main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2018 Awards Customer Service Desk (Rules and FAQ thread is stickied!) ** VOTING CLOSED **

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Jan 6, 2018.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005

It's time for the 2018 Awards to begin!

The Rules and FAQ thread is stickied and locked at the top of Resource so that you can reference it throughout the awards. Since that thread is sooo long, we've made this Customer Service Desk for you to ask questions and for announcements.

You should read the Rules and FAQ thread, but just a note: You must register with the mods before you will be allowed to nominate or vote. You can find all the information in the Rules and FAQ thread.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Findswoman likes this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    That Porg banner is massively too big for my phone. It doesn't resize and I get no meaningful information from it.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    If you can't dismiss it from your phone, you can dismiss it from a desktop and it will stayed dismissed for whatever device you are logged in on. It is for the awards.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Announcement! Nomination link is now live! To find it go to the Rules and FAQ thread!

Findswoman likes this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Shouldn't those post from the social about the banner be here? Just in case more people have the same issue?

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Posts moved.

Also, if you can make it through the Awards Rules and FAQ, there is an eligibility list for both SW and NSWFF.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    A few questions, if I may:

1. How are we treating drabble threads? As a single "story," or can they be nominated under "series" (serial or episodic as the case may be)?

2. For nominating in "Best Ensemble Cast," how specific does one need to be? Can one simply say something like "The crew of the Golden Quadduck in A Cool SW Story"? Or should the characters be listed?

Thanks so much. :)

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Findswoman likes this.
  9. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    And a question from me: if we nominate two stories in a category, they don't have to be in different eras, but should they be by different authors?

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Two clarifying questions:
    * For nominating, what URLs have to be provided?

* Is there a verifying thingy at the end, like a captcha image we have to provide? Those things and/or the audio option give me fits. :rolleyes:

Findswoman likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Another thing just came to my mind. Is there a cap on how many times we can nominate specific people? Things could turn out a bit bizarre if there's no limit at all. :eek:

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    A drabble can be a single story since they are full stories, though very short. They can also be a part of a series either serial or episodic. They could also be a cohesive story told in 100 word parts.

I'd think most people would stick to a series nomination or drabbles that make a cohesive story rather than nominating an individual drabble because they are so short, but they are stories.

No, the characters don't need to be listed for Ensemble Cast, that could be way too much! You don't even have to list anything, just the story that has a great ensemble cast.
    On the survey it does say "Please include character name, title of story, and author in "Choice 1" or "Choice 2" in all Character categories except for Ensemble Cast."

Nope. Part of the attempt to keep things simple is that there are no restrictions on who or what you can nominate as long as it's inside eligibility. We hope that most people will be diverse and nominate people from different eras and different authors but we know that won't always happen.

I'm not entirely certain I understand what you are asking? The URL to the story that is being nominated is what has to be included. If it's a series, the URL for each story of the series needs to be included. (If it's something like a drabble series where there are a LOT of posts, you don't have to include each drabble URL, you can just use the thread URL.)

Nope! You just need your code from the mods.

Nope, again, we're trying to keep things as simple as possible. We hope people won't just go in and nominate their friend in all categories, but if they do it's not against the rules.

Regarding not limiting authors, eras, etc... Basically, this is an experiment in if we can do the awards and not have to micromanage every step which adds a lot of work to an already labor intensive endeavor. We'll see what happens. We believe people will ultimately take the awards for what they should be, a celebration of great fanfic!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Another question from me. When we say "three reviews or less" for Most Underrated, it means three reviews by 31 December, right? Or, put differently, if more people review the story while nominations are under way, is it still eligible for Most Underrated?

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes.

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    We're a part of a semi-anarchistic experiment! [face_dancing][face_devil]

Kriff Blasters - "Anarchy in the Fanfic"

Findswoman and divapilot like this.
  16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks for the answers so far, mods. :)

Another question apropos series, and specifically about nominating a series consisting of more than four stories. You say to nominate the first four using the SurveyMonkey form, and then to PM the mods—does it absolutely have to be the first four stories, in the chronological order of the series, or should it be the most recent four, or will any four work? (Since those first four may be the ones that weren't from this year.)

Again, many thanks. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hmmm. Yeah. Fill out the most recent 4, but then PM all the parts in the correct order.

Findswoman and Sith-I-5 like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The correct order is a new thing, I get? My last year's listing in the master list is not in the correct order. That, and I slightly altered one story's name. I guess I need to notify the Index Sock and have Raissa, the last year's ceremony host fix this, too?

Sorry for the partial off-topic. :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Findswoman likes this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I wouldn't worry about past indexes too much. We have more pressing matters. This is just so that we (hopefully) get things in the right order for the nomination reading list.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm a neatness-freak about super-weird stuff, sorry. o_O Did not mean to annoy.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Okay, you guys lost me there, but I had a long day so please bear with me. What do we call "the correct order"? Is it the order in which we think that the stories should be read, or the chronological order in-universe, or the order in which they were posted? (I'm talking about the PM to the mods here -- for the survey I'd obviously include the 2017 entries first so as to make checking for eligibility easier.)

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Whatever you see fit. Just put a note in the PM saying what you've done (if it's a story that wasn't posted in chronological order) and we will post it like that.

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  23. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  24. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    Didn't read, but if you need a simple volunteer, just a pawn, no politics and decisions (all the time consuming stuff in fact lol), you can count me in. ;)

25. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    <------ is willing to write a clever bit of 'entertainment' if such a thing is needed.