main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Potential Threats/Antagonists For New Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by King Maul, Jan 5, 2018.

1. King Maul

King Maul Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2016
    What kind of threat do you like to see in future movies ?

We have now seen the Sith in 6 movies and it looks like we are done with the Sith now.

Then we have the Galactic empire and the First order . FO basically the Empire 2.0 . And we have seen evil separatists and evil corporations like the Trade federation .

Besides this antagonistic factions we have seen what threats can they use next.

Some suggestions:

- Maybe the criminal underworld will play a bigger role . Though it can't really top the Sith and the Empire.

- Alien factions. Something like Chiss , Ssi Ruuvi , Kilik etc. Return of the Rakatans ?

- New political factions. Hutt empire , conquering Mandalorians. Maybe the Corporate sector can rise to dominance .

- Droid revolution. Like a SW Ultron

- The Sith return. Some ancient Sith lord ressurrected or maybe something like the Lost tribe.

- Extra galactic invasion like Yuuzhan Vong

- Ancient dark entity. Fallen whill , dark celestial , Abeloth etc.

- Other dimensions

I personally would enjoy a alien race like the Rakatans creating a large empire and enslaving the entire galaxy , basically the Infinite empire again. Could also tie a dark entity into this by having the entity being the power behind the Rakatans .

What threat will you prefer in future movies?

2. Lady Rey

Lady Rey Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2018
    The Force itself. I feel it's manipulative and people are using it wrong and there's something much darker about it than the Dark side.

3. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    I hope they go the route of smaller, more personal threats, instead of trying to one-up with huge galactic-level threats. The villains/antagonists can be more modest in scope but still very scary. More Norman Bates (Psycho) than Unicron (Transformers the Movie).

Ghost, WriterMan, DarthRosie and 7 others like this.
  4. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    This bothers me because I've had an idea for a while that's luckily not listed on this thread (so horray I finally have an original thought!). But at the same time I'm aspiring to be a film director and one day get my hands on a SW film. And I know exactly what kind of threat to bring in. And yeah it wouldn't be a huge galactic scale threat, but more of a Bane (TDKR) and Slade (TT) type villain. Anyone know how to get in touch with the LF story group?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  5. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Outside force from somewhere. Maybe the Yuuzhan Vong. Something that unites the two parties together to fight against a common foe

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    1. The God-King of Utopia

What is it?
    A powerful Force-user who truly can grant immortality to others, bring the dead (even the long-dead) back to life, bestow prosperity and peace. But in return, the God-King demands worship and obedience. He/She rules a small region of space in the galaxy, definitely less than a third of the GFFA, or maybe one of its satellite galaxies. The God-King is not a dark-sider, and has his/her own Jedi-like "Royal Knights" sworn to obey him/her (maybe give them white lightsabers to look unique). As more worlds began to secede from the Newer Republic to join the Kingdom, the Republic sees it as a seductively insidious threat, and declares war with a pre-emptive strike.

Why would this be interesting?
    Because it would get to the core of the Dictatorship versus Democracy question in Star Wars. So often, stories (not just Star Wars) kind of cop-out on the question by turning the dictator into a mass-murdering, deceptive lunatic. So start a story where the only thing wrong with the Dictatorship really does seem to be only that it's a Dictatorship, and start with already showing Democracy is flawed and can make mistakes. But by the trilogy's end, show how despite the flaws that arise in Democracy, how Dictatorship is inherently flawed and how it outweighs all of Democracy's flaws and how Dictatorship is based on the lie that some people are inferior/superior to others and the lie that it is right for anyone to impose force on others. That there's the possibility a seemingly-benevolent dictator, even if starting out good, could fall to evil because they're still human, or be succeeded by someone not as good. That even when Dictatorship is "shiny" and "cool" and seemingly-benevolent, just by being a Dictatorship it is still bad. Have the Republic reform and purify itself in response to this challenge, and show once and for all that Dictatorship in all its forms is bad. A very Star Wars message.

2. The Liberator

What is it?
    Seeing that the Newer Republic is repeating the mistakes of the past, still has corruption and imperfect politicians, still has mass poverty, still turns a blind-eye to slavery, still doesn't give rights to droids... the Liberator emerges as the anti-Palpatine. Perhaps she is the literal opposite of him superficially too... young, female, alien, not associated with colors like red/black/white/gray (I personally imagine a 30-something, yellow, female Twi'lek). The Liberator is forming a populist uprising from the masses, and is very charismatic. She wants to collapse the Republic, bring down the regional/system/planetary governments too, and perhaps she's already succeeded by the time these movies start. She and her Force-trained "Revolutionary Guardians" are the key to this movement, and are willing to embrace violence, but they want no power for themselves. And if any new government begins to rise from the ashes, the Liberator and her Force-trained revolutionary fanatics, patrolling the galaxy, work to bring it down before it can gain real power. But in this "enforced anarchy," there are still many problems, caused by the Liberator and her yellow/orange-bladed Guardians squashing any attempt at mass-cooperation since it could become a government. No one is oppressed (unless the Guardians think they're trying to form a government), but worlds starve or have fallen into even worse poverty due to lack of organized trade, pirate raids are common (even if the Guardians try to crush them as a form of oppression, they can't be everywhere), etc.

Because it would be very unique, and show the other extreme, as well as address problems that many have had with the galaxy. Why keep bringing back a Republic if it will always turn corrupt or ineffective? Why not do something more about slavery? Why haven't droids won rights yet? The Liberator would be a sympathetic villain, but still a villain due to her bloodthirsty tactics, and the effects of her "enforced anarchy" stifling the galaxy as much as a dictatorship would have. Instead of being about extremes, it would show the Republic as the "middle ground" between two bad extremes. This conflict could lead to the reborn Republic finally fixing some of its predecessors' mistakes, and no longer turn a blind eye to slaves and droids and the poor, no longer ignore the potential of a populist uprising. Yet, to me, it still feels "Star Wars," with a Force-trained order of the Revolutionary Guardians being the fanatic followers of the Liberator patrolling the galaxy to duel the heroes, and the fight to restore a Republic.

3. The Destroyers

What is it?
    The Destroyers are a dark side cult, but very unlike the Sith or anything else we've seen in the movies so far. They, like the Liberator, do not want to rule. But while the Liberator wanted to liberate, and then prevent new governments from forming, but still stood for life and freedom... the Destroyers stand only for collapse, destruction, and death. They are spies, infiltrators, assassins, and saboteurs. They want the Republic to collapse, and all the sector/planetary governments to collapse too. And then, with the people deprived of a defense force, they will massacre people. They will also seek to build superweapons like the Death Stars and Starkiller Base... but instead of the threat of them being used to keep order through fear, they want to actively use them until every star and every planet in the universe is destroyed. They believe only destruction is eternal, the only true power is the power to destroy, and that only eternal destruction will bring peace. Unlike the God-King and his Royal Knights, or the Liberator and her Revolutionary Guardians, the Destroyers are trained in and worshipfully devoted to the dark side of the Force.

Because it's a level of evil that even Palpatine never approached (that we know of), and would be a different but clear villain. Instead of fighting for freedom, it's a fight for survival, a fight for life and the Force itself. The villains have no "new hope," they've lost hope and fallen into despair, convinced that life and the universe will only bring forth new pain, so the only way to end suffering and make sure it will never return is to destroy everything. Yet most of their actions, with bombings and assassinations, and superweapon tests, won't make them seem too different from the more traditional villains, especially as lightsaber-wielding darksiders (maybe give them darksabers to look unique). It would also add a lot of tension, because unlike some invading or separatist or oppressive threat, the danger will be of infiltrators and traitors and spies everywhere.

7. King Maul

Mar 20, 2016
    Love your ideas , especially the god king . Nice work !

Ghost likes this.
  8. King Maul

Mar 20, 2016
    Would you prefer extra galactic invaders as force sensetive or existing outside the force like the Vong ?

9. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Maybe, or something akin to a crossover (I.e. Daleks, Skeksis, etc)

10. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    If they do continue the New Canon stories beyond Episode IX, I hope they don't go the Legends route and make the main antagonists apocalyptic threats (Vong, Abeloth, etc.) that dwarf anything we see in the movies. Doing so makes it feel like the events of the films are insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

11. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I want to see the Sith again (or their predecessors, the first dark jedi). Not in a post-RoTJ revival, but in the far far past. The Sith have such a long history, that it doesn't make sense to limit them as film villains to only the last members of the Rule of Two Sith.

Darkslayer, Vib3s, DarthRosie and 6 others like this.
  12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I have a funny feeling that's exactly what we are going to get in RJ's trilogy.

darklordoftech, Yora and RKR like this.
  13. RKR

RKR Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 22, 2013
    Absolutely. The rise of Sidious was a small slice of ONE era of the Sith’s history. There is so much more to explore.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  14. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    A coalition of alien species coming out of the unknown regions pursuing users of the great “Force” - like it’s sacred to them and see it’s manipulation as an abomination that must be eradicated.

And I mean some real “alien” looking species. Real strange looking creatures that look like they crawled out of the abyss and have cybernetics and biotech and weird stuff like that. Sentient and intelligent but wild and savage.

15. The Shrike

The Shrike Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    What if she's already amongst them, but she hasn't yet discovered her true origin.

Let me add that I never liked the Vong in the novels, something about devices or races that somehow nullify the force just doesn't rub me right.

Mandalorians I've always been fond of, but they could go either way, antagonists, or protagonists. I see them like the Klingons in Star Trek, they're a holes, but they're honorable a holes.

A droid revolution is interesting, but maybe have them going missing from time to time, then one day a Jedi is travelling in the far outer regions (or whatever you call it, unexplored space) and comes across a planet or moon where they've been congregating, and forming their own society.

There's really so many ways they can go, that's what I love about sci fi, the possibilities.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    King Maul likes this.
  16. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Darksiders messing with the rules of reality.

17. rorow1

rorow1 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2017
    I think Hux and the KOR. Kylo's story that Rey killed Hux and his 8 PG and managed to knock him out( but for some reason left him living) doesn't hold up. The minute Kylo doesn't want to do something evil I think Hux will start planting seeds w/ them.

Or
    Ezra. On the Black Opinions Matter podcast, Freddie Prinze Jr talked was very vague about whether or not Ezra would live( as he should be) but also said w/ Maul gone there will be other darksiders that try to offer him guidance. It could be Palpatine, but it would be great if it is Snoke and he is the secret apprentice that is hinted in the VD.

oncafar likes this.
  18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I would love to see much smaller, more harder to define threats. Something like a syndicate or terrorist group that can blend in with the people, making them hard to identify and find.

Whether this is something like Black Sun or the Diversity Alliance, I think it would be interesting.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If they go with an alien threat, which old EU threats would be best for adaptation (and maybe some changes) into the new canon:
    -Yuuzhan Vong
    -Yevetha
    -Killik

Or something very different from all of them? If so, how?

Gallandro007 likes this.
  20. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I don't think you are too far off from this idea. I do think that is why Thrawn and Ezra got taken by the Purgill to the Unknown Regions (I pressume anyway?)

21. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Coming out of hyperspace to a group of Yuzhan Vong would be terrifying.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Especially if they are depicted exactly as they were in Legends. But I have this feeling that the characters will be adjusted.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I wouldn't mind something like the Yuuzhan Vong. Not EXACTLY them, but some kind of powerful, massive force from an entirely different galaxy that all but ravages the GFFA, and the galaxy as a whole with all their differences have to come together and fight for their very existence. It could arc over an entire trilogy. Epic.

I also wouldn't mind some kind of unusual alien race that emerges from the unknown regions. Kind of a "this has been lurking for centuries, and no one knew about the imminent threat," kind of thing. The Borg were kind of like this. The whole idea that "they've always been out there....." while everything we know so far had been going on...

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I'd like a Droid Revolution.
    C-3PO getting infected with an IG-88 virus, and leading droids on a violent rampage.

With R2 (definitely NOT BB) being the hero that eventually brings peace. ☮️
    R2 becomes a Senator in the Even Newer Republic when Droids get full rights and freedom.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  25. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I really would've like a droid revolution for the Sequel Trilogy's main conflict, but there's still time after this trilogy. Maybe also a future state of the galaxy where crime lords are more powerful than ever.

Rodie likes this.