main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2018 Box Office Blood Ocean

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 31, 2017.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    "they deserve a ton of money because they've already made so much money" seems to perfectly summarize the philosophy behind capitalism in america.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    It sure does.

Marvel Studio bet the farm on producing Iron Man. Marvel Studio didn't have much money when they went into production with Iron Man and where still recovering from bankruptcy. People think that Marvel Studio just rolled out bed and made a billion dollar franchise. They rarely or aren't given credit for their achievement in film making.

I like a story where people bet on themselves for success.

How Marvel Risked Everything to go from Bankruptcy to Billions.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Weirdly I get the impression the two billionaires who owned Marvel at the time weren't taking much of a risk.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It wasn't the two guys' wealth they were being risked, but the life of Marvel Studios and their ownership of characters therein. Should Marvel Studios have failed, Merrill Lynch would have owned the characters and "chopped shopped" them around and the cinematic landscape would probably be very different. Point is entity of Marvel Studios bet the farm on themselves to make "a better mouse trap" and they did.

6. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    lol

tom likes this.
  7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That's the thing, though, these corporate "betting the farm" scenarios are almost always calculated risks taken against employees' livelihoods rather than a serious problem for the people making the decisions who will, ultimately, weather any potential storms, particularly in the case of a company like Marvel. It's really disingenuous to frame it as some kind of bold do or die hutzpah.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So you're saying that if Marvel Studio failed it wouldn't have impacted Marvel Entertainment, the comic book industry or the Hollywood landscape as we know it today because rich guys stay rich?

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm saying it's not under any circumstances a story where "people are betting on themselves for success" regardless of outcome or the impact it's had on the current entertainment market.

10. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I'm not sure any of the things you've listed - saving Marvel Entertainment, supposedly reinvigorating the comic book industry, or glutting the Hollywood landscape with paint-by-numbers franchise movies - are indicators that they "deserve" the highest box office take of the year.

11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    when you put it like that it's a shame marvel studio didn't fail

ninja'd

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Fair enough.

I said they planted the seeds for Infinity War ten years ago and cultivated those seeds by producing products (with left over characters) the masses like. Now, it deserves to enjoy the fruits of its labor. It's the American way.

I'm sure Jodi Foster agrees with you.

13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

"Won't somebody please of the billion dollar entertainment company!?!"

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi Struggles in China

15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    So, yeah, worst case scenario $1.3 billion worldwide if China comes in under $50 million.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Poor SW only making 1.3 billion.

BigAl6ft6 and Rylo Ken like this.
  17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The box office thread over in the movie forum has been going nuts about it for 2 weeks. A Star Wars trilogy that can't clear $5 billion worldwide is a catastrophe because of no reasons.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This is your brain on "corporations are people, my friend"

CT-867-5309 and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, it was. If I could, I would have rephrased my statement to say, "I like a story where people bet on themselves for success, in this case it's a start up corporation." I really think what Marvel Studio did was remarkable.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well-known doomed franchise the second highest grossing collection of films ever.

21. Darth Eisner

Darth Eisner Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    I don’t think Solo will be a failure. People will still see it, no matter the word of mouth. I think it’ll definitely cross the box office result of AotC, and maybe even RotS.

Sarge likes this.
  22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I mentioned this elsewhere, but in retrospect I'm surprised Disney and Lucasfilm didn't lock in Solo for early August, as both Guardians of the Galaxy and Suicide Squad performed really well in that slot. I understand the intention behind getting Star Wars back into a May release schedule, but given that Solo is such a risky proposition, and the first half of summer is so loaded with competition, putting Solo in early August would have assured it some breathing room with minimal competition. Of course, it's clearly too late to push the film back now without accumulating more negative press.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Earning roughly the same as AotC would be a disaster for Solo if the movie's budget is now north of $300 million as rumored.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    An august release would have broken their Saga-Anthology-Saga release pattern and/or required Episode VIII to be moved up or delayed.

25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm not following. Solo would still get released in 2018 in between TLJ and Episode IX.