main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should the ST be Expanded to a Quadrilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Boba Frett, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I wouldn't be opposed to it. It won't happen, though.

2. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Won’t happen, but I wouldn’t mind it because I to feel like we need to see more. Feels like we haven’t seen enough and it’s already almost done. I really think they are going to keep this a three part trilogy.

But I feel we do need to see a trilogy after this one sometime in the future even if it’s ten years from now. If all of the old characters were to be killed off for the ST to shine, for what one movie? I don’t see what the point is. I thought that these new characters were going to be around for the long haul.

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The reason why people don’t feel like the ST and the new characters have been fleshed out enough is because, really, by the end of Episode 9, it would have felt like only two films as oppose to three. As SW fans we’re use to time jumps, but TFA and TLJ, two films of a trilogy, take place literally in the same week. In a way, they’re a two-parter. Episode 9 will weirdly feel like the only standalone one and will be the odd one out.

A lot of people say TLJ has left no questions that need to be answered, and thus, they have no anticipation whatsoever for Episode 9. For me, it’s the exact opposite. I’m actually anticipating Episode 9 greatly because TLJ leaves no clues really as to where it will go. It’s literally a blank canvas.

4. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    We probably won't see an extension of the current story outside of the EU; though the new trilogy has the opportunity to 'give it another go'.

Sucks that the ST was/is a bit of a waste story wise. I didn't grow up on the OT but I can empathize with those disgruntled fans who wanted to see this era done differently and these characters written in better manner.

Ironic that it's only by going back in time (I'm assuming RJs new trilogy is set in the past, though I could be wrong) that we can hope to get a story that sets itself apart from what's already been established....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  5. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    I think Luke Skywalker should transcend physical death in IX and be around for X through XII as the Jedi Master role overseeing the building and teaching of a new generation of Jedi. Being the most powerful character in a story is not the same as being the main character unless we're talking Dragon Ball / Z or some other battle shonen manga series. Anakin and Luke were never the most powerful characters in the story. Rey isn't either. Luke being alive and powerful with the Force doesn't take the story away from new characters. The primary protagonist in a story is a matter of perspective. A story can be told about new characters without killing all the old characters. Absolutely needing the death of old characters to allow new ones to shine is bad storytelling - an admission that the new characters pale in comparison to the old and thus can't shine unless the much more interesting characters are removed from play. For the record, I don't feel this way - I really like Rey, Finn, & Poe. Rose is okay too. Maz seems like she could be really interesting. Kylo Ren is a really interesting character and I hope he survives. I'm saying the new can co-exist with the old. If it can't, that means the new isn't very compelling or interesting on its' own. I don't think this is true of the new characters - thus I don't see the need to kill off the old characters prematurely. I was sad, but generally okay with Han dying. I don't think it's the right time for Luke Skywalker's story to end.

I think there is much that can be done in a potential X, XI, & XII that would introduce new characters and allow Rey, Finn, Poe, & Ben / Kylo's stories to continue...along with Luke Skywalker.

I like the idea that a fourth trilogy would be written as a sort of capstone, would tie together elements from all 3 preceding trilogies. If the prequel trilogy is about the 'parents' or predecessors of the OT characters and the sequel trilogy is about the 'children' or successors to the OT characters, I would say that a fourth trilogy would be about generations, about the connectivity between eras, the bonds between these characters, and would ultimately touch on the things that lie beyond life and death. Star Wars is a spiritual story, so I think it make sense that we see not just the familial succession of parents to children, but peer through a glass at these deeper spiritual concepts about the nature of life and in Star Wars, the Force.

6. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    Something I wanted to elaborate on in my previous post. The battle in Star Was is an eternal one - the battle between good and evil.

Focusing the themes of a fourth trilogy on generations of heroes and their bonds to this same eternal struggle would give the story weight and deeper spiritual meaning - it would thematically connect the stories and allow them to springboard off of this to move forward into the future and tell brand new stories or move into the past to tell brand new stories. Either way, it's a way of saying that these characters fought for good in the Galaxy at this point in time, but the struggle is eternal and it is one that connects heroes throughout and beyond time. There were heroes before the Skywalkers and there will be heroes after them. But the battle will always be the same, the fundamental struggles they face will remain universal.

This would fit well with the concepts of balance and preservation of this newly built, fledgling Jedi Order and New Republic in an unstable Galaxy. They could sort of explore the unknown regions conceptually - as an idea, the unknown is fascinating, but also terrifying. The First Order apparently emerged from the Unknown regions (not explained in the movies). Who knows what else is out there? Even if today's threat, the First Order is defeated, what about the threats of tomorrow? The future itself is the greatest unknown. How can this small group of new Jedi prepare for an uncertain future and the nebulous evils they might face - the phantom menace that always lurks in the shadows which succeeded twice in destroying more well established orders of Jedi.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  7. intravenusdemilo

intravenusdemilo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    My exact thoughts. I feel to do it "well"....there will be too much to cram into a single 2hourish film.

If it serves the greater good. And make a better story...I'm all for it.

That said, I think the odds are low that Ep IX becomes two-parter. Even if it would be better that way.

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'd be fine with it. Hell your at 9. Mine as well go for 10.

9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    My sister thinks so. Right after she saw TLJ she said TFA now feels like a prologue and TLJ feels like part one of the "real" Disney-LFL Star Wars trilogy.

Was a very enlightening comment from someone totally disconnected from the fandom.

B3, Star war, MasterPrince713 and 4 others like this.
  10. PSUIndyRunner

PSUIndyRunner Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2018
    I tend to agree with the OP. It seems as though there is almost too much ground to cover in just one movie to explain how the Resistance/Rebellion is able to regroup and take down the FO without leaving the audience questioning how the hell did they get from VIII to IX?

I think ultimately the answer is that there will be a large time jump between TLJ and IX and the blanks for the intervening years will get filled in by Disney’s next SW cartoon series after Rebels goes off the air. Just seems like there is a lot of opportunity for so much story that could be told about new characters Disney is trying to push.

11. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I wouldn't say no for the sole purpose to explore the new lore and philosophies. But alas, everyone is only contracted for three.

jaqen likes this.
  12. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Nah, there will be a time jump between TLJ and IX and the ST will wrapped up nicely.

It might feel disjointed to some, but there was a decade-long time jump between TPM and AOTC and the world kept turning.

I feel sorry for those who detest TLJ. To me, it's a fantastic addition to the saga and the ST kicks serious ass.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Quadrilogy?! NO.

The ST up to this point has messed with my mind enough...[face_hypnotized];)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Dagobah_Dude likes this.
  14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Part Four of a trilogy never goes well.
    Think Superman, Alien, Jaws.
    Daisy will drop out to do some British period drama and they'll hire Anna Kendrick.
    And Adam Driver will only agree to do a weeks shooting, so General Hux will be promoted to being the main villain.

15. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Firstly, I object to this! I neither love TLJ nor do I hate it. I like it just fine, but it's a very middle-of-the-road installment for me. Just for reference, I LOVE ANH, ESB, TFA, RO. I quite dislike all three PT. TLJ is quite in the middle AFAIAC.

That said, I don't think the ST should be expanded. The ST is very much a continuation of the Skywalkers, their connection to the Force, and their impact on life and death in the galaxy. As originally planned, it SHOULD end with the next one. With a skilled storyteller, most loose ends can be wrapped up. Whatever isn't, can be explored in other media.

The next trilogy, duology, single movie, whatever LFL/Disney fancies, should focus on something other than the Skywalkers. There is SO MUCH to mine in this awesome galaxy; it's a bit dull to keep focussed on the Resistance vs. the Empire/First Order, and how Skywalkers keep that battle alive.

GregMcP likes this.
  16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I am in the middle with TLJ too.
    Lots I loved. Plenty of bits that I wish were different, or pushed the boundaries of logic.
    It is neither at the top nor bottom of my rankings.

forever_jedi likes this.
  17. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I see no reason to be attached to the trilogy format. If you need one movie fine. If you need two fine. Four is fine.

Tell your story. Could it be done in three? Yes. Is that the best thing? I don't think so at all and we have already seen this hurt the effectiveness of the Prequels already by skipping the Clone Wars (aka the part may of were most interested in anyway), at least in my opinion.

While it worked smashingly by most accounts with the OT, I'm not sure it is some magical storytelling structure.

So, by all means. Make it so! Punch it!

18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    None of those are intended trilogies that got a surprise 4th part. They're just the 4th parts of series.

And there have been quite a few acclaimed, successful 4th parts. It's too easy to note the failures and disappointments.

X-Men: First Class
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    Jurassic World
    MI: Ghost Protocol
    Star Trek: Voyage Home
    Thunderball
    Land of the Dead
    Mad Max: Fury Road

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Dogs journey? :p

mlsw likes this.
  20. mike778

mike778 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2012
    -Episode 7 saw the rise of the FO from almost a terrorist like threat to a serious galaxy wide threat that wipes out the new republic
    -Episode 8 sees the FO (nearly) wipe out the resistance
    -Episode 9 will probably see the resistance come back and save the day

Another film doesn't really fit in and would look like filler. It will need a time jump and probably cut down on the sub-plots but there's no reason the general political storyline shouldn't fit neatly into the trilogy. I don't think we need an 'in-between' film showing the resistance recovering but not quite ready to fight back.

The complaints about character development of the new guys probably shows why Solo had to die in Episode 7 and why Luke had to die in Episode 8 - keeping them all around with the new characters just wouldn't work. So unless you were going to either keep the old guys entirely in the background or just make it all about them - they had to go.

Regarding Episode 10-12. This should come to a natural conclusion in Episode 9 but would like to see the bridge unburned. Something like defeated but not destroyed Kylo Ren forced into exile works for me.

Wonder if they will find out Leia had another kid hidden away who comes to save the day.

21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Actually it's metaphorically a blank canvas. Only a blank canvas is literally a black canvas.:p

22. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    I think killing Ren would go against everything Han and even Anakin would have wanted for him. I can't believe how many people really believe Ren is irredeemable when Vader had done so much worse.

Imo the best thing for Ben is not exile but rather becoming a Jedi once more, spending his life atoning by becoming a protector of the weak and innocent. Basically what Anakin couldn't do.

In my perfect world the ST would have been better written and the next trilogy would take place about a century later, at minimum. There needs to be some sort of lasting peace in the galaxy and a major time jump would give the next set of films a completely free canvas to tell the story's they want without contradicting established canon. The Skywalker bloodline can still be the connective thread of the movies and a massive time jump would allow such an individual to be played by practically anyone.

I agree that the OT characters needed to make way for the new. I think a lot of people really expected the ST to follow the adventures of three 50+ years olds, which I find a bit silly.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

23. mike778

mike778 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2012
    Had enough of people being redeemed. In the same way not all Jedi should be Skywalkers, we don't need to see most of them be converted to the dark side then redeemed. In the same way that Rey being a Skywalker would be a cheap shot predictable move - Kylo Ren being redeemed would be another cheap shot predictable move. I liked TFA but it was good at these cheap shots. I liked TLJ more because it didn't go down that route. Hopefully we've seen the end of that now.

Kylo Ren is maybe the most interesting baddie in Star Wars. He has made his choice - become the big bad now let it play out properly and let him die a bad guy or end the saga as the last remaining dark side force user.

Rhyoth likes this.
  24. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    The saga is about the Skywalkers, so unless Adam Driver would be up for doing EpX, then no, it won't happen. I can see this wrapping up in EpIX. Kylo will destroy the FO, roll credits.

25. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    Ok... this has been on my mind for some time. Why do we need the sequel films to form a trilogy?
    I mean, With the prequels Lucas painted himself into a corner and had to make three films since there was three missing Episodes to fill. The result was an extremely condensed third movie.

My question is why does the currently storyline have to wrap up with Episode IX?
    Why not continue on into X or even XI?
    If the story can find a natural and satisfying conclusion in IX then fair enough, obviously. But If JJ needs more time why not continue on into another movie. Where did this unwritten rule come from? Has Kathleen Kennedy explicitly stated that the intention is to film only a trilogy for this particular storyline?