main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why didnt Padme save Shmi from Slavery ?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by PadawanGussin, Jan 7, 2018.

1. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    After her son saved her planet from the Trade Federation why would not Padme, as Queen make Watto a generous offer to save shim from a life of slavery?

2. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Short answer:

She had more important matters at hand. Plus, it was out of their jurisdiction.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and jc1138 like this.
  3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Why just her?

Why wouldn't she buy every slave from every planet and bring them to Naboo?

The point is that the Queen of a planet of the Republic can't just go outside the laws for her own selfish reasons.

That is corruption and not how Padme would work anymore than the Republic would invade Tatooine or the Jedi would free slaves.

By that logic why didn't Qui-Gon simply threaten Watto, tie him up, take the parts they need, free Anakin and Shmi and take-off?

Because Jedi aren't thiefs and murderers.

"Master Qui-Gon. How did you obtain those parts you needed?"

"I threatened to cut off the junk dealers wings then stole his parts and his slaves."

This goes down the line of why don't Yoda and Obi-Wan sneak back to Coruscant at any point and plant a bomb to kill Sidious?

Why doesn't Vader just hang out on Tatooine knowing that Luke will show up to get Han at some point? Have a bunch of Stormtroopers waiting then stun Luke and you have him. Why not just do that on Cloud City in the first place?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Jarren_Lee-Saber and ss640 like this.
  4. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    • Entitlement
    • It was the perfect excuse to avoid the in-laws
    • Padme knew Anakin loved Shmi more than her
    • The only person that would donate to the GoFundMe page was destitute Anakin
    • She wanted to but ..... sand
    • She was afraid Shmi would suffocate in the gift box before she saw Anakin again
    • She knew Watto would jack up the price because ... Queen
    • She sent Jar Jar to take care of it
    • She was afraid C-3PO would be thrown in for free
    • Her personality disorder convinced her she never personally met Shmi
    • Having high ethical standards, she could not fund a slaver
    • Did you see what Shmi was wearing? How could she fix Anakin with that influence so near?
    • She did purchase Shmi, but felt Padme was a bad influence, so Shmi refused
    • She didn't need a slave
    • She bought the wrong slave. They all look alike.

5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    There is no good reason. Just unconvincing excuses.

6. darth-skycrawler

darth-skycrawler Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2001
    I was watching the prequels again and there aren't actually many moments where characters act contrary to their established behaviour patterns, but this is one for me.

I can imagine that Qui Gon possibly would have gone and freed Shmi, but I don't see the Jedi council going for it. It makes perfect sense they would refuse for several reasons.
    1. They wanted Anakin to forget his mother and focus on being a traditional Jedi
    2. It would have caused political problems if they went around buying slaves from Hutt controlled planets.
    3. I can imagine the Jedi don't believe in nepotism. They wouldn't want to save a slave just, because they were a relative of someone from the order. It's a slippery slope to get down. Once they go and free Shmi, what about Obi Wan's uncle Bob, who is a slave too and Mace's cousin Bill who lives on a planet with an evil dictator.

However, it seems out of character that Padme or even the people of Naboo would do nothing to help. This boy saved their planet and the least they could do is free his mother no matter how difficult it would be.

7. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    I am sure that, as between nations on Earth, back channel deals occur all the time between planets of the Republuc and non aligned worlds.
    So even if a public deal would be ill advised other options would be avaliable.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  8. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    The Republic has absolutely no control on Tatooine. Furthermore, the man in charge of the galaxy, Palpatine, is secretly manipulating the galaxy so that he can enslave all systems. Why would the man who is ultimately controlling the Senate work to free slavery on Tatooine?

9. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    I was thinking more along the lines of Naboo not involving Palpitine or the Senate but using covert, trusted people to deal directly with Watoo discreetiy.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  10. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Why wouldn't she also free Kitster and Wald and their families? Why wouldn't she put her entire fortune toward freeing as many slaves on Tatooine as she possibly could?

That's not really the solution. The issue is larger than that. You're just giving slavers money to buy replacement slaves, with a tidy profit.

11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Ridiculous. So you can never help anyone then. Maybe when Anakin wanted to help Padme etc Shmi should've refused saying "Why them? Why don't we accommodate every stranger or vagrant in town? Why do they deserve it more? Sorry Anie, tell them to **** off".

Or perhaps you're right & the conversation among the Naboo went like this after TPM.
    Sio Bibble: "So you say young Skywalker's mother took you all in, fed you & allowed her only child to save out whole planet!? Well we must send a delegation at once to free her & make sure she lives a life of peace, freedom & safety. It's the least we can do."
    The Queen: "Yeah but there's that thorny ethical conundrum. If we can't free every slave in the galaxy then we shouldn't help this one".
    Bibble: "Good point. Well enough of this unpleasant slavery business. I'll see you at the cocktail party at the Royal retreat by the lake this weekend".
    What laws? Tatooine is not a Republic world. If she's breaking laws then so did Qui-Gon when he wagered for the release of Anakin & negotiated for Shmi's freedom. These excuses are so flimsy.
    No no no. This isn't an issue of questionable tactical decisions. Like why didn't Tarkin blow up the Yavin planet etc. This is about basic kindness, gratitude & decency.
    You don't need "control" to negotiate Shmi's freedom. The Queen already knew that Qui-Gon had attempted to free Shmi but due to limited resources wasn't able to. She also saw that Qui-Gon was successful in freeing Anakin. Let's also recall that sometime later Watto did sell Shmi - to a poor moisture farmer! How easy should it have been for the Queen of a wealthy planet to get the deal done.

Anakin's line in TPM in front of both his mother & the Queen is very telling. "The biggest problem in this universe is that nobody helps each other". Shmi takes a group of strangers, the Queen & her companions into her home, feeds them & lets her 9 year old son risk his life in a race which allows them to continue their mission to save their people. Then she makes the ultimate sacrifice in letting her son go, who then proceeds to save the Queen's planet. & in return for this incredible act of generosity from a poor slave woman who now has nothing, not even her only child, the Queen of this rich nearby planet does...diddly squat. Allows her to rot in slavery. Guess the Queen wasn't listening to little Anie on that occasion.

12. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Just like there's no reason for Han not to pay Jabba after Yavin.

13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Not sure what point that bit of deflection serves. Han not paying a crime boss is not a betrayal of common decency, or a disgraceful lack of gratitude.

14. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    More over, who's to say that Palpatine as the chancellor wouldn't step in and forbid any such action claiming some sort of legal jargon, but really wanting to keep one of his footholds on Anakin?

15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    ”The Republic doesn’t exist out here”. Therefore the Republic Chancellor doesn’t have a say in the matter. More importantly, this should have been addressed in AotC. A quick line or two of dialogue to say that Naboo made some attempt to repay the Skywalkers for helping their world. It would’ve added a lot to the character of Padme. And to Anakin’s affection for her.

16. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Nah, just an example of an oversight on the part of the writers... There was no reason for Han not to pay off Jabba when he had what, at least a few month to do it?

Tonyg and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  17. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I think people who are saying it was out of their jurisdiction are missing the point.

The opening post clearly said giving watto a generous offer. Nothing about complying with law. There was nothing stopping anyone in the republic doing business with people on Tatooine (unless the wook says different)

It's just one of those things to move the plot forward. Anakin had to succumb to the dark-side somehow. I have no problem with this from a story standpoint. Especially one that it's creator called a fairy tale set in space. For that reason it does not bother me.

BUT to pretend there is a logically in universe reason nobody did anything...there really isn't one.

18. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The reason is that he’s an irresponsible scoundrel. It’s in character for him to put it off when he shouldn’t have. Whereas Padme is supposed to have integrity, kindness etc.

19. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Kitster and the rest of the planets slaves didn't help save the royal ship.

If the Queen of the commonwealth here on Earth was driving down my street and her car broke down and I fixed it. I wouldn't expect her to reward the whole street or town for my efforts. Why would she?

20. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    He's not stupid, however. It was easier for him to pay off Jabba with the money he got from the Rebels than have bounty hunters on his ass all the time.

As for Padme, I could say that since Watto wasn't abusive she didn't worry about Shmi as much.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    So the only reason to free Shmi is because she helped them? You're saying all the other slaves don't deserve to be freed? Not even Anakin's friends and their families?

And no, there actually is a logical in-universe reason it wasn't done: It just gives money to slavers to buy more slaves. That's why actual, real-world human rights organizations are officially against people in first world countries buying slaves from third world countries in order to set them free. It perpetuates and enlarges the problem while arbitrarily freeing a few randomly selected individuals. It's not a real solution.

22. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    He’s not stupid but he’s a gambler. He’s the type to say “I’ll just do this first & then go to Jabba next week”, & keep saying that until he’s in trouble. This isn’t a character betrayal.
    Oh so her reasoning was “The woman who helped save us all may be a slave but her slave owner seemed like a nice bloke. I’m sure her life in bondage will be a happy one, alone without her only child.” o_O

23. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    I mean look at everything that happened between her leaving Tatooine to the Battle of Naboo, I think anything that happened while she was being herself in Tatooine was at the back of her mind. She had a lot of rebuilding and helping to do after the Trade Federations invasion so her obv first priority was fixing up Naboo and helping her people resettle. After that, I assume she got swamped in other duties as Queen and really didn't get time enough to be like everything needs to halt, I must go to Tatooine and free this one slave.

Also remember it would be highly risky for her to go to Tatooine as Queen, since it is not part of the Republic and is ruled by the Hutts. She would be putting herself in imminent danger.

Tonyg and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  24. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    of course all slaves should be freed, @The_Phantom_Calamari

but as already said it isn't her responsibility to free anybody. It would have been a nice gesture on the Republics part to have freed her.

and since you are asking me questions in such a way, I will ask you these in rebuttle:

she shouldn't free a slave that showed her hospitality? she should go back to Naboo and forget all about the incident? it's either free all slaves or none at all?

Samuel Vimes and Darth Downunder like this.
  25. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    um what exactly did Shmi do for Padme? Shmi was very nice and caring, but you're acting like she risked tooth and nail for Padme.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.