main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Woody Harrelson (Tobias Beckett) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Ender_and_Bean, Jan 3, 2017.

1. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Tobias Beckett has got to be the most Earth sounding name in the entire history of the franchise.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think Owen Lars still holds that honor, it's just that we've lived with that name for over four decades now (depending on how old we all are) and "Tobias Beckett" is fresh out of the box.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Swashbucklingjedi and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It sounds like a name straight out of an old western. But Star Warsy at the same time. I like it a lot.

4. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Woody Harrelson is one of my favorite actors. Dude can act. I expect him to be one of the highlights of this film.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd actually vote Rose Tico for most "earth sounding." But yes, Tobias Beckett is definitely a close 2nd for me!

JediMasterSven likes this.
  6. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    I was thinking more of Quantum Leap.

7. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't think Tobias sounds all that much like a name out of an old western, but it's definately a very "earthy" name.

Then again, the first movie didn't really go all in with fancy first names either. In terms of male names that actually were said out loud we got Luke, Han, Owen, Wedge, Biggs, Ben / Obi Wan, Anakin and, if you want to count it as a first name, Darth. Luke, Owen and Ben are common names. Han and Wedge are rarer but kind of exist as well, Biggs probably not, Anakin probably not at that time, and Obi Wan and Darth most definately not, at least not at that time. Darth is obviously not the first name of the character now, but it wasn't clear at that point whether it was a name or title. In terms of female names, we got Leia, which definately is a common name, and Beru, which does exist as a name in some places, though not necessarily as a female one. Apart from Obi Wan (and Darth) there isn't really anything too outlandish.

The trend to more extravagant names seems to have appeared later on. In part in the movies themselves, in part by EU-material giving first names to characters that didn't have one before, which rarely led to common names being used.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's not so much one of his names but Fore and Surnames. Luke, Leia and Han(s) may be common first names but Skywalker, Organa and Solo are not. Tobias Beckett is an awful SW name.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't see it. Owen Lars is hardly all that different.

There was the occasional fancy name in the original Star Wars, but it never went really crazy with names until much later on.

10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I love 'Tobias Beckett', it's a great choice.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  11. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    If they don't have a scene between Tobias Becket and Bren Derlin (John Ratzenberger), I suggest we riot. The "Cheers" reunion must happen!

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Surely they could have gotten Shelly Long in for a cameo.

And what's Ted Danson doing nowadays anyway? CSI? Pfffff.

JediMasterSven likes this.
  13. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    They did not have the Visual Dictionaries back then to publicise every background character;

All these were in A New Hope; Leesub Sirln, Senni Tonnika, Sai'torr Kal Fas, Pol Treidum, Shann Childsen, Del Goren, Tawss Khaa, Rycar Ryjerd, Swilla Corey, Daine Jir, Chall Bekan, Djas Puhr, Hrchek Kal Fas.

14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I would not have called him Tobias Beckett. This sounds like a character out of a Jane Austen novel.
    They should have named the Woody Harrelson character:
    Ydoow Nosslerah

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That's just what I was talking about. You can't just use names that were added later. Most oft these characters didn't have any names. It was only when someone had to come up with something later on, for merchandising and other ancillary articles, that all these weird names got added.

16. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    But even the credited (at the time) names were weird - Tagge, Piett, Rieekan, Dodonna, Ozzel, etc. As @Darth Smurf said above, Tobias Beckett could easily be a character in a classic novel or your next door neighbour. I'm done discussing it, it's the worst SW name for a secondary lead ever.

Silent Android and Darth Smurf like this.
  17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Um, you are aware that Tagge and Piett are actually existing last names, yes?

Beyond that, this was about the first movie. Rieekan, Ozzel and Piett didn't even appear in it. The original Star Wars had a mix of real and rather weird names, and that is the entire point: a mix. That means that some are real sounding and some aren't. So while Tobias Beckett is certainly one of the most "earthy" names, it is hardly unique or "un-star-warsy".

RokurGepta likes this.
  18. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I said I was done but had to come back because you don't seem to get the point (but then again you might as you mentioned a 'Mix'). Piett and Tagge may be existing real world surnames but they are very few and far between compared to Beckett and consequently more exotic. The name Tobias, like Luke, has been around for centuries. My argument is there is no 'Mix', both fore and surnames are run of the mill and relatively well known in SW's two biggest markets (the USA and UK). Change his forename, or even better his surname, to something more exotic and there would be no issue for me.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Tobias Beckett is such a "Western" name.

I desperately need him to tell Han something like, "No system for old men...".

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  20. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Ted Danson is doing great work on The Good Place, the first season of which is on Netflix, and you should go watch it now.

GregMcP likes this.
  21. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    I wonder if Beckett will find a good woman and wallpaper the closet or go heels to The Force.

22. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    My biggest question is - Will Tobias Beckett look like Woody Harrelson?

Quick answer is "duh" but I mean will he just be Tallahassee from Zombieland just surrounded by aliens? Or will Woody be done up to look like a Spacer? I kinda hope they dress him up and deck him out to make him look unique and not just the bartender from Cheers with a blaster holster.

I know it's a nitpick but still, it's why I like lesser knowns in Star Wars, we don't relate them to other roles from other movies (yes the first movie I ever saw Harrison Ford in was Star Wars and spent many years of my life saying dumb things like "Hey look it's Han Solo being the president")

23. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    yes.

Darth Smurf and Cantina Regular like this.
  24. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    Hahaha thanks for reading the rest of my post [face_laugh]

25. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I did though. He wears (at least) two costumes and they are both proper Star Wars.

Cantina Regular likes this.