main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will IX be the end of the Skywalkers?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I would entertain the possibility of Rey being revealed as a Skywalker in IX had the theme of TLJ been different. At this point, it feels like the main SW hero does not need to be a Skywalker anymore. Which is why I believe Ben Solo will also die in IX.

The Skywalker name will most likely die no matter what. If Rey is revealed to be a legacy character I believe if would make more sense making her a Solo.

2. Lady Rey

Lady Rey Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2018
    When Luke reopened his connection to the Force, he would have known if she was related to him. Snoke also says he thought "Skywalker" would be Kylo's other half, but was wrong. Rey separated herself from "Skywalker" and "Ben Solo" when confronting Snoke too. This was intentionally done to show us where Rey stood in the story, and like Kylo said, she has no place in this story. He was breaking the 4th wall to tell the audience she's not a Skywalker in the final story about the Skywalkers.

Birkendoc likes this.
  3. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Not sure I’d take meta uttered by Kylo at face value. He’s quite wrong about Rey being “nothing,” too.

The movie...does not attempt to give us much confidence in Kylo’s perspective on things, to say the least...

Mostly Handless and cut-of-space like this.
  4. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Rey is "nothing" as in she's not a name that people know. She's a nobody. She's not a Skywalker. She's not a Solo. She's from a planet that people joke is literally nowhere. All Kylo did was make her admit what she always knew. She wasted 15 years in denial, waiting for people she refused to believe abandoned her and if she'd been honest with herself, she might have had a different life.

5. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The problem is with ending the Skywalker name in the fashion this all seems to be going is that it is difficult to watch all 9 movies without it feeling like a bummer at the end. If you watch it from the standpoint that you want hope for the Skywalker family, you may as well just watch 1-6 and stop there. TFA gave many people hope that there as a good legacy character that was part of this family of focus for the last 6 movies.

JJ and Terrio will HAVE to work some magic that isn't too hokey or cheesy that makes the Skywalker family name all worthwhile since ROTJ. Right now you have Kylo Ren who is killing everyone and is a horrible evil jerk. You have Luke who sacrificed himself so that new rebels can escape but only AFTER he was isolated and a hermit for many many years (we don't even know how long) and tried to or wanted to kill his nephew for "thoughts". You have Leia who is heroic and great, but we assume she is going to pass away since Carrie tragically did. And many people think they are going to do it between movies (which I think is HORRIBLE unless they give her death meaning like sending out a transmission that leads to all worlds coming together at the end).

And the we're back to Kylo Ren who, even if he "redeems" himself, does so due to what he himself caused.

Like I said, JJ and Terrio will have to spin this so that we can see off the Skywalker family in an "aahhh hahh" type of emotional catharsis that makes everything make sense.

6. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    I've always believed Rey is a bit too genre savvy for a Star Wars movie. I mean, she's the only character who it's a big deal for it not to be a Skywalker or Solo. I mean does Poe think he's no one? Heck, Finn doesn't even care who his family is (who might very well still be alive and would love to see their son again after years of thinking they'd never see him again).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Poe was groomed and mothered by a Skywalker and you can tell he felt entitled before Holdo was announced as Leia's replacement. Rey rose to meet Kylo Ren and now she must make a name for herself, without being a chosen one like Anakin was. It makes her Anakin's opposite in the heroes journey, as well as Luke's. The same thing can be said for Ben. He is going from dark to light from within himself unlike Anakin who went from light to dark.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  8. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    Ok so, if that's how we're defining it , wouldn't Rey be a no one, even if she were a Skywalker or Solo? I mean she definitely wasn't parented or nurtured by one.

9. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    As Rian said, if Rey learned she was someone, then her path would be handed to her on silver platter. "Oh I'm a Solo! I must save my brother! It's my destiny!" "Oh I'm a Skywalker! I must defeat my cousin Kylo Ren and become the next legend!" Rey being nobody is now free to choose her path without incentive from a relationship standpoint. If she wants to save Ben, it's because she wants to and not because she has to do it. If she wants to train new Jedi, it's because she wants to, not because she has to do it. Same with Ben. Rian felt Luke and Vader being related meant redemption, and that came from Luke because Vader was his father. Kylo now has no one, same as Rey. If he becomes Ben, it's him wanting to become Ben, not because he has a sister or cousin.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  10. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    Well I don't think Ben is coming back at this point, so that's kind of irrelevant. He's had a couple opportunities to do the right thing and chose not to.

11. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    No way will the Skywalker saga end with Han, Luke and Leia's deaths being for nothing. Han forgave Ben and asked for forgiveness, Leia gave up hope, but Luke said no one is ever really gone.

12. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    I think if your own mother thinks your too far gone, then that says it all.

13. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Not really. Han gave up, then saw hope. Leia saw hope then gave up. Luke is the middle man. He himself can't save Ben, but he also says he's not gone.

14. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    Mothers tend to know more about their kids than anyone. Also, I don't want Rey to have any part of saving Kylo Ren, it's not her responsibility, and he's given her no reason to want to. Actually she has every reason to just not care.

15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think the closest thing we're going to get to an emotional catharsis in relation to the Skywalkers is if they are successful at selling the idea that all the new Force sensitive people coming forward are Luke's children, metaphorically speaking of course, and that Luke and his sister will be considered heroes by countless people throughout the galaxy.

I won't be surprised if there's montage of people at the end of Ep. 9 saying, "I'm a Skywalker!" Heck maybe the Jedi Order will be reborn as The Skywalker Order. Actually it might be cooler if instead of a montage of people saying, "I'm a Skywalker" they're saying there own family name.

Luke's gone. Leia will be gone. Ben might come back to the light side but as you touched on this won't erase his sins. I think we have to accept all of this as sad as it is. Yes it's a bummer that Luke and Leia die but I think the movies are trying to get us to get on board with the idea passing on hope is more meaningful than passing on family genes.

We loved Luke and Leia for the people they were not because what their bloodline was. Maybe we could learn to love new characters in the Star Wars universe just as much the Skywalkers.

Why is it that we're sad that Luke has died? Sure I'm bummed because he's a character from my childhood that I've been attached to for decades but really Luke might not be going anywhere. He might appear as a ghost in EP. 9 He was basically a ghost in TFA and TLJ. Remember what the crawl said in TFA? Luke vanished! Like a ghost? :p Luke being a ghost and Luke being alive might be negligible. What if Luke survived TLJ but then basically told Rey that he'll only be around if she needs advice his fighting days are over? Would that be any different than Luke dying and then coming back as a ghost?

Mostly Handless likes this.
  16. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    THIS!!!

PLz KK hear this. Hear what Darkspellmaster is saying.

cut-of-space likes this.
  17. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    YES! This is how I feel and how I'll always feel.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  18. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I think the stable scene in TLJ emphasizes that the Skywalker story will continue.

19. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    In that Skywalker inspired a new crop of people right? Because ain't no way Broom Boy is related to the Skywalkers.

Wildcatbarry and Mostly Handless like this.
  20. Instant Force Talk

Instant Force Talk Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2017
    And yet... Darth Vader did not realize that Luke Skywalker was his son in A New Hope, but sensed that he was strong in the Force. Luke only realized what he was sensing was his father after the big reveal in The Empire Strikes Back. And in Return of the Jedi, Luke realized that Leia Organa was the twin sister that he never knew he had after Obi-Wan Kenobi told him that he had one. So no... Luke would not have known that Rey was his daughter because it is clear that she was kept away from him for a certain reason.

However... Official sources on Force communication and sensing does state that those who have developed a bond can tell who it is, what they are to them, and how far they are. And Force communication is also stated to be strongest between two FAMILY members, no matter how strong the initial bond is. Again, shown when Luke was able to contact Leia and help her know where he is near the end of The Empire Strikes Back. And then again when Vader tried to contact Luke before cut him off by calling out to Obi-Wan Kenobi.

And if she had no familial ties with Luke, she would not have been able to sense his feelings that far. Which, along with her share of the flow in The Force Awakens, would not have been done if they were planning to just have her be anything but a Skywalker. And it makes for a better story that they do not. Because if they did it in the first film, people claiming to be fans would call it a "Cheap marketing ploy made by Disney." While doing it in Episode IX will flesh out the whole Skywalker Legacy.

So again, I apologize for debunking your claims like this. But lets face it, what you are saying is what you want to see, not what is defined as fact by those working on Episode IX. And doing that is what makes you a fan. Because that is how fanbases work. But it also does not make you a complete expert on a trilogy that is only 2/3rd done.

Because I want to make a repeat point that the Skywalker Legacy ended up splitting into two categories: Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader. Luke took on the task of reviving the Anakin Skywalker half of the legacy, but also made the mistake of considering the Darth Vader half. At some point Luke had to encounter Snoke between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, which would allow Snoke to learn about said legacy. Which would have forced Rey's mother to abandon her as a means of protecting her.

Thus debunks your claim that Luke would know she was his daughter if he, like Vader before him, did not know he was a parent. And like Luke's connection with Leia, a familial bond would have allowed Rey to feel Luke's feelings before he became one with the Force. Which makes her a definite Skywalker, as dictated by official sources. And will more than likely be fleshed out in Episode IX, with her being the Anakin Skywalker half of the Skywalker Legacy. With both bringing balance by working together.

wobbits and cut-of-space like this.
  21. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    You can have spin offs or extensions of course. (Fantastic Beasts). However, you cannot have episodic SW movies without Skywalkers. Thus it will be interesting what happens to Rey. She's certainly caught in the middle of all of this.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  22. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Rey tried. It's up to Ben now. Both behaved very immaturely and need to work things out separately.

@Instant Force Talk Problem with the OT is Lucas had no idea what he was planning and in ANH Vader was not Luke's father.

23. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I'm sorry, but stories like The Old Republic games and comics books, Tales of the Jedi, Crimson Empire, Dawn of the Jedi, the Rogue Squadron Series of Novels says otherwise. Whether or not the Skywalker line survives episode 9, KK and Lucasfilm are looking to move away from them. Rian Johnson's trilogy (The next major trilogy) will have no Link to the Skywalker Clan. I think that's pretty telling at this point.

24. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    One thing we have to keep in mind is that if the Skywalker line ends in tragedy it isn't entirely the fault of the writers as there was going to be not only a plan for Leia in IX, but a bigger plan for her then in any of the other movies. So right now, JJ and co are working to switch things around in that respect. Not sure what happened with his recent story pitch to Disney has there has bee any word of Disney or KK's reaction. I'm thinking the original idea would be that Leia would ultimately be the one to redeem Kylo, considering jos inability to kill her, and now he has no Dark Side master to prove himself to anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    @Adept I'm not ready to give up hope yet. None of us really know what's in store, it's still far from "telling." All I know is that it's always darkest before the dawn.

Lady Rey likes this.