main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2018.
  1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    46.8%
  3. I don't have a answer now.

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Oh god that makes me feel so old.

Also, spoilers: the book is way less about Phasma than it is about the new characters introduced in the book.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Oh wow that was an exciting time! I remember getting the VHS of the SW re-release just before the Special Editions (circa 1996?) and watching them over and over. The inserts in the movies had ads for the Corellian Trilogy and other novels and I was so excited. And that excitement for the future of Star Wars lasted mostly till 2016. I was disappointed by 7, but loved Rogue One. But once I saw 8... well, I still have my old books, comics, games etc to go back to.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    my interest in the EU nosedived in 1999 only to be brought back a few years later and then to nosedive again in 2006 and come back c. 2008-2009 and then nosedive again in 2012 although I think I kept posting here mostly for certain threads

4. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I was big on Star Wars throughout the 90s. X-wing was one of the first video games I ever owned, and it was actually the very early DH run of Star Wars comics (DE, TOTJ, and XWRS) that got me into reading comics in the first place. By the end of the Bantam run I kind of drifted away from Star Wars (though the end of Bantam/start of the NJO/TPM really had nothing to do with it), though I do have very strong memories of Luke's engagement to Mara being Very Big News.

I remember seeing AOTC in theaters after several years removed from the EU and afterwards digging out my Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels to see if those ships at the end of the movie were supposed to be Victory Star Destroyers. But it was the trinity of Shatterpoint, the Republic Clone Wars comics, and the Tartakovsky microseries that got me back into Star Wars around 2003/4.

spicer likes this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    the NJO got me back into Star Wars and the EU leading up to Attack of the Clones

but the first time I saw Star Wars was the 1990 VHS release

The first book I read was Glove of Darth Vader, which I got because my older cousin had Heir to the Empire. I read that series and then moved onto the Bantam novels. Never played X-Wing but had Dark Forces, Super Star Wars, Super The Empire Strikes Back, and Super Return of the Jedi, and SOTE and Rogue Squadron

I've pretty much experienced every "controversial" new story and people always have conniptions about them, including myself for Legacy of the Force.

But I'm still here!

Edit: Something I've imagined since before the ST is if I had a DeLorean DMC-12 with flux capacitor and Mr. Fusion and could go back in time to my younger self reading Dark Empire II #4 (the one with the cool Boba Fett cover)
    [​IMG]

And show my ten year old self Episodes I-III and now VII and VIII and how stoked I'd be by that at that age.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My interest in Star Wars nosedived in the years after Return of the Jedi. For someone who wanted more about the post-ROTJ universe, or the Jedi, or the SW galaxy itself, Lucas seemed more interested in telling us more about Ewoks than any sane person would care to know.

What I wanted was a map of the Star Wars galaxy. And a rich detailed history. Oh, and more about my favorite movie character, Wedge. And video games where I could fly an X-Wing and use a lightsaber.

And, well... :cool:

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I honestly just don't care for the NuCanon. I know I know I have a partisan view and am not an unbiased observer.

All TLJ did was confirm the attitude and expectations I already had regarding the NuCanon.

I admit this is my personal preference and the kids growing up today will be the fans of the NuCanon and I do not begrudge them at all.

As for me the Star Wars I knew and fell in love with died in April 2014 when the old eu was declared non-Canon.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    damn dude to me you're "the zeta that actually read the books"

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Which, to be fair, makes him infinitely better than the actual Zeta - I disagree with his positions but it's his refusal to educate himself that really bothers me. People who try the new canon (or any other sweeping category of Star Wars) and decide from experience that they hate it are so much more understandable.

10. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Give it a rest dude. We all know that you don't like the NuCanon, your EU died with legends, etc. Nothing new is being brought up by saying it again.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    True, but I was more referring to the "broken record" personality trait where he keeps repeating himself even if it's a non sequitur to the ongoing discussion, which @Outsourced was less cryptic about than my zeta reference.

AV-6R7 and Outsourced like this.
  12. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    My issue with the idea of the general audience not needing to pick up a tie-in novel is that when something isn't explained in the movies, they complain about it, and it develops a mentality that if something isn't shown on screen than it doesn't count, which isn't healthy imo. What I would like to see are people accept that Star Wars is more than movies and that won't happen unless they do more direct connections to the books. I want it to be that if you are reading everything you get this grand image and that if you only watch the movies you don't.

Xander Vos likes this.
  13. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    I feel like the books and comics during the time between each prequel movie were much more meaningful and interesting.

I don’t understand why there is such a ban for the sequel trilogy especially since there were no major twists like Rey being Lukes daughter, Palpatine coming back or Snoke being Darth Plagueis or whatever. Like is Disney really going to make a movie set between 6 and 7 with Mark hamil and Harrison Ford? No of course not. So why can’t they hire some good authors and let them tell some interesting stories already like George Lucas allowed during the PT era??

Xander Vos likes this.
  14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Why do you keep bringing up bans that don't exist?

15. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Because it’s obvious when Marvel has a talented writer in a holding pattern beating around the bush with Poe tracking Max Von Sydow for 25 issues and the only novels released are character studies with vague mentions of concepts from the sequel trilogy. Like I said (and you chose to ignore) compare it with the prequel trilogy novels and comics that were coming out before and around each movie and they were significantly Meatier than anything Del Rey has put out for the ST which is a huge bummer.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  16. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    No, it isn't obvious. You're creating something out of thin air due to circumstantial evidence.

17. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have read plenty of Star Wars, I just missed out on a few key things, namely most of the Clone Wars multimedia project, TCW, and the post-NJO. I got tired of having to order books from other libraries, which is the main reason why I missed out on the multimedia project and the post-NJO, with Darth Vader II sealing the deal on avoiding the post-NJO. TCW never interested me, then I found out that it was basically the first phase of the abandonment of the EU, so I am not going anywhere near it. Sorry, I will not read a Star Wars universe where the Heroes of Yavin are complete failures, and none of the EU characters exist or are at least completely different.

18. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    To be fair I think it is pretty obvious that Disney/Lucasfilm/Del Rey/whoever are not allowing much (of substance) to be published during that time period, at this point. Whether or not you call it a "ban" is just semantics. And they did have Bloodline.

I don't see what the big deal about that is anyway. Who cares if we have to wait a few years? In the original EU The Thrawn Trilogy wasn't written until like a decade after ROTJ came out.

Which is fine, but do you have to keep whinging about it?

Xander Vos likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is the one where they could have credibility problems in future when it comes to marketing books. As just before it came out they did that whole spiel about Johnson asking for bits to be added and that in turn gave the book a boost it wouldn't have got on its own. The natural consequence of that being people wondering how it might play into Ep 8, if there'll be anything they can see the link to and so on.

.... Except the film's now out and anything that links at all to Bloodline, even the most tiny, most overlooked, not hard to incorporate piece - it ain't there, not that I can see.

Now, the book works fine as it is, it remains an excellent read, but the lack of linkage makes the whole marketing move look very strange. It's a shame, for me, the idea that they had started coordinating things to the degree suggested sounded quite, quite excellent and very smart.

20. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Yeah but it's not exactly a secret that the marketing of these books has been utter bull****.

Slapping "Journey to xxx" on every novel that has virtually nothing to do with the actual movie it's supposed to journey-ing to . . .

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    True. It's just sad, as the picture being sketched sounded so damn good and they'd proven with R1 they could actually deliver it.

In 99 out of 100 cases, I wouldn't expect anything in a book to feature in a film but, due to director involvement, this was the 100th case. And the result was... Nothin'.

22. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    With that you get things like the visual guides, Catalyst, and Bloodline which are more or less movie DLC. Want to understand what actually happened? Buy this book right now! I can't tell you how many times I've been told to read Catalyst to understand Rogue One. That is a very serious issue if I have to do outside homework to understand a movie that couldn't hold it's own.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  23. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    You don't have to read Catalyst to understand Rogue One. Anyone who said that is simply wrong. It might add a bit to the back story but nothing really special that isn't already explained in the film.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You don't. Reading it might change how you view the opening scenes or, generally, Krennic. But it's not required.

It is good though, which is why you'll have likely had recommendations to look at it.

It's also a really good example of how coordination can be done.

Xander Vos likes this.
  25. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    The movie has not changed my view on the new canon. To be perfectly honest, my decision was pretty much made before TFA came out. The Star Wars that I was invested in ended when the "Legends"-verse did, and possibly even before then. It's not about a battle that was lost, or something I even think shouldn't have happened, but it's just a fact. All those books, games, comics... that was the Star Wars I loved. The new canon, the new EU... they may be enjoyable in their own right, and I'll probably continue seeing the movies "for fun", but I've essentially disengaged myself from the franchise as a fan.

Again, there's no angst about this, it's just the way things are.

Malachi108 and Nom von Anor like this.