main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Cult Encounters and Supernatural Encounters (even more new Legends material!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Anyone notice that there seems to be a connection between the Kathol Sector (a bizarre place by any stretch of the imagination) and the evil gods? The Kathol people were said to have been created by the "Old Ones," which we now know are the evil gods, and they in turn created super-advanced technology including the Darkstryder, a Lovecraftian being in its own right. This was also where the Charon were flipped from Realspace to Otherspace, implied in this article to be the residence of the dark gods.

Iron_lord and Sinrebirth like this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Makes sense that there is at least some kind of connection.

I would suggest that another possible candidate for "dwelling of the greater gods" is Beyond Shadows.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Beyond_shadows

The Knell (one of the three factions that became the Sorcerers of Rhand, with which Cronal studied):

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Knell_of_Muspilli

are noted for seeking to summon apocalyptic deities from Beyond Shadows. Sounds like soulworm cultists.

3. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Glad this isn't canon. Their are no Gods in Star Wars. Their are Force entities like the Son, Daughter, Father and Bendu but no deities please.

4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
  5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    C-3P0 was a god (to the Ewoks). Jar Jar's super-brief life debt to Qui-Gon was demanded by "the gods." There are gods in Star Wars, or at the very least, people who believe in gods.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    ‘Godspeed.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Mia Mesharad, jSarek, spicer and 2 others like this.
  7. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    She should have said "Forcespeed" double entendre[face_rofl]

8. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Yes primitive cultures believe in deities. Yet they are wrong. Their is only the Force

9. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I'd call Force entities in general at least godlike myself.

Iron_lord and jSarek like this.
  10. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Are they, though? Someone, or something seemed to be looking out for Jar Jar. The Force? A god? The Lady (à la Discworld)? The galaxy is big, mysterious and there's a lot in it. Why not gods?

I just also find "'primitive' cultures = wrong" a tiresome idea.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    You're right. Calling them primitive is unfair. I'm just not polytheistic. I'm barely monotheistic to be honest

Darth_Duck likes this.
  12. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I have it on good authority that some primitive cultures in SW Legends worship a being called Jorj Lukas. In SW canon, other primitive cultures worship a giant mouse.

They don't actually send prayers though--they know they won't be answered. In fact, these deities are blamed for the constant warfare which primitive shamans say the deities create to entertain others of the deities' species.

It's actually the Jedi who are primitive and backwards, believing the constant warfare to be the " will of the force" and not recognizing it to be the twisted scripted drama made for entertainment that it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Sinrebirth and Hamburger_Time like this.
  13. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    I'm really looking forward tot he release of more of the unpublished work done during the RealEU, and can only hope that it will turn out to be as good as all of this article was. Well worth the wait!

Some time back I'd put together an article of my own on "The Cosmic War" that synthesized all of the various mentions of a great, Galxy-wide War in ancient times. It actually seems to have been a big background element in the very early EU, as multiple Marvel sources mention it: Keeper's World, the slagged outpost worlds Han mentions in #84 as having been outposts of Seoul that had been destroyed in a "cosmic war eons ago", the threat faced by the previous inhabitants of Yavin IV in the newspaper strips, and how ancient the Alashan civilization and its Guardian of Forever were (Guardian against what, exactly?)

Now, one or two such mentions from the early EU can be written off as a coincidence, but 4 separate early sources having an ancient Cosmic War as a background event? C'mon- that can't be a coincidence. It would seem to indicate plans to have told such a story at some point. Later EU tales also have mentions and hints of a similar conflagration- The Muurshantre Extinction from around 100,000 BBY mentioned in Cronal's thoughts during Shadows of Mindor, for example.

This Cosmic War was not the same as the Rakatan/Celestials/Kwa conflict, nor the later implosion of the Infinite Empire prior to the formation of the Republic. IT IS A MUCH EARLIER CONFLAGRATION that hit all sorts of widely separated Planets.

And now we have an article that seems to identify Vain Goddess Onrai with Abeloth, and which in turn lends a much, much more sinister vibe to that entire issue. If "Onrai", of Notron, was an earlier incarnation/escape of Abeloth- might not many of these otherwise unidentified threats faced by the above have been Abeloth? While I would personally prefer that the Alashan civilization to have been un-menaced by Abeloth and to have been unrelated to other Galactic civilizations (World of Fire is my favorite story, and it seems to be an EU version of Forbidden Planet), all of the other incidents could easily be retconned into having been earlier Abeloth-based disasters.

14. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I just read the World of Fire trilogy myself a few days ago and really liked it - apart from its portraying Luke and Leia as love interests, of course, but they had no way of knowing back then - and I found the last panel delightfully creepy. The heroes think they've shut the city down by trashing its control room... but after they leave, the lights switch back on and mechanical laughter is heard. Could the Alashan civilization have been an AI society, maybe? This article seems to indicate that Hextrophon later traveled to the city, and found evidence that the inhabitants had contact with the Old Ones.

SheaHublin likes this.
  15. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    Yes, and it was almost the only time I wish there hadn't been a name-drop reference of an obscure bit of the EU. Only because I want that story to stand alone, and the Alashan civilization to have been its own thing. Not everything needs to tie in to everything else. That being said, I too like the final panel, and what it implies (really, flat out says). I know a lot of our fellow posters here are going to be re-reading that particular story now- either an actual paperback or the reprint of it from the Wild Space: Volume 1 Omnibus, so we shouldn't say more openly. And yeah, there's nothing that really forbids them having (ultimately become) been an AI civilization, but I do prefer World of Fire to be the EU equivalent of Forbidden Planet, and the cities there as old as those in the film.

Along similar lines- have you read the part of Path of Destruction where it mentions that the wreckage of the Star Forge has formed a ring around Lehon? By itself that doesn't mean much, but there's speculation that, as the Forge was built using the same sort of self-repairing technology found in the Star Maps, that the Star Forge might actually be repairing itself! It had, after all, become a semi-living entity of sorts, as we know from Kotor. I really like the idea that Darth Bane managed to overlook that possibility completely, as might everybody else in the Galaxy due to Lehon's isolation and the ages it would take to fix itself (based on the repair rate of the Star Maps), until many millennia later.

16. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I'm also interested in the narrator's hypothesis that all the Galaxy's malevolent female deities are, or at least are inspired by, the same being, who is in turn implied to be Abeloth; she isn't mentioned by name, but I don't see who else a goddess with sharp teeth and pinpricks of light for eyes could be. So we get: Scorekeeper = Vain Goddess Onrai = Pius Dea Goddess = Lady with the Locust Heart = Abeloth. Going even further, if Abeloth was Onrai , and Onrai was the chief goddess of Notron (which we now know to be ancient Coruscant), then that means the ancestral human population worshipped Abeloth. Sometimes the most terrifying thing is humanity...

17. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    Yep- and it could have happened more than just once or twice over the eons. It gives a whole new dimension to Marvel #84, and by extension all of the other Cosmic War occurrences mentioned in the early EU.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hahaha "Dark Greetings" reference, nice.

19. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I'm not sure we can say Abeloth alone was responsible for all these long-forgotten disasters, though, as several of these other beings sound at least as powerful as she is, in particular the "greater trinity;" judging by their alternate names I'm going to guess Kopa Khan and The Inscrutable One are Cold Danda Sine and Splendid Ap of the Bedlam Spirits, while I'm not sure who the Soulworm could be. I'ts said to be imprisoned at the heart of the Galaxy, though, eternally biting its own tail, in what I assume is a reference to either the Norse Jormungand or the Ouroboros of alchemy.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Bloody hell. That is terrifying.

Sinrebirth and darklordoftech like this.
  21. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    And while we're on super-ancient societies... Goroth, Slave of the Empire has a reference to one of the eponymous planet's moons having mysterious ruins on it more than a billion years old. How they haven't long since succumbed to natural erosion I have no idea, but whatever built them is likely the oldest Galactic society we know of bar the Old Ones and Celestials themselves.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Do we know if, when Vader said "Immortal Gods of the Sith" in the original comic adaptation of ANH, he was referring to the Old Ones?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that, according to Book of Sith, the Sith regarded Ajunta Pall as a "manifestation of Typhojem the Left-Handed God" - that seems to be the idea - that Typhojem was one of the Gods of the Sith.

I've been rereading The Essential Atlas, and Kathol is described as associated with the Celestials - a possible Celestial construct - and Seoul is part of the Rakata Infinite Empire.

I would speculate that the Old Ones were revered by the Rakata as well as the Sith. Possibly it was their whisperings (especially Onrai/Abeloth's) that turned the Rakata from a Celestial client species, to a faction warring against the Celestials.

Given that Abeloth was locked away around 100,000 BBY, same time as various other major events, I would have that as the date of the "Cosmic War" and all Abeloth-related events after that as "she can't leave the Maw personally, so she speaks in people's dreams and whatnot."

Alternatively
    - the Cosmic War can take place 1 million odd years ago (the time the Mortis 3 are supposed to have first appeared) and Abeloth could have been corrupted by the Old Ones after their banishment.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Do you think Ajunta Pall and/or Phanius received whisperings from the Old Ones?

I wonder if the purpose of the Chosen One is to prevent Abeloth from getting released, and if Abeloth seeks to unbalance The Force in order to get released.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.