main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forum Upgrade 2017

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Dec 23, 2017.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Always the newest version of Chrome. I think this is something in the settings, not something on the users' end.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Do you know if any other fan fic people are having the same issue? (And aren't using Chrome?)

Edit - @Grimby - our Help section seems to have gone missing. It used to be up where Members, Staff, etc are.
    Edit2 - nvm. I found it. For those who haven't, it's now down at the bottom right next to 'Contact Us'.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @LAJ_FETT I've had a slightly different issue when copying-pasting from Word or Google Docs in fanfic. It used to be that copy-paste kept all the formatting (font, bold, italics, hyperlinks etc.) but now it removes everything except the hyperlinks. This is also on Chrome; I'll be working on Forefox with socks in the next couple of days so I'll let you know if it's the same over there (and I'll check if it does the same with copying-pasting links like EP described above).

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks. I just use Firefox so let's find out if it's a browser or board issue.

5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Both of you - will check in other browsers (haven't used them since back in the days when each supported a different set of CSS properties) and see what 'appens. :)

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Thanks!

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Tried Chrome incognito mode, tried Firefox, tried IE, tried Opera. No issues in any of those, so I believe that it was a cookie-related thing, oddly enough. Worked normally after I emptied the cache.

I also tried copy and paste from Word or Docs to WYSIWYG and replicated Chyntuck's problem. I normally don't copy and paste from any rich text editor myself, in order not to get unnecessary code wrappers around each single line of text, but once again, most people do.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Just noticed the last 3 pages of the Game Of Thrones thread are not allowing full pages of posts. It's like they are cut in half compared to the rest.

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Trivial question here.

I was thinking tonight about a thread crash I had under the old Xenforo with the {link} BBCode for URLs. With the upgrade, do they work now?

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Why are embedded YouTube videos so tiny when they're in a quoted post? Example.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I like that feature, actually. It's too cluttered when they're full size.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's more that the quote is much larger so there's a lot of empty space.

Ricardo Funes and jcgoble3 like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So something I just realized. On Mobile devices can you no longer see people’s signatures?

14. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Have you tried rotating your phone horizontally?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BookExogorth and Bazinga'd like this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Huh. The more you know.
    Thanks all

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi all!

First of all, I think the new forums look absolutely fab—thanks to the admins for all their hard work in making that happen.

And now here's my question: is the dice-throwing functionality still around somewhere? I don't see it in the spot where it was in the old forums, and I'm not clear where to look for it in the new interface. Hoping it hasn't disappeared—we in Fanfic use it with some frequency for choosing challenge prompts, and I know some other games on the forums have used it too. My apologies if this has already been asked.

Thanks so much! :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I believe that particular feature is gone for now. I can't make any promises that we'll be able to bring it back (because I don't know if there are versions compatible with the new software) but I'm sure it's something we can look into if it's something that's actually been useful for people.

Sith-I-5, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  18. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    Meow! Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I don't see view counts on threads any more. Was this removed on purpose? If not, can it be added back at some point please?

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    How are you accessing the boards? I see view counts just fine both when I'm logged in and when I'm not. They're just below the replies count.

20. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay-dokey, I just tried to use the Quote part of the Like Quote Reply options on a post, and whilst a banner dropped down to say that something had been added to a multi-quote, then when I tried it again, another banner removed the post from a multi-quote...what actually is supposed to happen?

My intention was to get the quoted post into the text bix, but that did not happen, either under Rich Text Format, or Plain Text. Prior to the upgrade, I could only get quotes into the text box using Plain Text (or manually using the BBCode).

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The +Quote is a multi-quote option. So when you highlight something and hit the +Quote that pops up, or when you hit the +Quote button at the bottom of a post it adds that highlighted area or post to a list. You can add many parts or posts to this list. (So for example you want to quote multiple things in a fic to comment. You highlight the part you liked hit the +Quote that pops up and then keep reading. When you come to something else you want to quote you highlight and hit it again.)

Then when you are ready to actually reply, when you go down to the text box you'll see something on the left that says "Insert Quotes". Click that and all the things you'd hit +quote on will be there. You can remove quotes you don't want to add to the post or you can hit "Quote these messages" and all of them will be in quote boxes in your post.

So when you hit it the first time, it added the post to your multi-quote list, if you hit quote on the same post, it removes it from your quote list (You'll notice it says -Quote after you've hit it once on the post since hitting it again will remove it from your multi-quote list)

To do it the other way you can hit reply (either with highlighting or for the whole post) and it will automatically add it to the text box.

I hope that makes sense, it's kinda hard to explain.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Thumper09, jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Also, it's called a modal or a pop-up, not a banner. ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Question is the search function back to working order?

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure it is - for recent stuff (since the upgrade) anyway. I don't know if Grahame still needs to do any index rebuilds for older stuff.

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Any news on missing shortcodes (horizontal rule and highlighted text) and the title editing functionality?