main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things you like and dislike about the Disney era so far? SEE WARNING ON PAGE 7

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DJT, Oct 3, 2017.

1. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    I've seen The Last Jedi four times now and I still give Disney/Lucasfilm a solid A on their report card so far. Though I loved TLJ since I first saw it, it hasn't had the immediacy of greatness for me that The Force Awakens had from the first viewing. Each time I've seen TLJ I've walked out loving it more. It's a different experience than TFA but it's just about as great. So far so good, at least for me, anyway. I do think they need to be more careful with hiring directors as it has been sometimes problematic.

2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    -I've enjoyed all three new movies a lot. I think they've done well with them. I don't think I'll ever not enjoy watching TFA and RO has got better and better each time I watch it.
    -Bringing in Claudia Grey to author novels. She has knocked it out of the park with her books so far. Not sure how much of a screenwriter she is, but I wouldn't complain at all if she was announced to write a new movie.
    -I'm looking forward to what future anthology movies they make. Hoping like most for an Obi-Wan one.

Indifferent
    -I don't mind that they made the EU non-canon. First, it's not like they destroyed every copy of the works. I can still read them if I want. Second, you don't spend $4+ billion dollars to be handcuffed with the stories you can tell.
    -I have mixed feelings on the whole live-action series. I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong with it, but I just think the live-action should be kept to the big screen.

Dislikes
    -Absolute pathetic home video releases of the movies so far. I know there's not as much money made from home releases as there once was but the extra stuff they put on both the TFA and RO releases was piss poor. Whatever opinion you have of the prequels, the DVDs of those were all great. Just loaded with great stuff. They can't even put together a quality making of featurette now. Don't even get me started on the double dipping of the TFA release too...
    -Chuck Wendig. Enough said.
    -I like the show but sometimes Rebels is a real miss. They have had some really bad filler episodes and just head scratching stuff over the course of it (AP-5 in space, The Iron Squadron episode might be one of the worst SW universe things ever. Can't describe my hate for that episode).
    -Excluding Ben Burtt from the sound design of the new movies. He's pretty much the greatest sound designer ever. Disney has had no contact with him. https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/ben-burtt-star-wars-sound

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  3. williamjj666

williamjj666 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 8, 2016
    Well there will be more star wars movies in the future and since im a big fan that is always a good news. I wish they would expand the universe rather than sticking around a definite time period for all the movies.

4. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I wish GL was involved. Even if it was on a consultant level. I know, they both went their separate ways, but still. SW will always be GLs, no matter how much Disney does with it. I don't dislike the new films either. RO, to me anyway, was the best movie so far from the new "regime". I didn't care too much for TFA (don't hate it, just enjoy it less), however I enjoy TLJ very much.

5. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I also wish George Lucas was involved on some level. He has a special touch that is conspicuously absent from the sequel trilogy.

Rogue One is the only Disney Star Wars movie I actually enjoy from beginning to end. I don't understand the "pacing problem" complaint and I find the characters to be interesting and well fleshed out. I love all the characters, including the villains. I do wish there was more Jedha City/Saw Gurrera/Kyber Temple Guardians content, but that's just a byproduct of loving that portion of the movie so much. Also, Catalyst, the companion novel, is excellent.

There are aspects of TFA that I like, but it hasn't grown on me as I had hoped it would; like TPM did.

I'm still struggling with TLJ. Right now I really dislike how Luke and the other characters were portrayed. Its hard for me to root for anyone because, based on the way they are portrayed, in TLJ specifically, I don't find any of them to be particularly likeable. I feel like, if had grown up with this vision of Star Wars, I would never have become a Star Wars fan in the first place. The Yoda scene is particularly hard to digest... I really hope it will grow on me.

MS1, Darkslayer and DarthKreVass like this.
  6. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    The new films do NOT look like what George did in the previous 6. I mean, yes, the ships are similar, etc, but there's a quality, and a "world building" that's just not there. I also think the way George framed and shot his scenes are very different. Yes, I know, directors are different. But ANH, TESB, ROTJ all look to be framed the same, with that SW look and feel even though they all had different directors. The main element that was always present was GL.

I'm not suggesting that JJ, Rian are bad directors, but there's something missing in these new movies. The ONLY film so far from the new crop is RO, which did a good job of being close to what GL did. Even the world building in that one was actually quite good.

But, I guess it's to be expected when GL and Disney goes their separate ways. I'm hoping that the new trilogy RJ is going to be developing takes SW on other paths, because this ST crop of movies seem to be trying to "hold on" to what was. Looking forward to moving away from the Skywalker storyline.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darkslayer like this.
  7. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    This sounds familiar. My mantra, after TPM was "more Star Wars is always better than less Star Wars".

I agree! I really don't understand why they felt the need to make new number episodes. They should have gone a hundred or a thousand years into the future or past. If they had abandoned the numbered episodes and, for the most part, left Skywalker saga alone, I think the new films would be much less divisive.

8. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I agree! I really don't understand why they felt the need to make new number episodes. They should have gone a hundred or a thousand years into the future or past. If they had abandoned the numbered episodes and, for the most part, left Skywalker saga alone, I think the new films would be much less divisive.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but I've found that the Star Wars stories that were totally disconnected from the saga of the movies often raised the question for me: "Why do I care?" While new characters can draw people in (the new characters in the sequel trilogy sold me on the movies long before we saw any familiar faces), I do wonder how well a random movie set in the Star Wars world would've been received over a a de facto sequel.

9. williamjj666

williamjj666 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 8, 2016
    Maybe, but I've found that the Star Wars stories that were totally disconnected from the saga of the movies often raised the question for me: "Why do I care?" While new characters can draw people in (the new characters in the sequel trilogy sold me on the movies long before we saw any familiar faces), I do wonder how well a random movie set in the Star Wars world would've been received over a a de facto sequel.[/QUOTE]

don't really need to make it totally disconnected from the main story. the PT has expanded the star wars mythos so much regarding the sith, jedi and numerous characters which many would like to see more of. it can also tie in to the existing stories too.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  10. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Because the hero trio from the OT had aged in real time and it was a unique, last opportunity to feature them 30 years after ROJ.

Whether that opportunity has paid off or was instead wasted, is a different story.

11. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    This is the exact question I found myself asking when I walked out of TFA and TLJ.

So, to me, the de facto sequel strategy did not alleviate this issue. If anything, the way this strategy has been executed has made me care less about the future of characters that I have been fascinated by for more than 30 years.

12. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    I totally agree on this one. He's always been one of my favorite people who contributed greatly to the Star Wars saga.

eko32eko7 and Guidman like this.
  13. Asajj Ventress

Asajj Ventress Jedi Padawan

Jan 3, 2018
    What I like: it seems to be a lot more accessible to new fans and fans of different backgrounds. A lot more open to diversity. A lot more cohesive (Legends wasn't thrown away, just categorized as different.)

What I dislike: the fans lol. For a few different reasons. Also trying way to hard to cash in on the previous films... a Han Solo movie? really? Also still no respect for Ahsoka in the films... wish they'd mention her.

Idk, the "Disney" era seems to have a lot of the same problems as the pre-Disney era.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  14. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Well that just isn't right.

Jesta' and eko32eko7 like this.
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm going to go ahead and say that I quite enjoy everything about the Disney era SW so far. Even TLJ; when I first saw it, I was like "What the $?@! did I just see!!?" But after seeing it again, and it growing on me, I actually quite like it.

I suppose there is only ONE single thing that I was bothered by in all the recent films so far-and it's continuity related, from a visual standpoint. I really have an issue with how Yoda's force ghost looks in TLJ. The silhouette doesn't "shimmer" like in the OT films, and also he is not transparent, where we can see background elements thru him. Did anyone else notice this? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere...?

Honestly everything else I enjoy, or at least can have an open mind about...I suppose if there's one other thing, I'd wish they would explore different eras besides the Imperial/post Imperial era. Then again, in a few years that may be just what we get...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  16. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I did notice that. A couple of the stories in the From a Certain Point of View anthology did deal with Force ghosts and suggested that they became more sold and real-looking over time, so I wonder if the writers had TLJ Yoda in mind when writing it.

17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    My favorite thing about the Disney era: the droids. K-2SO, BB-8 and Chopper. :)

And how can I forget Mr. Bones?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    [face_thinking] Interesting..........Interesting...

That is all I will say about that I guess, cos I'm not sure I'm "sold on it" with their explanation on that...;)

YES. Mr. Bones! I would've loved to see him in a live action film! Just thinking about the scenes I read in the Aftermath series, I kept thinking, "I would love to have SEEN this!" He was by far the funniest part of Aftermath.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  19. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I loved Rogue One. Everything else so far, I'm just not a fan of. So far I'm not that impressed with Disney's run with it.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  20. KamenSentaiMetalHero

KamenSentaiMetalHero Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2017

21. KamenSentaiMetalHero

KamenSentaiMetalHero Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    Like: Rebels, Rogue One, The Sequel Trilogy
    Dislike: the oversaturation of OT, the cancellation of TCW, The Sequel Trilogy being made too much like the OT, lack of PT material especially between Episodes I and II, Forces of Destiny

22. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Like:
    Anthology films- I loved Rogue One and love what I've seen so far for Solo.
    TFA
    The novels by Claudia Gray
    Forces of Destiny- as a female fan who grew up with the OT and raised a daughter on Star Wars this product line is something that I wish we'd had a long time ago. I know most of the characters didn't exist but she would have loved to have had stories on Leia and Padme in this format, the action figure aspect of the doll line, etc. She loved wearing an old brown blanket over her shoulders and dragging around a plastic lightsaber attached to her waistband when she was small enough to have it almost touch the floor. She's not thinking of having kids any time soon but I am half tempted to grab up what I can now in case I have a granddaughter some day.

Indifferent:
    TCW
    Rebels
    Comics

Dislike:
    The Last Jedi- this is the first Star Wars film I haven't liked in 40 years.

MS1, Tython Awakening and TripleZero like this.
  23. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017

New star wars saga films
    new star wars standalone films
    Old Republic has continued but without new comics and novels
    almost all single comics are available in digital format
    Rogue One
    Force Awakens
    Marvel will reprint most EU comics
    New actors in the saga films and standalones

Dislikes:

Rebooted canon
    Expanded Universe Canon has lower status for new canon to draw upon
    Rebels
    Battlefront I and II
    Disney-Lucasfilm co-branding
    George Lucas retired
    Ancient Star Wars stories have been discontinued unless you follow game story content in Old Republic
    new Disney canon
    death or disappearance of major characters in the saga films

CaptainHamYoyo and Jesta' like this.
  24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    So wait, are four of yours just about the New Canon existing?

In addition, what do you mean by "Expanded Universe Canon has lower status for new canon to draw upon"?

25. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    @Outsourced

The Legends / EU material is there to draw upon in the new "canon" stories. "Canon" is a tricky word, however. It supposes an authority can decide which works constitute an official body of knowledge. There will always be disagreement as to which works genuinely fit together as a body of work. Since Star Wars falls into the mediums of arts and entertainment, generating billions of dollars every year, tossing out cherished "older" artistic works that have built up fan communities is difficult.

The same conditions are present now compared to the early-90's when Star Wars fiction and comics started up again. The Marvel Comics and SW novels were there to draw upon for the new stories and eventually they got incorporated into EU timelines, licensed and unofficial.