. But I think that can be said of all the main characters in TLJ. No one was perfect or all-knowing, and really that seemed to be part of the theme anyway. As for her being awkward, I think there are far worse things to be. It's nice to have a variety of different personalities; that's one thing that I enjoyed about the OT that I think did carry over in the sequel trilogy. I guess everyone's mileage may vary, though! [face_dunno]I don't think I really ship her with Finn at this point, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to see more of her in the next film. She definitely has a hero worship thing, but those fade in time. (Just remember how Luke was about Leia in ANH... though mostly we try not to. Looking for love in Alderaan places and all that. :p )

4. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    I found her decision to save Finn at the end bewildering. I mean, I get that she wanted to save him, but it was at the expense of everyone in the resistance base, which just just seems like such a weird decision for her to make. Especially given that her sister sacrificed herself for the resistance. If Luke hadn't appeared she would have been directly responsible for everyone's death.

5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Maybe she saved him BECAUSE of her sister’s death? She couldn’t protect her sister and Rose couldn’t bear to lose another person she’d grown fond of. It was a close parallel to what happened to her sister in terms of being a climactic suicide run. And without Luke it would have been a short reprieve anyway; the Resistance was vastly outnumbered. He bought them time to get out.

I just think it’s crazy that the entire Resistance fits in the Falcon.

mavjade , Kahara, Lady_Misty and 2 others like this.
  6. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    *Poe runs up falcons ramp.
    "It's bigger on the inside!"
    *David Tennant looks up from controls.
    "I love it when people say that."

mavjade , jcgoble3, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, after all the support ships were destroyed, and then the flagship was split up onto a few dozen (I forget exactly how many) transport ships and the majority of those were destroyed, I can believe that everyone left fits on the Falcon.

The First Order has brought the Resistance to its knees, but I have a feeling that in Episode IX, all of those other Resistance cells that never came to their aid in TLJ will finally rise up and unite to overthrow the First Order.

Lady_Misty and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    Probably they decide to support the Resistence, after the deeds of Luke on Salt Planet inspires them to act.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  9. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Were there other Resistance cells? I got the feeling that Leia was it, a tiny band of freedom fighters receiving illicit under-the-table support from the lawful government. Of course, with the destruction of the Hosnian system by terrorists, perhaps there will be a gathering and an resistance by the systems that are left. It does seem as if TFA and TLJ take place within less than a month. By the time of Ep 9, the news will probably have spread through the different systems that make up the Republic.

10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, a significant part of TLJ dealt with the Resistance sending out a distress signal to those other cells and waiting for aid to arrive. Of course, it never did, leading to so much of the Resistance being destroyed that everyone left could fit on the Falcon.

11. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    I think (much as I loved TLJ) that the galaxy around the central plot hasn't been well explained. JJ gave us kind of a vague sense of things but nothing to tell us how the resistance fits into everything. In my own headcanon I think the republic saw the rise of the FO but wasn't able to do anything about it, so Leia left and formed her own resistance group which is passively supported by the Republic but not officially condoned.

I'll admit it doesn't weave perfectly into the story and I'm sure one or more of the new novels contradicts me but it's how I got JJ's galaxy to work inside my head.

Gamiel and Mistress_Renata like this.
  12. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I dare you to turn this post into a crackfic. [face_laugh]

13. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    So I recently watched a video on YouTube about why Canto Bight is important and he said that the events that happened there changed Finn and his perspective on everything. Finn in the beginning of TLJ is focused only on Rey and doesn’t care about the rest of the galaxy, and he’s been sheltered by the First Order, he is more than willing to screw them over, as we saw in TFA, for Rey. Canto Bight and Rose’s story and her saying that freeing the faithers(sp?) was worth it;; not the destruction they caused but freeing the oppressed and abused and giving those children hope.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Gamiel likes this.
  14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    If the purpose of the Canto Bight scene was to show growth with Finn then we shouldn't have to go to YouTube to figure out what was important about the scene. Maybe they should be a little less subtle. I am not saying it shouldn't have been in the movie...I just think maybe some editing should be done. I am assuming DJ will show up in the future and that is also why we have the Canto Bight scene. Right now I am withholding judgement until I see the last movie. I am hoping all of these things will eventually add up. What I will be upset about is if the Canto Bight scene was put in just to sell a novel. If you are adding scenes to a movie to sell books the movie won't be good. It will be disjointed.

Gamiel and Lady_Misty like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    DJ is such a meh character. :(

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    He was the ST version of Lando turning Han and Leia over to the Empire. Except he is less likable than Lando. Also Lando tried to minimize the damage by bargaining for Leia and Chewie's lives. And when things went sideways he became the good guy. This might happen with DJ, but right now he is just a jerk.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That's what I thought, too...but Lando is...Lando!

Kahara and BookExogorth like this.
  18. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Lando seemed to be blackmailed or caught between a rock and a hard place where the Empire was concerned while DJ seems to be in it for himself and more than willing to swap sides depending on where the wind is blowing.what's the most profitable.

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I missed some of the movie when I went to the bathroom, so somebody clear this up for me. Did DJ get caught by the First Order and then betrayed Finn and Rose or did he send a message to the First Order prior to getting caught? If he was captured then doing what he needs to do to survive is understandable...but if he secretly sent a message to the First Order prior to capture...well then he is a villain.

20. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    They were caught together but he threw Finn and Rose under the bus and told the First Order that the Resistance was fleeing their ship for the planet below and got paid for it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That is dirty, but not really evil. After all, he saved them in the first place. He did throw the resistance under the bus.

Gamiel likes this.
  22. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    Some one help me out here. We’re the dice real or part of Luke’s force projection?

23. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007

Seeing that they vanished at the end they had to be a Force Projection since if they were really there they would have remained.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

24. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    I was thinking about it the other day and the interesting part would be when they disappeared, well after Luke drops his force projection and maybe even close to when he becomes one with the force. It is one of the subtleties that Johnson had in that scene

Kahara likes this.
  25. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    There really were dice (ok, technically they were chance cubes) hanging in the millennium falcon. As I understand it, it was an in-joke because Harrison Ford was in Lucas’s “American Grafitti”. I liked the idea that he brought the projection of the dice to Leia I thought it was sweet and showed that he really did care about her and the loss she had (they both had) suffered when Han died.

Kahara, Ewok Poet and nancipants like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.