main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams To Score Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Articulate, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Obviously, most of us really hope JW will be well be able to finish off this trilogy, and in the event that he doesn't, whoever follows him will likely score in the same style ala the Superman and Harry Potter series.

What would you like to hear from the maestro in Ep. 9? Personally, instead of new themes, I think it would be really cool if he somehow incorporated all the major themes of the saga into the movie and maybe even into a single orchestra piece as well. However, of Rey does begin a new order of Force users, which seems inevitable, that would certainly suggest a new theme, perhaps one that makes a great companion piece to the Force theme.

Thoughts?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Michael Giacchino would almost certainly be the one tapped to replace John Williams if he was unable to finish. As it is, The Last Jedi largely reused themes rather than utilized fresh music, so even if JW passed away I'm almost certain episode IX would primarily recycle music than use new compositions regardless of whether it was John Williams, Michael Giacchino, or someone else.

I'd love it if they used Michiru Oshima's tremendous talents for a movie but I don't think they'll outsource the music to a Japanese composer (who tends to record the Moscow Symphony for her big orchestra scores and that's its own can of worms politically). So it goes.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  3. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    One theme I feel like we're missing, IMO, is a Rey/Kylo combination motif. They have separate ones, but I think this feels like something deserving of its own motif. A New Alliance and Connection (expanded soundtrack) are the closest, but one is a dark action piece (with a hint of Force theme briefly) and the other is more of a Force theme reworking. Depending on the story of IX, we could see something new here, though perhaps a variation on another one of the pieces in their key scenes or separate themes.

Han Solo, of course, was the main character who oddly never had a motif beyond what plays during his jaunty running in the Death Star kind of being associated with him in action and his love theme, which was a reworking of Leia's theme with more orchestration (Han Solo and the Princess). I've heard Williams is going to be writing one at long last for the Solo film, even though he's not composing for the whole film. It's a piece of music I'm quite looking forward to.

Darth_Articulate and Howard Hand like this.
  4. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    John Williams has been the "voice" of Star Wars for so long, it's hard to imagine what they will do when he is no longer involved in the series. I think if he was willing to, Disney/Lucasfilm should just get him in a room and have him compose tons of new themes they can re-purpose for years to come. There are lots of composers that could imitate his style and rework his older stuff, but there are very few composers working in the movie industry today that I think could really add new themes the way Williams can. Even if he does not compose the whole soundtrack, just having new themes appear as each movie comes out would be a treat.

I actually think the most interesting thing about Han Solo movie, is how the soundtrack will turn out with John Powell composing it along with a main theme from Williams.

However, if it were not possible for Williams to return in the future, I would really prefer them not to use Michael Giacchino. Nothing against him, but as of now, I do not find much of his work to be very memorable. Also mentioned above, I am not familiar with Michiru Oshima's work, but I would actually be very open with the possibility of them going with a Japanese composer in the future. There is some really great musical talent in the film, television and video game industry.

I would also be open to Kevin Kiner(clone wars/rebels) possibly getting a chance score a film at some point in the future.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Howard Hand and rebel_cheese like this.
  5. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Giacchino peaked with the video game Medal of Honor: Frontline, and then it was as if he forgot woodwinds existed and he's never been able to make it back to those heights (Up came close). He seems to want to emulate Williams but does not have that special "it" Williams has to effortlessly craft themes and motifs.

Oshima to me is a composer who is nearly at Williams' level. She can mimic Williams if requested, but her main style is magical in its own right and could fit Star Wars depending on the situation. She has a lot of experience scoring live action film and TV, more than anime actually (her anime work is better known Stateside because anime's penetrated here much more than Japanese film). She could do it.

Gen Rendar likes this.
  6. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Japanese anime composers are where it's at. They currently have a much higher standard than American blockbusters right now (apart from the odd Williams or Powell score) and way higher standards than the music for American television.

Gen Rendar likes this.
  7. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    The final duel needs to have something as epic as Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes.

Also they need to tone down the force theme. It's in so many scenes in TLJ. And please don't end the film on it again.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  8. BalanceOfTheForce

Dec 18, 2016
    It's annoying how a lot of the English dubs for anime replace the music

9. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    I totally agree about Giacchino. I was not aware Michiru Oshima was the one that composed Little Witch Academia. I found that to be a pretty great soundtrack, especially considering it was only meant to be a one time 26 minute short. She even worked in a very memorable "main theme," which fits the tone of the short film perfectly. I would have no problem with her doing work on Star wars, and I would tend to prefer it by far to almost any modern "Hollywood" style composer that works on most film scores these days.

For the most part I agree. The average Anime soundtrack has way more memorable themes and interesting compositions compared to almost any major blockbuster score coming out of Hollywood these days. Of course there are always exceptions, but generally they are at a much higher quality. Can you imagine hearing a great Anime score that was performed by the London Symphony Orchestra? That would be interesting.

Yeah, this is something that has left me a bit curious about TFA and TLJ's scores. I wonder if Williams is being asked to reuse and bring in the older themes, or if he just prefers to. It kind of makes you wonder if Lucas pushed for a big new theme each movie, while Disney is just happy to have him onboard or something. There have been a few good additions in the Sequel Trilogy, but I really hope we get something amazing for IX. I would love to see him top Duel of Fates.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think I speak for us all when I say we need more original concert arrangements. Those are what give us the grand new melodic themes rather than the numerous motifs, action pieces and callbacks of TLJ.

I can think of a ton off the top of my head (some famous themes like the Force theme or Kylo's theme don't really have a concert arrangement and are attached to other tracks)

ANH: Imperial Attack, Leia's theme, Dune Sea, Cantina, Tie Fighter Attack, Throne Room.
    ESB: Imperial March, Battle of Hoth, Han and Leia, Yoda's theme. Asteroid Chase.
    RoTJ: Rebel Briefing, Ewok March, Luke and Leia, Battle of Endor

TPM: Droid March, Flag Parade, Duel of the Fates
    AoTC: Coruscant Chase, Across the Stars, Arena March
    RoTS: Enter Lord Vader, Anakin's Betrayal, Anakin's Dark Deeds, Battle of the Heroes

TFA: Rey's theme, The Falcon, Resistance March, Scherzo for X Wings.
    TLJ: Fun w/ Finn and Rose, Holdo's Resolve, ???

R1: Rogue One, Guardians of the Whils Suite

11. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    Don't hate. Bruce Faulconer is the JW of the DBZ Series to me.

12. Marathonjedi77

Marathonjedi77 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE. TITLE UPDATE.

14. BalanceOfTheForce

Dec 18, 2016
    The rebellion is reborn, The spark

15. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    I liked Williams' use of the old themes in the ST. His use of the Force Theme in TLJ gave me chills. However, I have found his new scores rather unimpressive. I have bought one song off iTunes since the Disney Era, and it's from Rogue One. I hope as (probably) his last SW score, as it's the end of the Saga, he creates something truly memorable.

MasterPrince713 and Gen Rendar like this.
  16. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Good to see the official word come through.

It's also high time Williams gets a cameo in the films. Please sneak him into Episode IX!

17. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    The string nerd in me loves this thread. Lots of great leitmotifs dating back to 1977 to build upon. So things I would like to see:

• Ben Solo's Theme--if he is headed toward a personal redemption or reconciliation, I would love to hear a theme hat is hopeful. We've heard Kylo Ren's leitmotifs,so it's time for those harsh lower brass to hopefully yield to something softer to reflect the lost boy and hopefully more mature Ben reemerging.
    • Rey and Ben's Theme--two parts of the protagonist. If Ben manages to pull his head out of his butt and they are standing shoulder to shoulder (+/- romance), I would love to have a theme for the two of them.
    • Leia's Farewell--I'm already prepared that she will die in this film. Would love to hear the Luke and Leia theme and the Princess and the Scoundrel leitmotifs that appeared in Luke's appearance to Leia in TLJ. Then throw in Ben's theme to being her story to close.
    • Grand Marshall Hux--let's face it, he's staging a coup. Let's just say he succeeds as styles himself like a military dictator such as Colonel Gadaffi or General Francisco Franco. He'll deserve his own leitmotif.
    • Balance in the Force: dark and light are resolved. Rey's theme, Ben's theme, The Force theme plus something new.

Siphonophore likes this.
  18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    This is news?

19. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I wouldn't call them original considering they are both apologetically rooted In the Imperial March and the Spark contains not one, but two quotes from the OT.

I was cheering for him to be playing a space piano on Canto Bight. Alas...perhaps it might have been too meta.

20. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    This is good news!

Darth_Articulate and Darth Smurf like this.
  21. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    May God bless him always and may he always be in the pink of health. John Williams is going to wrap it all up at Episode IX. A complete saga. They are going to finish this up with a bang.

22. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I am a bit underwhelmed by the 2 new soundtracks from the ST, but they are not terrible scores. JW does need to finish off the saga - hope he lives forever.

MasterPrince713 and B99 like this.
  23. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I wonder if he'll watch any of the Star Wars films after he's finished scoring Ep. 9?

24. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    This is largely my problem with JW's work on the ST. He has some decent work in the films so far, but, especially in The Last Jedi, he's been recycling a lot of past themes instead of creating and strengthening new ones. "The Battle of Crait", for example, recycles at least five or six past themes, such as "Jango's Escape" from Attack of the Clones, and there's no good reason why it would do so.

It just feels like JW is coasting a bit, like the ST isn't tickling his imagination like the OT and PT did, so he's basically recycling his past glories while managing Giacchino-style orchestral noise for everything else. Doesn't stop him from still being a legend, though.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    MasterPrince713 likes this.
  25. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    Even if he's returning, I just feel meh.

His music from Ep. III was godly; the intro with the drums of war, the build up and then the nose dive into sheer epic-ness still has me geek out on the inside!!! Now? Meh.

Either his age is hampering him or the people he's working for are holding him back. Frankly I feel JJ utilized him better than RJ did so here's hoping JJ allows him more creativity. Not that it's really saying much, but TFA music had a heck of a lot more memorable music themes than TLJ; hell, I barely noticed the music, it was so ordinary and so unlike John Williams.

The dude from Rogue One did a masterful job with the music. You could tell it wasn't Williams yet at the same time it was still SW.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    CaptainEO likes this.