main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One What was your reaction the first time seeing the Vader hallway scene?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Blue 5, May 9, 2017.

1. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    People were going nuts because Darth Vader has been a pop culture icon for forty years. As a character, he still often occupies the top spot on those "Greatest Movie Villain Of All Time" polls. He is scary indeed, but people love him because of that. They cheered because here is the greatest movie villain of all time demonstrating his utter ruthless villainy in all its glory. He is totally badass, and that is why he remains so beloved. It wasn't inappropriate therefore. Even kids loved him in that scene, they get it.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I cheer every single time Michael Myers mows down a group of "heroes" for the same reason that members of my generation had a talking Freddy Krueger doll on their beds while a "Nancy" doll was never even marketed. Because villains doing villainy gets fandom excited.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I was thrilled and terrified at once. I was glad that we got to see Vader as he should be depicted...EU-style.

4. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    It was shot like an American slasher movie, but the satisfaction I took from it was also different. Part of the satisfaction in seeing these horror villains slashing people is because their victims are mostly obnoxious teenager representations of all those people we hated in high school (there are many articles and thesis written on the messed up psychology of typical American horror movies); in Rogue One, the rebel victims in hallway scene were sympathetic, which created this beautiful mix of emotions between being turned on by a seeing a beloved villain in his full glory and the almost contradictory satisfaction of seeing some of the heroes also getting away from Vader with the plans in the Tantive IV.

I thought it was done really well. Vader has become such a hugely beloved character protected by the fandom that it’s difficult to bring him in to a battle he must lose without making him look like a disappointment, and the movie did the job well.

I don’t understand the argument “people cheered for Vader, ergo the movie isn’t good”. Whut? People cheered for Hannibal in virtually every single movie and TV series of him – does that mean that neither of those were any good? People cheered for Ledger’s Joker in Nolan’s Batman, does that mean that movie wasn’t any good? Do these "critics" realize that Vader became the most popular Star Wars character worldwide and one people like to root for despite being a villain, simply because of way the OT depicted him? Does that mean that OT is not any good?

Surely, they must have heard at least the concept of rooting for the Empire, which happens often regardless of story or quality, as long as you have a charismatic or a badass-looking villain.

Lady_Misty, J7Luke, Avnar and 2 others like this.
  5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    That is the scene I will show when people ask how much more powerful force users are when compared to regular people.

I loved that it had this horror movie vibe to it. When Vader pins the poor guy on the ceiling, that is a callback to pure horror movie supernatural stuff, right there.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    My eyes widened during the scene.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am just going to stare at that gif for an hour while listening to this:

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Best gif evar!

10. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    It was as if a million goosebumps cried out in excitement, and then suddenly silenced by the end of it.

Lady_Misty, J7Luke, Blue 5 and 2 others like this.
  11. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    simply the best scene shot in the saga...apart from the opening of a new hope..some back to back sequence!!

12. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Got the Rogue One blu ray for Christmas and really enjoyed watching the Vader hallway scene again...I think it's going to be one of those scenes I will never tire of (like Anakin/Obi-Wan's duel in ROTS). My reaction now is just about the same as when I first saw it--pure delight:p

Lady_Misty and LordDallos like this.
  13. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    I remember everyone clapping, including myself.

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I was having a blast giggling at my friend who was first pumping and cheering her head off when Vader went on a tear. She is so much fun when she gets into a movie.

Thought this was very well done. That gif is a great shot,

15. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Utterly thrilling and how Vader should be. Not desperate to reach the holder of the plans but will take out anyone in his way as he strides through their ranks to reach his goal.

16. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    I was too shocked to fully comprehend the power of that scene in the cinema
    When that rebel got smashed against the ceiling, though, I knew I was experiencing the full power of the Force: shock and weird physics

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I said out loud, "Oh $#@&!"

Blue 5 likes this.
  18. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    One of my secret hopes leading up to the release of Rogue One was a short confrontation between Darth Vader and Jyn Erso's group. It didn't seem all that unlikely at the time, at least based on the fact that Darth Vader was confirmed to have a part in the movie. This "fanboy dream" of mine only intensified when Chirrut Îmwe was introduced as a rather capable warrior with a mysterious spiritual side to him. I remember thinking to myself during the movie that it would be awsome to have Chirrut engage in a duel with Darth Vader at some point - but as we all know, it never came to pass. On the other hand, the Darth Vader scene at the end was a perfect substitute for that silly fanboy dream, because it was part of the movie's effort to build a bridge to ANH.

I was amazed, I was shocked... slightly terrified, even. I felt an odd sense of joy at the sight of the Dark Lord unleashing his power to reclaim the stolen plans. I guess it's because the scene allowed me to get a glimpse of the Darth Vader I used to fear when I was a child.

Lady_Misty and Sarge like this.
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    And Vader standing on the ramp looking out into the vacuum of space for the escaping ship is so very Vader.

20. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I loved the scene. It reminded me so much of ANH.

21. frail47

frail47 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    I had the biggest smile on my face when saw it. Certainly wasn't happy to see Vader mowing down Rebels, but to see him like that after his "NOOOOOO!" scream in ROTS made me very happy. That is the Vader I know and love.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  22. Darth Holmes

Darth Holmes Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2017
    It is one of my absolute favorite moments in all of the Star Wars movies. To see a strong, powerful, and ruthless Darth Vader cutting through the Rebels again reminded me of how evil and scary he was.
    And to share it with my boys made it even more special. The movies have spanned my lifetime and sharing it with them was fun!

23. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    i was still reeling from jyn and cassian's death, so part of me was crying about that and part of me was scared ****less by vader.

Sarge likes this.
  24. VanLiz

VanLiz Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2002
    Oh shoot. They're all dead.

Lady_Misty and J7Luke like this.
  25. VanLiz

VanLiz Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2002
    He is such a drama queen. First he turns off the lights. Next he just stands there in the dark breathing to get them frightened. Then he lights his saber and just stands there taking in their terror. I just noticed that he waits for the shooting to start before he fights, he does not start the fight.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018