main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reading NJO...Again

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicewood, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Han’s monologue at the end of VP, Leia’s speech during the fall of Coruscant, the casualties of the battle of Coruscant in Traitor, the end of TUF. Also pretty much anything said by the Wraiths and Rogues in Enemy Lines. Oh and my sig.

2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    "None shall pass" is one of the best.

I have a list of my fave Star Wars quotes, so there are a plethora from the NJO

3. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    I like that one, but it's hard to say it's the best to me since it's not original at all. I immediately started laughing when I read it bc I thought of the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. And I'm sure that line has been said other times than that also.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I always think of it being a Gandalf ripoff, but with more glorification of violence.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    DurararaFTW and Xander Vos like this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    it's Ganner being who he is

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  6. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I think Luke's presence, although he goes through many ups and downs, is to be a bit of a steady-hand -- like I mentioned, he serves the best as a contrast and as a sort of Dumbledore figure. I wouldn't change much of his arc. The series is not about him, but it would not help the themes of the series to kill him or, as TLJ did, completely deconstruct him -- that's going overboard. I imagine if you enjoy TLJ you may disagree, but being that I think it's against the entirety of the film saga, you can gather I don't. :p And in fact, some of my favorite quotes of the series come from Luke himself. In particular, that line he gives to Jaina, in Destiny's Way, is an all-time favorite of the entirety of Star Wars, including the films.
    Speaking of which, it might be cool to continue to gather and post our favorite New Jedi Order quotes. I will likely include some of them in the NJO video game project.

7. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    "He wasn't even breathing heavily." Jacen about Luke in TUF

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The best quote of the series:

"...Jacen had learned that one can meet the Universe and all its irrational pain -- which means meeting oneself -- with fear, or with hatred, or with despair. Or one can choose to meet it with love.
    "Jacen had chosen.
    "But still, he was astonished to discover that the Universe could love him back."

Slater, Revanfan1, Ghost and 3 others like this.
  9. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    That's a great quote!!! Too bad one of the worst is also from that book b/t Luke and Jaina. I'm talking about when he names her Sword of the Jedi.

First, it's so depressing what he says. I'd turn down that job IMMEDIATELY!!!
    Second, she's just put on the shelf for the most part moving forward so it's not that big of a deal. She's criminally underused in NJO, TDN, and at least early parts of LOTF(all I've read so far.) That just ruins being "Sword of the Jedi".

10. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Though I don't mind the SOTJ thing, it does seem sudden and just kind of there, without getting used later. In an interview with WJW who wrote Destiny's Way, he said it was in a moment of inspiration that he wrote that, completely unplanned. He said he figured future authors would make use of it. By and large it doesn't look anyone really did, at least until the situation at the end of LOTF.

SWpants and OutsiderJediSam like this.
  11. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    “Borsk does what Borsk needs to do, at any given moment, to benefit Borsk. And he’s so jaded by that personal philosophy that he thinks everyone else plays by the same rules.” – Luke (Vector Prime)

And not a character quote, but:
    “Pain was not to be rejected, but embraced. As Shedao Shai saw it, the only true constant in reality was pain. Birth was pain, death was pain, all change required pain. To reject pain was to deny the very nature of the universe. Personal weakness distanced people from pain.” (Dark Tide II: Ruin)

“‘Death, Leia Organa Solo, is the highest truth of the universe.’
    ‘No,’ she said. ‘Life is the highest truth.’
    ‘Death ends life.’
    ‘There can be no death where there has been no life. Life binds the galaxy together.’” - with Tsavong Lah (Balance Point)

“You’re not going to the dark side on my watch. Do it on Luke’s.” – Corran (Edge of Victory II: Rebirth)

12. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    Can these novels still be found in a book store or am I gonna have to travel far and wide? I need to get around to a site that Smuggler recommended but I'm something of a procrastinator. :p

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Amazon if you need to.

14. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    What's this I heard about audio books? Frankly, that sounds far more compelling than simply reading them. I won't delude myself into thinking the voice actors voice the book entries, but just curious.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Pretty much every story up to the start of the FOTJ are abridged so YMMV.

16. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Erm, when you say abridged....?

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Parts of the story are missing.
    The Battle of Coruscant isn't in Star By Star for example.

18. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Gotcha. Thanks.

I've read through an abridged Legends timeline myself. Quite a doozy. When I was younger, I was disheartened that history only seemed to repeat itself in SW, but now I appreciate the Legends content more than ever.

Can't wait to finally get around to it all.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Makes me sad the Sword of the Jedi trilogy was the major victim of the de-canonisation. In terms of not being written.

20. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    It's so weird that all these Jedi Knights and Masters no one had ever heard of suddenly appear and are more trusted than Kyp Durron. I think it becomes even more jarring in Balance Point when Luke is having his little Jedi meetings on Coruscant.

Kenth Hamner, for instance, comea right out of nowhere.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Revanfan1 and OutsiderJediSam like this.
  21. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    I would have loved a Sword of the Jedi trilogy - I'm a big Jaina fan or I want to be...it's hard with what we got

22. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    Suffice to say I think there was a good chunk of the war where Kyp was treated as the equivalent of flaming bantha poodoo by some factions of the Jedi. :p So I suppose it wouldn't be hard to be more trusted (or at the very least, less distrusted) than Kyp.
    I remember this:
    Ever since I remembered that quote I've thought it kind of packs a punch. Without Luke around, who knows what would have happened to Kyp -- and not necessarily just at the hands of the Yuuzhan Vong, either... Could be wrong about this, but if I remember right there were a fair few that thought he should be prevented from doing more of his "heroics."

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The thing is, Kyp was one of the top Jedi in Bantam. He and Luke werent hostile to each other, he was significantly humbled by his manipulation by Exar Kun, and he doesnt come off as a hot head in his appearance after JAT prior to VP.

Suddenly, he's a hothead vigilante and rival for Luke... and all these other older, veteran Jedi appear literally out of nowhere to create factions in the tiny Jedi Order.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gamiel and OutsiderJediSam like this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It's because like Lumiya was originally the "Wizard" in LOTF before the character was determined to be significantly similar enough to Lumiya to use her, Kyp Durron's character was originally a brand new character. The NJO was originally going to be mostly a fresh start on the continuity as Del Rey's first novel in the era, with the only characters from Bantam transitioning over intended to be Mara Jade, Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin.

Someone on the story team decided that this Jedi who was Luke's rival was similar enough to Kyp Durron to use him, and so it happened. Then Stackpole reused his stuff and Luceno is a continuity buff so the story started to pick up where Bantam left off.

25. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Wasn't there some theory that Kenth was some other character? From that childrens series? Or am I mixing up characters?