main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will IX be the end of the Skywalkers?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Lady Rey

Lady Rey Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2018
    I think the basic idea of the ST was already written in 2013. Carrie's death will not change how IX ends, but how they get to the planned ending will likely be what changes. I think Adam even knows roughly his character's fate. Like Alan Rickman did with Snape. Rey and Kylo were the first 2 created in 2013 and the rest followed, so they likely have their fates written, though it seems Colin's idea for Rey upset Daisy. Maybe it's a good thing he isn't directing IX.

NileQT87 likes this.
  2. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    You misunderstand, I'm looking forward to this. I love Luke and all the rest. However I want to see new heroes rise, and I do not wish to see the name 'Skywalker' be a requirement to be the lead in a Star Wars film. To me this is not a loss of hope, but the possible dawning of a new future filled with unexplored possibilities.

3. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    When was the last time Leia even saw him?

Pablo on twitter compared the door closing scene to that in the Godfather where Michaels wife sees he has become the new Don. Michael gets roped in to the family business tries to turn it legit and suffers for it. He dies in exile. I dont think anyone would see that coming!

4. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    Then we do not see eye to eye. To me, the Skywalkers are the personification of hope. If that family is gone then so is the heart of Star Wars, it will never be the same. These films will be infinitely colder without the familial connection. It will be very very bleak. If I wanted to see a galaxy far far away without them I'd just watch Star Trek. But that's not who I am, Star Wars resonates with me while Star Trek never did because it was missing something. Sure there can be other newer bigger heroes, but at the same time I need to know that there will always be a Skywalker somewhere out there, even if we can't see them. In other words, I want hope to live on forever. That should be the 1st priority.

5. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    We don't see eye to eye. Luke is a great character and I'm glad to see his legend inspiring new heroes...but the Skywalkers do not equal Hope to me. I've spent too much time with Characters from all over the old Star Wars EU to view the universe as over just because a Skywalker doesn't exist. KOTOR is still one of my favorite games, and there are NO Skywalkers to be found there. Heck, my favorite story in TOR is that of the Imperial Agent, one that has no Skywalker, and follows a character that seemingly has no great connection to the force. If anything you're often dealing with Force Wielders from both sides.....and outwitting them.

Grand Admiral Thrawn, the cast of the 'X-Wing Rogue Squadron' Novels, Crimson Empire and so many more have enthralled and entertained me, inspired me and made me excited to see where we go from here.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  6. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    This is the first I'm hearing of this. Is that all public or inside info?

7. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Um... it was a timeline I think that was released recently? I saw it on a few sites. Kira and Jedi Killer were the first characters, then they changed overtime along with Finn's character who came a bit later. In fact concept art of Kira and Jedi killer was taken from a romantic photoshoot with Adam Driver and a model who looked like an older Rey.

8. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Whether or not he survives IX, I think Ben/Kylo will probably be the last surviving member of the Skywalker lineage. That said, I think their legacy will live on as mythology through those who were inspired by the legends that grew up around them. (i.e. Rey, Finn, broom-boy, ect.)

Haven't you heard, he's Poe and Kylo's long lost son.:p

9. Instant Force Talk

Instant Force Talk Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2017
    @cut-of-space Before I forget... I am glad to of any help. And ironically, I went back to check out the content tied to Anakin Skywalker's legacy. Just to find connections liked to that of Ben and Rey. The whole thing has me asking more questions. And even feel a little bit glad that the original Jedi Order was gone. But it did also has me feel that the fate of the Skywalker Legacy has been split into the Prequel Trilogy (Ben) and the Original Trilogy (Rey). And one additional factor has me wonder what would have happened if Han did die in The Empire Strikes Back and if Luke never found out that he had a twin sister. That, and I was going to look up the character you had mentioned, but... I recently got the one Star Wars figure that has ruined my desire to collect more. And again today when my Disney Store order arrived. So I plan to get on that between tomorrow and when Episode XII is announced.

10. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    I would say that's a bad interpretation of The Godfather (There was never a good Michael except in the Don's head and consequently that of his family. He's a killer from the beginning. Which only Connie, the only Corleone that deals with reality and not the Don's version of it, seems to get). But it raises the question of whether Episode IX goes The Godfather III route.

11. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I don’t think there will be any Skywalkers in RJ’s new trilogy.

Mostly Handless and mlsw like this.
  12. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    IMO what IX should offer is a clear answer to this question. Is Ben Solo going to be redeemed and will have offspring? Will this potential new Solo the heir of the Skywalker lineage? Or does the Skywalker saga end for good with IX, with Kylo dying in the next movie and Rey, Finn and Poe being the only protagonists moving forward?

I would not like an ending for IX that was ambiguous on this front to be honest...

13. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    I just said this in the Hux/Kylo thread.
    The point to me, is that Kylo is now the Supreme Leader.
    He is now in the position the Emperor was.
    That in-universe is = to Gaddafi, Hussein, Mussolini and "nice" guys of this sort.

That he may come back to an ordinary life at the end of IX, is - IMO - far more unlikely than it ever was.

Before TLJ I saw for him if not death, a life in exile, like an errant monk after IX... But now
    even that is less compelling.
    Sure they can do what they want... but I think especially if they want to give us something
    not seen before, if the theme is the Force belongs to everyone, then I'm afraid he won't survive IX.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Perhaps the idea of Luke going into the Force ghost world with the others symbolizes them becoming demi-Gods of sorts. Think of the Greek Gods on mount Olympus.

We just need to be shown how the Skywalker family will have influenced this new generation positively and not just fix what THEY started. That's the biggest thing to me. Luke was a hero while his father was "redeemed" (hate that word for someone who killed younglings and ONLY did what he did for a loved one). His father caused death and destruction while Luke was never part of that. So Luke didn't have to fix his own mistake.

Kylo is in the same exact position as Vader was. Rey is in the same position as Luke was. Rey will be the new hero and Kylo is the redeemed Skywalker I guess. But the twist is that they made it look like the previous trilogy's hero, Luke, was partially to blame for Kylo's evil turn. In the PT we were explicitly shown how Palpatine was behind Anakin's turn (took advantage of Anakin's weaknesses).

They key here is HOW and WHY Ben Solo turned the the dark side. If they leave it as Ben feeling threatened by Luke and that was it, then we just have a family that is to blame and is cursed. If they are able to show a vision or flashback telling us how Snoke turned Ben then we can divert our attention to that.

In TLJ, Rian did NOT want us to focus on Snoke's involvement and I think that was a HUGE mistake. It would have been SO much more helpful if we saw some of that manipulation by Snoke. It would have made Snoke's death more meanginful and would have made Kylo's decision to stick with the dark side all that more surprising. Now we're left with Luke somehow redeeming himself and Kylo-who knows what?

In TFA, both Han and Leia said it was Snoke the whole time. Ben would not have been at the Jedi camp had it not been for Ben showing signs of the dark side in the first place. So WHAT did Ben do and WHY was he feared so much.

This all DOES relate to this topic because it sets up what the true legacy of the Skywalkers is and how they are perceived after ROTJ. Right now, with TLJ, all the blame has been lifted from Snoke who was a throwaway character and is fully put on the Skywalkers. Leia should not have sent Ben to Luke. Luke should not have given in to what he saw in Ben. And Ben, well, he's just now a baddie. MUCH more insight is needed to redeem the WHOLE family.

I hope that JJ studies his own TFA script VERY carefully to see what pieces are missing. As of right now we have a screwed up family that is liable to die as a curse and Rey, the random girl who for some reason inherits the "kingdom" for reasons we do not know other than she had the Force.

Rey is like Galahad and the Skywalkers are the Arthur family with Mordred as Kylo and Arthur as Luke. But in this story, Galahad happened to be the one to pull the sword from the stone.

15. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    My interpretation was that Snoke had already got to him and that Ben was already doing some bad stuff behind Luke's back

Mostly Handless likes this.
  16. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm just wondering how integral Leia was to Kylo's ultimate fate in IX in the original script/synopsis. His compassion for her caused the only time in both of these movies in which he wasn't able to ultimately follow through with a dark task

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  17. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Could you do more saga films without Skywalkers? I don't think so.

18. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    I certanly do see a point in this. So far, redeption theories, at least most of what I have read, always included Snoke as the main villain of the ST. Simply because redemption is always easier to buy when the baddie reveals againt his boss rather than against himself. Kylo won't be able to throw Snoke to the core of the Starkiller II in IX. The moment, the big chance, was TLJ, mainly due to the fact that the throne scene was then.

IX will probably place us a few years after TLJ, which means Kylo Ren would have been the Galaxy's Emperor and Supreme Leader for quite some time. An unexpected turn could happen, and his new regime could be something different than what it was under Palpartine. But I somehow doubt it. I always get the feeling for some fans redemption has to include a total return of Ben Solo, who will have a life chance after IX, preferably with Rey for some fans.

I do believe redemption is always possible in SW. However, when certain lines are crossed, probably redemption comes at the capital price. I can picture a moment in which, at the end of IX in order to save Rey and finally do what is right, Kylo hits the red button and, similar to what we saw with Holdo, we wipes almost the entire FO fleet and troops, which requires him to die making that happening.

That is the kind of redemption I picture for Kylo. Which, to stick to this thread's title, would mean the end of the Skywalker family, whose last living member would have sacrifize in order to end the very evil he helped to create, Vader style.

Jazz9276 and mlsw like this.
  19. jedijax

May 2, 2013

20. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Yeah it seemed Leia was the key to saving him. I wonder if Luke saying he can't save him, but no one's ever really gone, would have been words that made Leia reach out to him in IX? Now I'm assuming Leia's fate will have to play into what was planned to change him.

mlsw and Darth_Articulate like this.
  21. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Depends on what you mean by 'Saga'. If you mean, more trilogies...yes easily. If you mean more 9 episode serials about the Skywalker family, then no.

Mostly Handless and Darth_Bertie like this.
  22. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Yep, probably not more Episodes and no more Skywalkers.

23. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Yep! If Leia was influential in IX then she still will be. It's just the matter of how they deliver that with the unfortunate events. They can use voice.

Rian said something about Force ghosts and battles in the spiritual world. It isn't over for the Skywalkers, not yet anyway.

Darth_Articulate and Lady Rey like this.
  24. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
    I will be sad if no Skywalker survives.

oncafar likes this.
  25. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    I hope they don't end the bloodline. Leave it open ended instead. Have Kylo turn back to being Ben and spend his days traveling the galaxy looking for peace/atonement. Maybe by spreading knowledge of the Force he can continue the "legend" of the Skywalkers.

Heck maybe Rey will accompany him :D haha