main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond between Poe and Finn

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CosmicDust, Jan 2, 2018.

1. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    From the Finalizer to salty planet of Crait, Finn and Poe have experienced a lot together in TFA and TLJ. Will they continue to develop into an even stronger bond in Episode IX?

mlsw likes this.
  2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    It's funny to me that Poe was more excited to see BB-8 alive than Finn and Rose.

3. Instant Force Talk

Instant Force Talk Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2017
    This is one of those things that have me feel glad that I may never encounter a Japanese fangirl's version of this answer. Because if given the chance, they will create a "Poe x Finn" story. Much like there might be "Han x Luke" and "Anakin x Obi-Wan" dojinshi out there. Something I now hope to never see within my days as a sane person.

DARTH FATHEAD likes this.
  4. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    I wonder if Poe will face some difficulties in future leadership in the Resistance after the hyperspace tracking, the failed code breaker mission, and Finn's past as a stormtrooper.

@Instant Force Talk Do you mean because Finn/Poe would be a same-sex pairing or is dojinshi something specific?

5. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017

Why would Poe face any difficulties? The tracking of the Fleet was not his fault, in fact the did everything in his power to disable it by allowing Finn and Rose time to try and breach the system. The code breaker mission was a mission of opportunity and desperation while the plan wasn’t completely thought out it was a success if only to show that in the stables of Canto Bight the Resistance lives.

Finally Finn’s past will not effect, Finn, Poe or any other person. General Leia Organa calls him a hero in TFA, Poe thanks him for “completing his mission” in TFA. In TLJ Paige and Rose Tico looked at him as a hero. Finn has literally overcome a great many odds to be where he is, how could anyone in the Resistance think otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  6. Instant Force Talk

Instant Force Talk Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2017
    Dojinshi are fan-made manga made by fans. Neither flimsy nor random as a DC or Marvel comic. An elegant-ish item for a more discreet fanbase. For as long as it existed, fans used it as a means of creating their own works or creating things other want to see. Before the dark times. Before the "Luke x Han" theme.

CosmicDust likes this.
  7. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    I don't mean to say the failed codebeaker was Poe's fault or anything (I don't particularly care for that debate, it's very tedious imho), but rather that TLJ hinted that not everyone in the Resistance sees Finn as a heroic figure.

Holdo flippantly called Finn a stormtrooper (just before Poe turns the blaster on her and declares mutiny) while Rose idealized him. Even Leia, when she first meets Finn, she wants him to tell her everything he knows about the First Order. She doesn't see him in a bad light, but his past as a trooper is still something people take important notice of in the Resistance. It means many things to different people. (I don't remember Paige having an opinion on Finn, is this from books, comics, etc?)

Since the Resistance has so few people now that they can all fit in the Falcon and that's partly because of the hyperspace tracker, people might wonder how that happened. In panic, they might be quick to blame Finn if people like Holdo thought him just a stormtrooper. Since a trooper saving a pilot is a bit extraordinary, on top of the defection, it's all unheard of. It can all be used to paint a narrative against him if people were scared enough and wanted to scapegoat something to conceptualize all the tragedy in TLJ.

So, with all that in mind-- what I meant for Poe in my first comment -- he trusts Finn and Finn trusts him, as we've seen with Poe agreeing to the Canto Bight mission, Finn giving Poe the beacon to Rey, and everything in TFA. I feel like it's safe to speculate that if Poe gets promoted back to Commander or a higher position, people would like having him as their leader, but being so close to Finn might complicate matters since not everyone has warmed up to him like Poe, Rose, and Leia within the Resistance and they may not be inclined to after TLJ.

lol Thanks! I get what you mean now. (I'm so used to being trolled every time when the topic of Finn and Poe or Finn/Poe comes up that I had to make sure.)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  8. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I know Daniel Craig was in TFA, but I just don't see Bond coming between Poe and Finn.
    (Sorry... I'll stop now.)

yanote and Darkspellmaster like this.
  9. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    I posted these in the Sequel Trilogy forum, but it's just me interested in that thread (the last comment was my speculating about Finn and Poe in TLJ lol), so I'll repost where the discussion is! :p It's romance heavy.

Their themes as a cool little duet in Jedi Steps at the end of TFA. Sounds pretty cool. :)

Their reunion song in TFA sounds a bit like a combination on their themes, too.

Even though I did not get to hear their themes having that sort of duet like in TLJ, I really loved what happened with them!

I'm still rooting for them, and between all their little moments like Finn trusting Poe with the beacon to Rey, Poe trusting Finn with the mission to dismantle the hyperspace tracker, BB-8 telling Poe that Finn's awake with "Finn? Naked? Leaking bag? leaps out of X-Wing" and this cute pic, I'm a happy camper. :) I loved the little angst of Poe hearing through the communication line that Phasma had captured Finn, and he thought he and Rose were likely dead until they showed up on Crait.

[​IMG]

10. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I ship Poe and bb-8.
    BB-8 had him at "hola"

11. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Hahahaaa!!

12. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    I noticed that some argue Rian Johnson must have been awful at writing Finn and Poe together if he couldn't find conflict between them, but imho, I don't think there is any possible way to keep Poe and Finn in character and have Poe give Finn the same shove in the right direction that Rose gave him. Poe is too considerate and attuned to Finn's feelings, in particular his anxieties and point of view as a trooper.

Consider these quotes from TFA's novelization about their first meeting. I underlined significant moments where Poe is sympathizing with Finn in the kinds of ways that made Poe problematic to Finn's arc in TLJ. Especially since they likely knew each other here for no more than 15 minutes or so. I also underlined moments where Poe's compassion and concerted effort to see Finn's view made Finn calm down and comfortable, opening himself to sharing his worries with Poe. Also, there is a moment where Poe is more selfish and doesn't take Finn's worries into consideration by turning back to attack the Finalizer. There is narration where Poe tries to justify to himself why turning back is worth it despite Finn's anxieties. I underlined and bolded a moment where IMHO Poe has reached an even deeper moment of understanding for Finn. He isn't just sympathizing with Finn in this moment, but grew to understand what kind of person Finn is at his core.

IMHO, if everything was in character, Finn would have just explained himself to Poe and Poe could have comforted him. It'd take a simple conversation and they'd just start having an action/adventure mission. As we see in TLJ, Poe is the only person Finn really feels comfortable with sharing his worries about Rey's safety, and he eventually trusts Poe with Rey's safety by giving him the beacon. Also, Poe continues to show extra consideration for Finn by giving him clothes, trusting him with the hyperspace tracker mission, taking the beacon to Rey very seriously. Poe feels the gravity of what it means to meet Rey when he seeks her out on the Falcon and says "I know."

That's my take on why Poe didn't go to Canto Bight. :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think it’s just a very good friendship

14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Also, what the hell did he tried to do with it?
    Was he cuddling like people cuddle dogs?
    It's made of metal you genius!

PendragonM, 11-4D and Darkspellmaster like this.
  15. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    The reunion was really adorable. Poe thought they were all possibly dead after Phasma captured Finn and Holdo flying into the Supremacy during hyperspace. Finn and Rose revealed themselves in the freighter but BB-8 was nowhere to be found.

By the way, feel free to discuss Finn and Poe from any angle, friendship, romance, etc. I know these threads tend to focus mainly on romance, but that doesn't mean they have to, so feel free to discuss the bond however you see it. :)

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  16. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
  17. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    I liked the interview (I think the BAFTA one?) where he's doing a serious answer and then randomly drops in, "Look, it was a little difficult to see my man kiss somebody else, but, you know, you gotta give up control… you got to watch some stuff you don't want to watch some times." lol

Rey and Finn will appear in issue 27 of the Poe Dameron comic! Maybe there will be some fun Finn and Poe interactions.

[​IMG]
    Poe Dameron managed to escape the First Order – but only just! Meanwhile, the rest of Black Squadron is on their most daring mission yet. Follow everyone's favorite Resistance crew as Poe Dameron tells Rey and Finn his adventures during the events of The Force Awakens![2]

Finn appears on some art for issue 26.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    @CosmicDust

About Poe's theme what I find interesting is that Binary Sunset plays on it.

here from 1'19''

Binary Sunset is the Force Theme.
    So I don't know how to take it... also because it doesn't play in the movie during Poe's scenes.

But we hear Luke's theme (= the main SW theme) when Finn saves him and Poe say "I can fly anything"
    and later on during the finale assault to the SK base.

About the cominc, my take is that they are going to use it to re-tell some facts/events we know about
    but the characters don't.

If we really think about it, the 3 of them had not chance to put the pieces together.

Poe doesn't know how BB8 met Rey and how Finn met BB8 and Rey.
    Finn doesn't know exactly what happened to Poe after the crash (we know by other canon material).
    So does Rey and she probably believed Poe to be dead before meeting him in the Falcon.
    I think Finn doesn't even know the "one hella of a pilot" on Takodana was Poe.
    And sure he doesn't know what happened after between the SK base and TLJ opening.

So I think they're going to use the comic like that... it won't anticipate nothing from ep. IX
    It will be the "how we meet each other-serie"

19. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    @CosmicDust

About Poe's theme what I find interesting is that Binary Sunset plays on it.
    Here from 1'19''

Binary Sunset is the Force Theme.
    So I don't know how to take it... also because it doesn't play in the movie during Poe's scenes.

But we hear Luke's theme (= the main SW theme) when Finn saves him and Poe say "I can fly anything"
    and later on during the finale assault to the SK base.

About the cominc, my take is that they are going to use it to re-tell some facts/events we know about
    but the characters don't.

If we really think about it, the 3 of them had not chance to put the pieces together.

Poe doesn't know how BB8 met Rey and how Finn met BB8 and Rey.
    Finn doesn't know exactly what happened to Poe after the crash (we know by other canon material).
    So does Rey and she probably believed Poe to be dead before meeting him in the Falcon.
    I think Finn doesn't even know the "one hella of a pilot" on Takodana was Poe.
    And sure he doesn't know what happened after between the SK base and TLJ opening.

So I think they're going to use the comic like that... it won't anticipate nothing from ep. IX
    It will be the "how we meet each other-serie"

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    CosmicDust likes this.
  20. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    Has anyone checked out the novelization extended version? I really loved the extra scene where Poe gave Finn the jacket and you have the adrenaline junkie Poe awkwardly pulling out the jacket and apologizing for his sewing skills. We had it from Finn's point of view where he feels guilty that he's going to disappoint Poe because he hasn't fully committed to the Resistance, feels like a terrible person about it, but he can tell that Poe thinks highly of him/has been nothing but kind. That's kind of what I want for them if they were romantic. Finn being a grounding force for Poe for a life outside of the cockpit and for Poe to be someone Finn can relax around. haha They aren't quite there yet but I feel like it the IX goes that root, TLJ laid out a pretty sweet foundation.

On a side note, I always felt like Rose was sort of the "anti-Poe" in the sense that-- what Poe would do in a certain situation, Rose would do the opposite, and vice versa, particularly in their reactions to how Finn regards Rey. In the novel, it was interesting to see Poe ask for the beacon. When Finn hesitates, Rose forces Finn's hand and belittles his worries for Rey (and she's overall.... insufferably jealous of Finn's non-existent feelings for Rey; I'm so glad that wasn't included in the movie, it's borderline character assassination for Rose lol). But when Rose said that, it seemed like everything dawned on Poe-- how Rose and Finn met, why it's so difficult for Finn to give the beacon, etc, and he's once again a stabilizing force for Finn, saying all the right things that Finn needs to hear in order to relax and feel all right.

It's also kinda cool because I felt like that came across perfectly in the movie's beacon scene, even though the step-by-step actions are different. Poe doesn't even ask for the beacon but Finn gives it to him, and it's all wordless, just meaningful looks.

Enduring Rose's jealousy in this novel also makes me really, really, reaallly appreciate how Poe respects Finn and Rey's friendship so much that he's EXCITED to meet Rey, and the fond "I know" links it back to Finn. I haven't hit that part yet in the novelization, but I deeply respect Poe now. lol There's another with Poe thinking fondly that everyone seems to know how to pilot but Finn, even C-3PO could fly better than him... and meanwhile Rose makes an escape pod jab and is taking the most abrasive approach to Finn's accidental piloting. It all just sticks out to me since Rose is the one with the explicit crush and kisses him, and yet she treats Finn like crud, and meanwhile Poe is acing the trust building exercises. Like a galactic tortoise and the hare race, with the finish line being a happily ever after with Finn. lol

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  21. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    @CosmicDust First I have a question... is there anything about Shara and about that ring?

Because, what really makes me think is that... I don't understand why they killed the character
    if that is not going to be addressed by the movies.

Sure, we know about her death and about the ring (that we see in TLJ but with not explanation/purpose
    in the movie) only because of other things we read.

However, the decision to kill the character was made long ago.
    When not TFA was filmend and TLJ written.

And I just don't think you kill off a character to justify a prop we only see in a movie, even more
    so if the same movie doesn't use that prop in a meaningful way...

That said...
    I don't 100% understand. My fault, I think I'm not that fluent... can you try again, please?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  22. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    I remember Poe mentioned his parents very briefly in passing, but I don't remember anything about the ring or a poignant moment about his parents. There's still another movie, so who knows. :) I wonder if Kes Dameron is one of the allies that responds to Leia's message, and part of the final battle between the FO and the Resistance takes place on Yavin IV or with former fighters from the Rebellion/Alliance.
    my bad xD hopefully this is clearer!

Poe asks for the beacon and Finn doesn't reply. Internally, Finn has a little dilemma because he's associated the beacon with Rey's best chance at survival. He's still processing waking up after Kylo Ren's attack and not knowing what happened to Rey. He sort of needs to see to believe that Rey is okay, so he really doesn't want to give away the beacon. As Finn hesitates to reply to Poe, Rose interjects and tell Finn to kind get over himself and just hand the beacon over. She says a jealousy tinged comment about Rey, thinking Finn not surrendering the beacon is romantically motivated. Observing Finn and Rose's exchange, Poe pieces together how they met and why Finn hesitated over giving him the beacon. Then he explains why it's best for Finn to give him the beacon. It's saving not only Rey's life but countless lives in the Resistance. He soothes away Finn's worries a bit, getting at the heart of what is making Finn so hesitant, and gains Finn's trust.

It seemed to me that the point of the scene is mainly getting to that point -- Finn not only giving Poe the beacon, but them achieving that degree of trust and for it be unspoken. It's the commonality between the movie and the novel even if the actual play by play in conveying that is different.

dragonchic and mlsw like this.
  23. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    I hope we get another scene of Poe and Finn fighting side by side.

Them in the TIE at the start of TFA is still a favorite scene of mine. If a couple of my friends and I were flying starfighters and manning gun turrets we’d be yelling and cheering and showboating like they were. Felt natural

CosmicDust likes this.
  24. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    The deleted scene between Finn and Poe with the jacket looks so much like the hallway scene on Hoth between Han and Leia, two emotional scenes with the pairs saying how they care while not saying it. Meanwhile, a bunch of people keep walking by and bumping into them both. Someone even bumps into Poe and says hey like with Han. lol I liked how Finn and Poe seem overly aware of how close yet not touching they are at times. :)

I kind of like that it was deleted though so Finn and Poe are uniquely Finn/Poe. Plus Finn/Poe and Han/Leia got intense parallels in TFA for purely Sequel Trilogy moments. If they're meant to be a romance, I like that there aren't call backs to previous trilogies.

There's some clips floating around for the scene, but the complete scene is over a minute long or maybe two minutes. I forget but it's neither long nor short. lol

25. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I really wish that scene had been in the movie. But I love anything with Finn and Poe.

CosmicDust likes this.