main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2018.
  1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    46.8%
  3. I don't have a answer now.

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record. I simply have very strong opinions on the issue.

2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Ignore it, Invictus. It's a byproduct of a board where just repeating "I love it!" over and over again will give you endless pats on the back, but anything less will just earn you endless complaints of "Stop saying the same thing over and over again! :'("

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Not if you complain about LOTF

4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Very good observation. I also suspect that much of the 8 praise from some (but not all) people is due to extreme hate of the EU and prequels more than actually liking the film itself. Fear of being remotely associated with EU/prequel stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

zchmrkenhoff and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Who on the lit board hates the EU

6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm not going to name names, and I said that this was from some people, not all.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    [face_thinking]

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *twitch*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    [face_laugh]
    I feel like I've stopped!

mostly

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I mean, it's not like he's literally saying the same thing over and over again, usually without it having any relevance to the conversation or point besides saying he doesn't like anything.

That wouldn't fit with your narrative.

12. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Believe it or not, both are equally annoying, who knew?

That said, not adding anything new to the discussion will burn things out much quicker. There's only so many variations of, "I didn't like what they did to Luke!" I don't like hyperspace ramming!" and "I don't like Rey!" one cay say.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Outsourced likes this.
  13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Well, there's also only so many times TLJ can be called "nuanced", "not playing it safe" and "has great character development" also.

I guess for a new change of pace, we should just discuss upcoming material--TLJ novelization, any tie-in games etc.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    "Damn those people are enjoying TLJ, that really bothers me""

Outsourced likes this.
  15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Actually the only thing that bothers me right now is the lack of games other than freemiums or Battlefront 2. I want Knights of the New Republic, Dark Forces Jedi Knight - Jedi Survivor, and X-Wing: Black Squadron (without the stupid engine/laser/shield dynamic of the old games that ignored science for the purpose of making the game harder, not more fun).

Don't forget Star Wars: The Telltale Series, to make up for the fact that Lucasarts never game us a SCUMM Star Wars game.

Oh, and a new Skyrim type of Star Wars RPG. Just call the series Jedi Scrolls.

Yeah, I hate 7 and 8 but I'll play games based on them.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Alright, well, a lot of people enjoyed TLJ, and try to discuss it in the thread. I've been trying to discuss the score. But when the thread is constantly being derailed about bombers or Holdo it makes that really difficult to do.

I can understand why someone that likes the film would be bothered by nitpicking interrupting the thread. Less so can I understand someone who dislikes the film being annoyed by people that enjoyed it.

I mean, I've never sought out @Sinrebirth 's threads about LOTF to criticize it in them. And if I have, I'm sorry!

I've actually mellowed to it quite a bit, and there's parts of it I like, even if I feel the same way about Jacen that you do about Luke in TLJ. It is what it is.

17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I just think if it can be praised it can be criticized. You can't censor one side. Non-negotiable.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    No, but it's poor form to derail a discussion with a non sequitur criticizing the film.

Outsourced likes this.
  19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Especially when that same non sequitur has been posted several times.

20. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Derailing wasn't an issue. It was just that he said something that was said already.
    We can say that opinions should be expressed at the appropriate time but that wasn't the issue.

21. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    The lack of good SW games has been my major complaint since Disney took over.

zchmrkenhoff and AV-6R7 like this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Battlefront 2 is pretty fun

I'm somehow of an optimist though. Loot boxes suck and definitely slow progression but at least the DLC is free as a consequence

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's a pretty weak selection - two bona fide video games, and some handheld ones. That's just a consequence of handing over LucasArts' mandate to EA.

Not to say that there isn't a loophole or two - FFG apparently can make video games based upon their Star Wars licenses (and have recently started an video game division), but we're never going to see the likes of LucasArts again - because LucasArts grew up ignored by the rest of LFL since it was founded solely as a tax writeoff by Lucas. The freedom and creativity can't be duplicated currently.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  24. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I disagree, I don't believe that the movies need to stand on their own anymore, I want to see Star Wars get to the point where reading the books actually matters and that the popular opinion is no longer one of the nitpicky people who tear a movie to shreds simply because they didn't want to take the time to invest in the larger story. I want to see the overall narrative of Star Wars be a lot more fluid when it comes to all of the expanded universe stuff, and not just have the mentality of "movies only", the books are there for a reason, and in my mind, they haven't capitalized on it enough.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And this story recently made the gaming news:

http://me.ign.com/en/pc/141725/news/ea-turned-down-a-star-wars-game-from-rebel-galaxy-devs

"While it appears far less complex as the Star Wars: X-Wing games that inspired it, there's a lot to like about this unnamed game. We see the original-trilogy-era Millennium Falcon and an X-wing engage in dogfights from both third and first-person perspective, blasting away at TIE Fighters, TIE Interceptors, a Star Destroyer, and even Boba Fett's Slave-1. The concept included the ability to freely switch between ships and hyperspace-jump between areas. You can see the shared DNA with Rebel Galaxy in the interface, including the menu, the shield and radar display in the lower left, and the throttle control in the upper right. There's definitely some vertical movement, though it's not clear how much.

Even though it didn't get the go-ahead from EA, "It was still a cool demo to do," Baldree said. But all the work put into this pitch didn't go to waste: Double Damage is currently working on an unannounced space shooter, and the Star Wars demo laid the foundation for it. Based on all the aggressive teasing from the Rebel Galaxy Twitter account, this new game might have as much in common with Wing Commander as X-Wing. Check out the screens and art we've seen so far below."