main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #38-43: The Ashes of Jedha (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 4, 2017.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I can't count the times now I've seen the exact same jarring expression on Han's face

Jedi Jessy and kalzeth like this.
  2. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Star Wars #42 preview:

THE ASHES OF JEDHA, PART 5
    The Leviathan is heading for the remains of Jedha, prepared to pick the carcass of the once-holy planet clean. But with Luke Skywalker torn between his allegiance to the Rebellion and pursuing the path of a Jedi, who will lead the charge against the Empire?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  3. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Oh mah gawd the faaaces. I don't understand even.

4. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    I'd love to be excited about this arc. For the most part, I enjoy the direction it is moving. Gillen was right: there isn't a ton the comic could do about Luke's Force training while staying away from where he was in ESB. This renewed focus on the Rebellion, potentially mapping with Twilight Company, is a GREAT move. I love having the Rebels team up with the Partisans. Using Queen Trios to move away from movie characters and explore uncharted areas of this timeline is awesome.

But the coloring. It consistently kills the mood. I don't mind the tracing, because if that's what helps me get double issue months sometimes, it's fine. I'll take it! I just can't stand when the coloring draws attention to the traced faces. Han in the cantina, but actually it is Jedha...eek.

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The writing in that preview is wonderful, both in how it talks about Rogue One, but also about things Luke will wrestle with again come TLJ.

6. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    I can't help but feel that this face is an argument FOR Larroca's tracing...

[​IMG]

7. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I like the STORY. The rest? Woof.

8. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    They made it before (I think since The Screaming Citadel)

9. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    It is easy. If you divide a number by 2 and it ends up being a full number, that is even. If it ends up not being a whole number it is an odd number.

As far as this series, the end of issue 41 really confused me. What was the item they were holding? Was my issue missing a page? Was I missing something? I am liking the story of this arc so far, but I feel like there is something holding it back. Don't know if it is character development, the art, or both. I like the art a lot better in the preview for 42, but I would prefer taking time with the art and with planning the story out more to make it a bit more interesting.

Other then that, as I said above, I am liking this arc a bit better. May be the Partisans and the queen but whatever it is, I hope we get more of it!

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah. I've defended Larocca quite a bit but the various images that have come up since - Star Wars #31? - have been this terrible mishmash of two utterly incompatible styles.

11. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    The OTHER thread is awaiting with open arms. You will be embraced. And loved. And transformed.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, but that thread is for those who've embraced the full horror by buying and reading the issues!

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  13. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    How else are we supposed to induce self flagellation? We aren’t going to steal our self harm material. It adds to the release to pay money for it before the suffering begins.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    What’s this? We might get an actual battle in a Star WARS comic? What sorcery is this!?!

15. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    I'm really enjoying the story, and I'm sad both that the subpar art is dragging down that story somewhat AND, maybe even worse, that it's completely derailed all actual discussion of the story online.

16. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    ABSOLUTELY. I feel like if this series is discussed, we're discussing the art. It's pretty bad, that's for sure. But I think the story is producing quite a bit to talk about (do we like Leia's portrayal? and Luke's lesson was pretty cool), but it's overshadowed by the tracing. The Star Wars series, in Out Among the Stars, probably had one of my favorite moments in Star Wars comics but the tracing showed up in the next panel anyway.

I just feel that Gillen's intro would have been so much stronger, and rightfully praised, had he been paired with someone less controversial.

That being said, I'm not thrilled about the prospect of more traced characters tomorrow, so.

The Raddinator and rjrjr like this.
  17. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    Comics are a visual media and the artwork is going to be just as important as the writing. Unfortunately the artwork in this title is distracting. I've collected Star Wars comics since the beginning, and there have been some really bad issues over the years (the end of the original Marvel run comes to mind.) This just happens to be one of those periods. I know if I wait long enough, the artist will change for the better.

As for the story, I hope with the revelations of the last issue, Luke is back on track to being a Rebel.

spicer likes this.
  18. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    I really liked what Gillen did with the last issue in particular because it feels like he's directly tackling some of the issues people had with Aaron's run, and also he's moving Luke towards where he needs to be for ESB. It feels like we can bracket the early period after ANH off now as being when Luke develops his Jedi knowledge and interests; including both the Heir to the Jedi and Weapon of a Jedi books. Then after this, he realises that (as many people have complained!) he's been neglecting the rebel side, so we'll see how he gets from here to 'Commander Skywalker'.

It felt like something of a climax for Luke's portrayal in this book to date, and gives it more a sense of being a phase in his development rather than just 'how he is'. IMO it's reminiscent of some of the best parts of Gillen's Vader run for that reason - he's trying to make these stories feel less like irrelevant adventures in between movies and more like chapters in how the characters got from how they are in one movie to the next.

19. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The artwork has its own thread, specifically created with the intent of keeping the complaints about "tracing" and so forth from overwhelming discussion of the story. It's over here should anyone want to take advantage of it.

20. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Just finished the issue.

I liked the dialogue in this issue. Luke indeed seems to be getting on track with his ESB direction now. Wondering if I need to start shipping Luke and Ubin or if Ubin is merely going to be around for this arc and will leave the story once it is over. Looks like we got a battle of princesses for next issue.

21. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    1. Never! Luphra for life!

2. Was there a battle as the cover implies, or was that misleading? I’ve been craving some warfare in my Galactic Civil War.

vncredleader likes this.
  22. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Small quick battle. No armies of anykind being gathered yet though

23. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I'm really liking this arc, so far, or at least I want to, but I feel like I need to go back and reread the last few issues because I feel like I've forgotten stuff that happened.

24. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I liked that they are more closer of ESB

25. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I don’t usually comment on SW comics but I want to on this one just to vent a little. I am enjoying the convergence of R1 and Jedha with Han, Leia and Luke. I enjoy the portrayal of the partisans, the Jedha pilgrimages and mystics, and Han and Leia. That stuff really hits the spot for me.

However, I don’t really love endlessly mopey Luke. It feels way too shoehorned in to make him match TLJ Luke, but it does not feel like an authentic reflection of the character we know from this time period. In particular, the way he talked about Jyn and the R1 crew’s sacrifice was just false to me. Luke was not depressed in the OT. He was a ridiculously naive optimistic. That’s kind of the entire point of the character in that series.

It’s too bad because unlike you guys, I’m not bothered by the art in this series. For me it’s not as enjoyable as Vader or Aphra comics, but there have been specific panels that genuinely move me and make up for the silly ones.

Jedi Jessy likes this.